RTÉ

Started by seafoid, March 24, 2017, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

RTÉ have an ongoing deficit problem - estimated at EUR 20m this year. They have decided to flog around 8 acres of land in their Dublin 4 campus, roysh, for EUR 75m
http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/lossmaking-rt-to-cut-300-jobs-and-could-raise-75m-from-prime-d4-site-35554069.html

but there are big questions around their business model especially in the age of the internet.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/adapt-or-die-time-for-rt%C3%A9-but-what-does-its-future-look-like-1.3022222

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

They could get rid of RTE News Now for a start. Was watching it yesterday for the funeral and in between their live footage, just were just cycling a bulletin of about four stories.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: gallsman on March 24, 2017, 10:40:27 AM
They could get rid of RTE News Now for a start. Was watching it yesterday for the funeral and in between their live footage, just were just cycling a bulletin of about four stories.
At that rate it must be one of their cheaper outputs.
I'd say you could cut half the staff and there'd be no noticeable dis-improvement.
I've heard examples of people in RTE whose actual work disappeared with technology improvements, but still hang around, in theory performing the job they were hired to do, in reality doing barely a tap.

From the Bunker

Most have taken a drop in wages since this article. But you look at the spoofers and the wages they commanded! Crazy!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/film-and-tv/top-10-earners-rte-revealed-7562056

RTE is on the way out! The way people watch TV or their interest in TV is different.

Like the decline in Newspapers sales, People don't depend on RTE News to know what is going on nationally or internationally!

seafoid

The main problem is the audience migrating and taking advertising with them. Young wans aren't watching telly.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Yes, the youth are not watching. And if they are, there is such a choice that they usually spend on a short length of time on your channel. RTE still commands the attention of older viewers. Problem is they are a dying breed. An older viewers are not ones for spending. Hence advertisers are not attracted.

lawnseed

The place needs a dungout. Way to many pro Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael stoges about the place and it seems you have to be related to a former presenter or former politician or gay to get a job in the place. The wages are crazy for crappy presenters like fukn tubridy or that w**ker Marty whelan.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Eamonnca1

Last time I looked at the schedule on RTE2 (do they still call it "Network 2?"), most of the day would have been spent watching non-Irish produced content. You'd only hear an Irish accent in the ads and continuity.

I gave up trying to watch their online stuff ages ago. Too much buffering.

I happen to be a supporter of public broadcasting and I'd hate to see the license fee abolished. They have public broadcasting here in the states but it's all very low budget and has to go begging to the viewers and listeners for a few weeks every year during excruciating "pledge drives" where they sit there for ten minutes at a time repeating themselves about why you should make a donation.

magpie seanie

While there is a noticeable decline in their top earners salaries in recent years the people getting €200,000 to €500,000 are being grossly overpaid. No one is worth that for a few hours of TV and radio a week, even with the work that goes on beforehand in preparation. These wages would give an indication that perhaps people are being overpaid and underworked across the organisation. RTE to be fair do some good things but they need to adjust to the fact that they don't have a bottomless pit of money to dig into.

I would advise the new DG to take a month in Baile na hAbhann to see how a proper TV station is run on a fraction of RTE's budget. 

MoChara

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2017, 01:23:00 PM
While there is a noticeable decline in their top earners salaries in recent years the people getting €200,000 to €500,000 are being grossly overpaid. No one is worth that for a few hours of TV and radio a week, even with the work that goes on beforehand in preparation. These wages would give an indication that perhaps people are being overpaid and underworked across the organisation. RTE to be fair do some good things but they need to adjust to the fact that they don't have a bottomless pit of money to dig into.

I would advise the new DG to take a month in Baile na hAbhann to see how a proper TV station is run on a fraction of RTE's budget.

For sure TG4 has massively improved content over RTE, especially in local political sporting and even now nature documentaries

Avondhu star

Quote from: MoChara on March 27, 2017, 01:36:21 PM

For sure TG4 has massively improved content over RTE, especially in local political sporting and even now nature documentaries
"Massively improved" with a massive subsidy
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Avondhu star on March 27, 2017, 07:30:21 PM
Quote from: MoChara on March 27, 2017, 01:36:21 PM

"Massively improved" with a massive subsidy
How else could they afford to deliver content?

the staff double and triple job on various shows - weather, announcing etc