Pete McGrath - new Fermanagh manager

Started by FermGael, November 07, 2013, 08:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

week before last it was stated that there would be an announcement Thursday but McGrath himself said he wasn't contacted until Monday. Whole thing seems a bit last minute.

T Fearon

It is an indisputable fact that today,teams with genuine aspirations to be successful,appoint younger vibrant managers.Tyrone did this back in late 2002 even.

I suppose in Fermanagh's and Pete Mc Grath's cases, beggars can't be choosers.But when a club team in your own county doesnt have faith in you,how can any county team do so?

spirit0f91and94

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2013, 01:00:54 AM
It is an indisputable fact that today,teams with genuine aspirations to be successful,appoint younger vibrant managers.Tyrone did this back in late 2002 even.

I suppose in Fermanagh's and Pete Mc Grath's cases, beggars can't be choosers.But when a club team in your own county doesnt have faith in you,how can any county team do so?

Tony, Pete left Bryansford of his own doing and is held in high regard by them - don't take them into your quotes without the facts - as TO'Hare said he won them a Ulster U21 FC last year and perhaps felt the time was right to move on. One of the nice GAA Guys is 100%!

Line Ball

The win in Ulster last year gave him a stay of execution, otherwise he would have been gone.  I am lead to believe that his outdated methods of training and man management meant that many players did not take to him.  He has not moved on with the times and this has been clearly evident while watching both Bryansford and Down Minors over the last year or two.

I really feel for Fermanagh.  I think they have been sold a pup here.  Mc Grath has a good track record from what he did 20 years ago but has done little since.  Unless he gets a decent backroom team around him, I can't see him doing anything in Fermanagh.  Is there any word who is with him? 

muppet

How do teams know whether their aspirations are 'genuine' or not, or that their managers are 'vibrant' for that matter?

Of course this subjectivity is 'an indisputable fact'.

I am literally blown away by this logic, as Tony might say.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Genuinely aspired teams include in recent years,Kerry,Donegal,Mayo,who,when faced with a change of manager,opted for youth,and successfully so.

I have no doubt Peter Mc Grath is a nice guy,great Gael, achieved great things twenty years ago,but this doesnt mean he will bring success to Fermanagh.

This is a Trappatoni like appointment, a legendary manager,past his sell by date.Bet he won't even go to watch Club games,just the same as trap as well!

CD

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2013, 06:09:12 PM
Genuinely aspired teams include in recent years,Kerry,Donegal,Mayo,who,when faced with a change of manager,opted for youth,and successfully so.

I have no doubt Peter Mc Grath is a nice guy,great Gael, achieved great things twenty years ago,but this doesnt mean he will bring success to Fermanagh.

This is a Trappatoni like appointment, a legendary manager,past his sell by date.Bet he won't even go to watch Club games,just the same as trap as well!

Agreed. No doubt about his pedigree but I was really surprised by this one. I felt sure a young, hungry manger would get this post. There is potential for a promotion for Fermanagh next year with a bit of luck.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

T Fearon

You have to ask why the likes of Mc Ginnity (enjoying enormous success with Roslea) obviously wasn't interested? Surely he'd have been a shoo in.

rodney trotter

Fermanagh have had 4/5 retirements since the Championship and lost Shane McCabe to soccer with Glenavon, along with some  very average championship performances this year- the job wouldn't have been that appealing for many big names.

Banty wasn't interested and a few others so fair play to Pete McGrath for taking it on.

T Fearon

So a double All Ireland winning manager is tenth choice to manage Fermanagh? What a come down from ten years ago when he was offered the Dublin job after Tommy Lyons departed.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2013, 10:51:03 PM
So a double All Ireland winning manager is tenth choice to manage Fermanagh? What a come down from ten years ago when he was offered the Dublin job after Tommy Lyons departed.
The Armagh manager who won the double- what was his name?

T Fearon

Completely irrelevant to the topic,which is Fermanagh's decision to appoint Pete Mc Grath and his decision to accept it.

PAULD123

Pete McGrath took a team which finished easily beaten in the 2nd division final and turned them into constant championship contenders. With a bit of luck Bryansford could have reached a final on at least one of those few years but it is just tough luck they didn't. But they certainly were a serious contender on each of the last three years.

That is for people who claim he has done nothing in the last 20 years since winning the biggest prize in the sport!!!

A lot of people just actually don't check their facts before jumping in with both feet. But lets have a look:

2004 Louth League Division 1 (Cooley Kickhams)
2007 Down Senior League Football Division 1 (An Riocht)
2008 Ulster Under-21 Football Championship (Down)
2009 Ulster Under-21 Football Championship (Down) & All-Ireland finalists
2012 Down Under-21 Football Championship (Bryansford)
2013 Ulster U21 Championship (Bryansford)

Yes lets be honest, the county minors didn't go to plan this last few years. Some very good talent failed to live up to expectations. But to say he has done/won nothing in twenty years is just plain wrong.

And by the way - Pete certainly WILL watch club games. Again - learn something about the man before you make your statements!

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2013, 05:49:57 PM

How do teams know whether their aspirations are 'genuine' or not, or that their managers are 'vibrant' for that matter?

Of course this subjectivity is 'an indisputable fact'.

I am literally blown away by this logic, as Tony might say.
Not too many teams about with genuine aspirations this year when you look at Roslea, Clonoe, Cross & Kilcoo.

Down Follower

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2013, 10:51:03 PM

Get over yourself man will you.  You have no right to make fun of a man of his calibre and committment to the GAA.  He is a man who could teach you a thing or two about the game never mind respect.

You talk about ten years ago, well in the last 10 years, Pete has managed teams to County titles, Ulster titles and All Ireland Finals as well as managed the Ireland team in that time.  Thats what you call a real GAA man, not someone like you who decides to make fun of him.