Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cranfield

Big spake is right. Great player and a great year in 09 but too many off days in a saffron jersey after that when in his prime. Unplayable at club level (though Aidan Gallagher may disagree) and actually more effective the last number of years as cargin have dominated. But can't recall him playing for Antrim the way he has for cargin.

Spike

There aren't many Antrim players who can say they have consistently performed (probably due to various managerial issues over the years) so we should be thankful some of them did, as our limited top men were always targeted. Off the top of the head Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Cavan, Fermanagh, Wicklow.....    and Aidso im sure would have thanked Big Burkey (another useful county man) for his assistance in club games.

I forgot about Joe Quinn when he burst onto the scene, John McManus was always a super player and had high hopes for Kevin Doyle.   

This exercise just highlights what talent we actually had

paddyjohn

Quote from: Spike on December 06, 2019, 12:09:45 PM
There aren't many Antrim players who can say they have consistently performed (probably due to various managerial issues over the years) so we should be thankful some of them did, as our limited top men were always targeted. Off the top of the head Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Cavan, Fermanagh, Wicklow.....    and Aidso im sure would have thanked Big Burkey (another useful county man) for his assistance in club games.

I forgot about Joe Quinn when he burst onto the scene, John McManus was always a super player and had high hopes for Kevin Doyle.   

This exercise just highlights what talent we actually had

The talent we had was superb, the 1997 team that won the AI B title was very good

CountyColours

Mick - no doubt a great player for Antrim and Club, he had a few good days in an Antrim Jersey... but I have to say, I've never rated him as highly as some people. To be considered as the best of the last 20-40 years, then for example, during that 10+ year period when St Galls and Cargin were both at the top of their powers, I think he should have pushed Cargin over the line more often. I can't remember him standing out whenever those two teams met – and I'm not say he had poor performances, he was always solid. There wasn't much between those two teams despite what the roll of honour says.

James Loughrey is the best I've seen for Antrim. Kobo not too far behind him – different type of player of course, as a corner back it's always difficult to stand out and take the glory... but I can't remember seeing many (if any) county forwards get much change from him -  and he's been up against a few good ones. Sean Kelly was a special talent as well.

Spike

Sure its all about opinions and certain matches people saw and didn't see, rose tinted memories and sure every player has had their off days.  For me the majority of big county performances as past 20 years for Antrim coincided with Michael McCann excelling so the likes the Donegal in Ballybofey, Cavan in Clones, Galway in Casement, Wicklow in Croker and Kerry in Tullamore hold great memories.  Easy to do so when the other years had so much drudgery. There isnt many average players in Antrim get an All Star nomination. But as i said, its a game of opinions

imtommygunn

He cleaned one of the McGee's out in that Donegal game but then the other one went on him and he wasn't as effective. It was too late for Donegal then. I think it was Eamon he cleaned out. Neil has since proved to have been as good a full back as is about. (with the help of a few dark arts lol) so no shame there in being nullified a bit.

CountyColours

True Spike, you make fair points and he was worthy of his nomination - he was excellent that year for us. The run we went on will live long in the memory.

Milltown Row2

Did Mick ever line out for Ulster in the Railway Cup?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cranfield

The last time we played Donegal in championship Odhran McNiallis cleaned Mick out for about 6 points.

Maybe it's a tad unfair to pick out one bad performance but that day he looked disinterested. Very talented player but in his prime he had tendency to not turn up in big games for club and county.

bannside

Michael could be a 9/10 or a 5/10 on any given day. That's my problem with him - maybe we expected the Rolls Royce performance every day and that's probably not realistic.

For example his performance against Creggan in the 2018 county final had Damian Cassidy calling him a Rolls Royce. But a week later he didnt touch leather against Gweedore, he was man marked out of it from the first whistle. I think that's the inconsistency people are referring to. Whereas a Sean Kelly or KMG seemed to pull out a 8/10 every time it mattered. That's my point and I'm sure Cargin people who love the guy know exactly what I'm talking about. Despite this, for some moments of brilliance as Spike says in many of the games we recall, Mick does enough to make it into my top five.

The first Cargin player on my team of the decade or last 20 years would be the ultra consistent and dependable Justin Crozier without a doubt. With Kobo not far away when he was injury free which seems to be years ago and of course the TS Express himself.

Spike

CRF - Think you're being a bit harsh there, firstly McNiallis got 4 points, wasn't directly up against Michael in midfield, and Antrim's strange tactic was to not contest any kickouts and to let the opposition carry it unopposed to the Antrim 40 yard line.  No surprise but Donegal got 25 points and Antrim as a team gave up relatively early. 

Can't agree with you at all about Antrim's big Days - reference earlier posts - the only big days of success we have had and Michael played well. Go figure.  Same goes for Niblock, Gallagher and Loughrey - when they played well, Antrim played well.   At club level i think he has 5 or so championship medals - must have done well in some those matches

BS - thought Mick had a good 2nd half against Gweedore, was poor in the 1st. Sean K to me was a 7 to 9 out of 10 club player, a 5 out of 10 at county level. McGourty was a maverick at club level - superb when it mattered but sure for Antrim you never knew if he would actually show up for the match so utterly undependable. Crozier and Kobo great servants to Cargin and dependable every week for club or county.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion of players, some rate others, some dont, thats the great thing about sport.

Cranfield

Wow..I can even begin to contest any of that Spike!

Fair play to you but in all seriousness how the heck do you know so much tactical detail about a particular game Mick...sorry I mean Spike  ;D

Great sensible mature debate on this board which isn't always the case!  8)

Spike

Quote from: Cranfield on December 06, 2019, 02:50:08 PM
Wow..I can even begin to contest any of that Spike!

Fair play to you but in all seriousness how the heck do you know so much tactical detail about a particular game Mick...sorry I mean Spike  ;D

Great sensible mature debate on this board which isn't always the case!  8)

Lol, the uncontested kickouts strategy sticks in my head as I couldn't believe we were persisting with it. I can still see the picture of Frank McGlynn running up and down the left wing with noone tackling him - don't think ill see tactics like that ever again - certainly not at county level, perhaps u12s  ;)

The Kobo 'magician act' is a close 2nd!!  :D :D

bannside

The KMG I refer to is Kieran, who was TOTALLY dependable for St Galls, but of his four choices (St Galls F, St Galls H, Antrim H and Antrim F) unfortunately Antrim Football came fourth at all times. Therefore we didnt really see any of his ability at senior level.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on December 06, 2019, 02:27:24 PM
CRF - Think you're being a bit harsh there, firstly McNiallis got 4 points, wasn't directly up against Michael in midfield, and Antrim's strange tactic was to not contest any kickouts and to let the opposition carry it unopposed to the Antrim 40 yard line.  No surprise but Donegal got 25 points and Antrim as a team gave up relatively early. 

Can't agree with you at all about Antrim's big Days - reference earlier posts - the only big days of success we have had and Michael played well. Go figure.  Same goes for Niblock, Gallagher and Loughrey - when they played well, Antrim played well.   At club level i think he has 5 or so championship medals - must have done well in some those matches

BS - thought Mick had a good 2nd half against Gweedore, was poor in the 1st. Sean K to me was a 7 to 9 out of 10 club player, a 5 out of 10 at county level. McGourty was a maverick at club level - superb when it mattered but sure for Antrim you never knew if he would actually show up for the match so utterly undependable. Crozier and Kobo great servants to Cargin and dependable every week for club or county.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion of players, some rate others, some dont, thats the great thing about sport.

So with all that talent and able to produce it when it mattered why did they go missing in Ulster club?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea