Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Rossie11 on October 19, 2008, 05:41:51 PM
Castlerea is only 12 miles away if they make it out of Ross so they mightnt be done with the derbies yet.

Indeed many is the man who walked all 12 miles home from the Don Arms nightclub on a cold winters night.

moysider

Strange, strange setting for county finals today. A bit of a joke really. Atmosphere practically non existant in comparison with finals that were staged in Ballina, Cross, and Knockmore in recent years. Ok I may be a biased Northern crank but at least I was there today in what was a disappointing attendence. I was disappointed in that I did nt recognise many from the heartland [apart from the lads on the gate] If the county board insist on playing club and all county league games in McHale Park I can see more and more people stay home. Its not much fun.
As regards the senior match Ballagh were the better team I m convinced. But Charlestown had 3 good goal chances, converting 1. Dermot Higgins miss after their goal was massive as it killed the momentum they needed. I was also surprised by the lack of patience by Carlestown as they abandoned theire natural game and went for long speculative ball too soon instead of going through their running support game. Senior players like Tiernan and John Casey did their team no favours either by constantly badgering their own men while being less than convincing themselves. Charlestown will have lots of regrets after this and their chance may be gone as some of their better players wont be getting any better.

magpie seanie

QuoteRegarding ctown and ballagh, aside from claiming the non-mayo areas, who has claim on carracastle?

John Prenty.

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on October 19, 2008, 11:21:12 PM

Strange, strange setting for county finals today. A bit of a joke really. Atmosphere practically non existant in comparison with finals that were staged in Ballina, Cross, and Knockmore in recent years. Ok I may be a biased Northern crank but at least I was there today in what was a disappointing attendence. I was disappointed in that I did nt recognise many from the heartland [apart from the lads on the gate] If the county board insist on playing club and all county league games in McHale Park I can see more and more people stay home. Its not much fun.
As regards the senior match Ballagh were the better team I m convinced. But Charlestown had 3 good goal chances, converting 1. Dermot Higgins miss after their goal was massive as it killed the momentum they needed. I was also surprised by the lack of patience by Carlestown as they abandoned theire natural game and went for long speculative ball too soon instead of going through their running support game. Senior players like Tiernan and John Casey did their team no favours either by constantly badgering their own men while being less than convincing themselves. Charlestown will have lots of regrets after this and their chance may be gone as some of their better players wont be getting any better.

I'd say the weather kept all the neutrals away tbh. It was a shocking day especially around half 1, 2 when people would have to make up their mind to go.

If you're from Ballagh or Charlestown though you have no excuse. You could play the county final on the side of Croagh Patrick and I'd turn up if the club was involved

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on October 20, 2008, 03:03:45 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 19, 2008, 11:21:12 PM

I'd say the weather kept all the neutrals away tbh. It was a shocking day especially around half 1, 2 when people would have to make up their mind to go.

If you're from Ballagh or Charlestown though you have no excuse. You could play the county final on the side of Croagh Patrick and I'd turn up if the club was involved

I didnt think there was a particularly bad atmosphere at the game. The comeback staged by Charlestown gave them some hope, and added a bit of excitement to a somewhat one sided game. Ballaghs first half performance was simply brilliant but it may have dampened any excitement a close game would provide. They looked awesome in that first half but are guilty of sitting back a little in the second half. I wonder will many players get a call up? Barry Regan definitely deserves a shot. And so does James Kilcullen. Both were inspirational for Ballagh this year.

Barney

Well done to Ballagh. Hard work at underage over the years reaping a deserved reward.

You would guess that they will have a good shot at Connacht if they can re-focus.

highking

Where will the Ballagh - Eastern Harps game be played? Its a home game for Mayo champions but it has to be a county ground. Surely it would be daft bringing them both over to Castlebar or Ballina? Charlestown would be a good venue for it, but I don't think  it has intercounty status!!

