Dónal Óg Cusack to join Clare backroom team for 2016

Started by MoChara, October 26, 2015, 12:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Dónal Óg Cusack to join Clare backroom team for 2016 - will quit GPA and Sunday Game roles

Donal Óg Cusack will be part of a Clare set-up that has struggled since its All-Ireland win in 2013

Former All-Ireland-winning Cork goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack has joined up with the Clare hurlers and will be part of the Davy Fitzgerald's management team for 2016.
Commenting on his new role with the Banner, Cusack said: "I am looking forward to the challenge and want to thank Davy Fitzgerald for the opportunity."
He also confirmed that he will be stepping down from his role as a pundit on RTÉ's The Sunday Game and that he will see out his term as chairperson of the Gaelic Players Association (GPA).
"Ahead of assuming my coaching position in Clare, I have met with RTÉ and following mutual agreement I have been released from my contract. I would like to sincerely thank RTÉ for the experience they have given me.
"I will be seeing out my term as chairperson of the GPA which will come to an end this year. 
"I have also spoken with my local club, Cloyne to confirm my decision to retire from club hurling. I would like to thank the club for the support it has shown me throughout my career," added Cusack.
Also new to Banner ticket is Jimmy Payne from Waterford, who previously worked with Davy Fitzgerald during his tenure as Déise boss. He has also held the role of strength and conditioning coach with various rugby, basketball and soccer teams, as well as the Laois senior hurlers and Cork senior footballers.
As an International Performance Boxing coach and tutor for ten years with the IABA, he has worked with Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin, Olympic gold medallist Ryan Burnett, and twice European Champion and World silver medallist Joe Ward. He is also the winner of four national boxing titles.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1026/737521-d/

From the Bunker

Donal Óg Cusack and Davy Fitzgerald together. A Journalists dream!

johnneycool

April the 1st???

Two head strong bolloxes, roles and responsibility will need clearly defined!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on October 26, 2015, 05:17:01 PM
April the 1st???

Two head strong bolloxes, roles and responsibility will need clearly defined!
Bound to end in tears.

heffo

Fair play to him for putting himself out there and packing in the RTE & GPA gigs, nice bit of freshening up from Davy Fitz - the real loser here though is the Aer Lingus Gold circle club - load factors on the Dublin-New York schedule are going to tumble.

Declan

Quotethe real loser here though is the Aer Lingus Gold circle club - load factors on the Dublin-New York schedule are going to tumble.

Was only thinking the same myself as  I spotted him there last Monday!

Ash Smoker

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2015, 08:16:31 PM
Fair play to him for putting himself out there and packing in the RTE & GPA gigs, nice bit of freshening up from Davy Fitz - the real loser here though is the Aer Lingus Gold circle club - load factors on the Dublin-New York schedule are going to tumble.

Aer Lingus reacts: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-is-set-to-call-time-on-its-business-flyer-gold-circle-club-34118164.html
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2015, 12:37:30 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2015, 08:16:31 PM

Aer Lingus reacts: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-is-set-to-call-time-on-its-business-flyer-gold-circle-club-34118164.html

This is just the beginning.

Is there anyone else within the GPA who'll take up the mantle and fly Business class to the states on a regular basis?