The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

@davidgura

One child's prescription cocktail included Latuda, Geodon, Olanzapine, Benztropin, Clonazepam, Divalproex, Duloxetine, and Guanfacine. (link: https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1009478741339369472)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2018, 10:24:16 PM
@davidgura

One child's prescription cocktail included Latuda, Geodon, Olanzapine, Benztropin, Clonazepam, Divalproex, Duloxetine, and Guanfacine. (link: https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1009478741339369472)
has all this stuff just start happening in the last week ?

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on June 20, 2018, 10:33:45 PM
@davidgura

If it's true it started under Obama, so we probably won't see burning pitchforks on this one

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: whitey on June 20, 2018, 11:07:02 PM
@davidgura

If it's true it started under Obama, so we probably won't see burning pitchforks on this one

If its true?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Safer deleting your account and slipping off quietly Whitey, you've had a mare this last few days! The Big Orange guy hasn't helped you .

whitey

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 21, 2018, 12:25:47 AM
Quote from: whitey on June 20, 2018, 11:07:02 PM
@davidgura

If its true?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Safer deleting your account and slipping off quietly Whitey, you've had a mare this last few days! The Big Orange guy hasn't helped you .

Lol.....so do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I have had anything but a mare.....I think I argued my points quite well without resorting to calling people cvnts, fascists etc like some other posters.

My Facebook friends who are always out with the burning pitchforks started about a month ago with the "Trump lost 1500 kids" story.  When that didn't stick they then set their hair in fire about the "kids in cages"  outrage. When it was pointed out that those pictures occurred under Obama, they settled down again for a week or 2. Then it started up again this week with the current story

Because this could be pinned directly on Trump it gained traction, but please spare me the selective outrage

joemamas

There was a segment on CBS world news ( not exactly a trump love fest), but they interviewed a poor woman from along the border, who was thinking of crossing  the border with her grandson , but now was afraid to in case they would be separated.
Reporter asked her why she was going to US , she replied, " the Cartels have killed the rest of my family and she was afraid to stay. "  is that also Trump's fault ?
I also think it is terrible separating families, but if folks believe that all the blame lies with Trump, they are off their rocker.
The liberal media in the US are scrambling right now for anything negative.
The economy is booming, unemployment is at 3.8% , ie, full employment
the FBI nonsense is coming to a head , and they need something to distract the American people about feeling good about themselves.

Oraisteach

Whitey, since you spend hours upon hours upon hours listening to political shows before going home to do further research, and you don't read the New York Times, SPECIFICALLY from what sources DO you get your information?

seafoid

Quote from: joemamas on June 21, 2018, 02:43:19 AM
There was a segment on CBS world news ( not exactly a trump love fest), but they interviewed a poor woman from along the border, who was thinking of crossing  the border with her grandson , but now was afraid to in case they would be separated.
Reporter asked her why she was going to US , she replied, " the Cartels have killed the rest of my family and she was afraid to stay. "  is that also Trump's fault ?
I also think it is terrible separating families, but if folks believe that all the blame lies with Trump, they are off their rocker.
the FBI nonsense is coming to a head , and they need something to distract the American people about feeling good about themselves.
There isn't full employment. the labor participation rate never recovered from 2008
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Most of the new jobs don't pay much either.
If the economy was booming the Fed wouldn't be in charge

J70

Quote from: joemamas on June 21, 2018, 02:43:19 AM

The blame for Trump is for the vindictive, callous family separation policy. That was his decision. No one else's. Obama didn't do it, Dubya didn't do it, Reagan didn't do it.

And if you don't think this issue is newsworthy, that says a lot about you.

sid waddell

What I do find hilarious about all this is how all US media keeps saying that "this is not what America stands for". The constant need for Americans to proclaim themselves as a great country unique in its virtue.

It's the opposite. It's a country that was built on genocide, slavery, racism, bigotry and colonialism. It was built on an absolutely rotten past and has a rotten present. And yet it still keeps trying to fool itself that it wasn't and isn't.

The US should take a look at Germany, and learn to confront its past and admit to itself that the notion of "American exceptionalism", "unique American virtue", that it is a "shining city on the hill" is so much utter nonsense. It's national self-delusion on a grand scale.

Hardy

Manifest destiny, don't you know.

gallsman

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2018, 11:45:46 AM
Manifest destiny, don't you know.

Heading upward rather than westward now by the looks of things. Have just seen the video about the Space Force he wants. Genuinely had to check that it wasn't April Fool's.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 21, 2018, 10:11:37 AM
What I do find hilarious about all this is how all US media keeps saying that "this is not what America stands for". The constant need for Americans to proclaim themselves as a great country unique in its virtue.

It's the opposite. It's a country that was built on genocide, slavery, racism, bigotry and colonialism. It was built on an absolutely rotten past and has a rotten present. And yet it still keeps trying to fool itself that it wasn't and isn't.

The US should take a look at Germany, and learn to confront its past and admit to itself that the notion of "American exceptionalism", "unique American virtue", that it is a "shining city on the hill" is so much utter nonsense. It's national self-delusion on a grand scale.

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. " Friedrich Nietzsche

In fairness the US has been better run in the past than it is now under the plutocracy

J70

Americans aren't oblivious to the darker side of its past (and present). Liberals are constantly mocked by the right for "white guilt" and a whole movement is in progress on parts of the right to try to get a more pro-America or America-right-or-wrong version of history into schools, with curricula coming out of places like Texas which attempt to downplay the role and horrors of slavery and the Native American genocide and dispossession and so on (similar to their attempts to corrupt science teaching). And I'm sure you remember the right getting apoplectic over Obama's "apology tour" after he took office, when he committed what they perceived as the traitorous sin of acknowledging the US's poor choices and policies at times over the years.

The "we're America, bitch" (literal words from a White House official last week to describe the "Trump doctrine"!) element is definitely a dominant feature of, at least, the running of the country right now, but I think its correct to point out that, at least from an aspirational perspective, the cruelty and bigotryof the Trump administration, embodied in the separation and segregation of families, is NOT what America stands for and is partly why, for the first time, he was forced to back down in the face of the furious backlash.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on June 21, 2018, 12:29:11 PM

Americans aren't oblivious to the darker side of its past (and present). Liberals are constantly mocked by the right for "white guilt" and a whole movement is in progress on parts of the right to try to get a more pro-America or America-right-or-wrong version of history into schools, with curricula coming out of places like Texas which attempt to downplay the role and horrors of slavery and the Native American genocide and dispossession and so on (similar to their attempts to corrupt science teaching). And I'm sure you remember the right getting apoplectic over Obama's "apology tour" after he took office, when he committed what they perceived as the traitorous sin of acknowledging the US's poor choices and policies at times over the years.

The "we're America, bitch" (literal words from a White House official last week to describe the "Trump doctrine"!) element is definitely a dominant feature of, at least, the running of the country right now, but I think its correct to point out that, at least from an aspirational perspective, the cruelty and bigotryof the Trump administration, embodied in the separation and segregation of families, is NOT what America stands for and is partly why, for the first time, he was forced to back down in the face of the furious backlash.
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions quoted a line from the Bible to justify the policy of family separation.   Back in the good ol days in Dixie it had been used to justify slavery. Sessions is as close to Confederate as can be. That is definitely a step backwards.