Owenmoresider

Markievicz on November 9th. Sure Ballina played Tourlestrane over there last year, so it's a Sligo venue this time.

and that intercounty status thing is a pile of shite. Plenty of capable venues in the counties to hold these games, sure Charlestown would be grand, likewise Tubbercurry could be alright for games here. But it seems 2000 in a 20-30000 venue is the way to go as far as HQ is concerned.

OirthearMhaigheo

Great win for Ballagh on Sunday, they played some of their best football all year in the first half and that proved enough in the end. It was a really weird game though, we were all expecting a close game all through but the weather really put an end to that. It seemed the game was over at half time but the C'town goal made for an exciting second half and had Dermot Higgins effort gone in it could have been a different story. Ballagh seemed the hungrier team all in all and at club level when you have scoring forwards like Ballagh then they are hard to beat, Charlestown often had to double up on Moran and Regan which left the other lads too much space.
I don't know why people were so surprised by the attendance, there was a good showing from Ballagh and Charlestown but any neutral who was undecided at 1.30/2 would not have bothered going and I wouldn't blame them. The county board are a bit cheeky charging €15 into a stadium that doesn't have a stand and especially on a day like that. The game should have been in Ballina while the re-development work was going on,  maybe Ballina wouldn't agree to that but it would have made more sense.
Another local derby the next day anyway, lots of Gurteen lads went to Nathy's aswell so it should be some craic again. If the Ballagh boys get their heads right in time it should be a close one. The harps have more experience at this level but Ballagh look to have more firepower so I would fancy our chances....... as long as the lads remember where the football pitch is in time!!

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2008, 10:18:38 AM
QuoteRegarding ctown and ballagh, aside from claiming the non-mayo areas, who has claim on carracastle?

John Prenty.

ha ha you're probably right seanie!!

No one has 'claim' on it as it is a seperate parish and it really is a matter of if you live nearer Ballagh you go in there and if you live towards C'town that's where you play your football. The only boundary rules I am aware of are that Ballagh's area goes as far as the church in Carracastle and then C'town is the far side of the church, but neither club has a genuine claim to the village, I know lads who have lived nearer Charlestown but played for Ballagh and vice versa.

AbbeySider

Sickening Odds for Ballagh, in all fairness.

Connaught Club Football Championship
Ballaghdareen    11 - 10
Corofin    13 - 8
Eastern Harps    6 - 1
Pearses    12 - 1
Castlerea    12 - 1

AIB CONNACHT CLUB SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
Semi- Finals Sunday 9th November Replay 16th Nov
Eastern Harps v Ballaghderreen Markievicz Park

AIB CONNACHT CLUB INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
Semi-Finals 2nd November Extra Time
Aghamore (M) v Kilbride/Boyle(R) Charlestown

AIB CONNACHT CLUB JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
Semi-Finals 2nd November Extra Time in All Games
Eslin v Killala Cloone

Davitt Man

them odds might change when they find out about this news

MEANWHILE, Ballaghaderreen will be without Pearce Hanley when they begin their Connacht club championship campaign on Sunday, November 9 against Sligo's Eastern Harps.
The former Mayo underage star returns to Australia at the end of this week to commence pre-season training with the Brisbane Lions in the AFL.

rosnarun

how important was hanley at the final stage of the campaign . will it seriosly hamper the progression of ballagh. he wasn't overly impressive in the semi against Cross .but he was playing out of poostion against the countries top player. In reports from the final he didn't seem to figure too highly. but papers can be deceptive as Scorers tend to hoog the lime light.

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Davitt Man

Quote from: rosnarun on October 23, 2008, 10:51:44 AM
how important was hanley at the final stage of the campaign . will it seriosly hamper the progression of ballagh. he wasn't overly impressive in the semi against Cross .but he was playing out of poostion against the countries top player. In reports from the final he didn't seem to figure too highly. but papers can be deceptive as Scorers tend to hoog the lime light.

Hanley didnt do much for me, he was quiet, i expected more from him but then again he is being played out of position, he would have ripped c\town apart in the 1st half last sunday if he was playing at 11, he run at them time and time again.

Whats the story with young kilcullen, where has he gone??

rosnarun

he was named as a sub against cross but never came on
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere