JP McManus - Christmas comes early

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 24, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2018, 10:54:48 PM
JP McManus' tax issue is not new news. So to those people using the news of the donation to the GAA clubs as an opportunity to vent about his tax status, would you be happier if he didn't give this money to the GAA and will you be lobbying your club not to accept it as a point of principle?
Of course not. But plenty of GAA folk popped at rugby and soccer taking O'Briens cash...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2018, 11:38:01 AM
What is it with Right wing extremists and their naked hatred of Mr. Soros?
He is Jewish

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on September 27, 2018, 04:03:29 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 03:46:45 PM

We could go down a route (I think the US has something like this), where if an Irish resident wishes to move tax residence elsewhere, part of the process is that he hands in his Irish passport.

The US is neither partitioned nor has lost at various stages since independence half its people to emigration in search of work.
You are comparing an offshored billionaire to someone who had to emigrate to work?

sid waddell

We could go down a route (I think the US has something like this), where if an Irish resident wishes to move tax residence elsewhere, part of the process is that he hands in his Irish passport.

The US is neither partitioned nor has lost at various stages since independence half its people to emigration in search of work.

Have you ever looked at a map?

What other US state does Alaska border?

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 28, 2018, 02:33:09 PM

::) Do you know what partition means?

armaghniac

The US bought Alaska, it is like a farmer buying an outfield. Hardly a tragedy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Is this a serious comment?

omaghjoe

In theory it should be interesting how a topic could go from gaa clubs getting a few extra pounds to Alaska becoming a us state.
In practice tho.... :-\

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 29, 2018, 05:18:46 AM
In theory it should be interesting how a topic could go from gaa clubs getting a few extra pounds to Alaska becoming a us state.

It just took one clampit to steer away off topic and low and behold pages of crap... this was a three page topic at best on what he done and how well it will be received by clubs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2018, 08:03:26 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 29, 2018, 05:18:46 AM

It just took one clampit to steer away off topic and low and behold pages of crap... this was a three page topic at best on what he done and how well it will be received by clubs
Asking should the GAA accept money from source x is not off topic in a thread about x giving money to the GAA in the context of x not paying tax

bennydorano

I hope all the conscientous objectors have written letters to their clubs' management committees imploring them to reject the funds out of hand.

thejuice

I'm glad of the money especially for my club as we are trying to sort out a new pitch but I still don't like tax dodging and currency speculation but none of that is ever going to go away it seems. Not much more to say is there really?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

trileacman

Quote from: thejuice on September 29, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
I'm glad of the money especially for my club as we are trying to sort out a new pitch but I still don't like tax dodging and currency speculation but none of that is ever going to go away it seems. Not much more to say is there really?

I'm sure JP probably doesn't like tax dodging or the ill effects of currency speculation either but if you're faced with the reality of it costing you several hundred million euro I'm sure your moral objections would diminish fairly significantly.

I'm not saying JP is the good guy but the C Montgomery Burns charicature of Irish billionaires is something I find to be unfair. They're really the same as you or me the sole difference being they're a lot more successful at being greedy than we are.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

thejuice

I don't hold onto any caricatures of Irish billionaires and I'm sure handing over millions to the government isn't a joyful experience but with public services badly in need of funding it's not like we can ignore it. Not that I expect anything to be done about it either.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Quote from: trileacman on September 29, 2018, 08:20:38 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 29, 2018, 07:46:18 PM

I'm sure JP probably doesn't like tax dodging or the ill effects of currency speculation either but if you're faced with the reality of it costing you several hundred million euro I'm sure your moral objections would diminish fairly significantly.

I'm not saying JP is the good guy but the C Montgomery Burns charicature of Irish billionaires is something I find to be unfair. They're really the same as you or me the sole difference being they're a lot more successful at being greedy than we are.
Speak for yourself buck.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM