Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 22, 2020, 08:38:32 PM
Just saw on Facebook a post asking people to pick their best county team, that they have seen play, made up of only one player from each club. To pass a bit of time I did my own for Tyrone and it's harder than you might think to decide between players. For what it's worth....
Niall Morgan - Edendork
Jon Lynch - Castlederg
Ciaran McGarvey - Aghyaran
Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
Kevin McCabe - Clonoe
Conor Gormley - Carrickmore
Phillip Jordan - Moy
Eugene McKenna - Augher
Kevin Hughes - Killeeshil
Gerard Cavlan - Dungannon
Eoin Mulligan - Cookstown
Joe McMahon - Omagh
Steven O'Neill - Clan na Gael
Frank McGuigan - Ardboe
Peter Canavan - Errigal

No Hagan from Fianna - you are not wise. One of the greats he was. A lot of our great players played in the straight KO era, no second chances etc.
In saying that, this would be a tough team to pick considering the restriction of one player per club but Hagan must be on it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 22, 2020, 10:03:36 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 22, 2020, 08:38:32 PM
Just saw on Facebook a post asking people to pick their best county team, that they have seen play, made up of only one player from each club. To pass a bit of time I did my own for Tyrone and it's harder than you might think to decide between players. For what it's worth....
Niall Morgan - Edendork
Jon Lynch - Castlederg
Ciaran McGarvey - Aghyaran
Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
Kevin McCabe - Clonoe
Phillip Jordan - Moy
Eugene McKenna - Augher
Joe McMahon - Omagh
Steven O'Neill - Clan na Gael
Frank McGuigan - Ardboe
Peter Canavan - Errigal

No Hagan from Fianna - you are not wise. One of the greats he was. A lot of our great players played in the straight KO era, no second chances etc.
In saying that, this would be a tough team to pick considering the restriction of one player per club but Hagan must be on it.

Aye sure you could make a case for a few. Adrian Cush would have been another I'd have probably gone with if I'd given it a bit more thought.
That was never a square ball!!

bannside

You're not changing that ff line any time soon. Not only greatest in Tyrone......arguably the greatest ever!

skeog

Ronan Mc Namee our best full back not listed.

Angelo

Would have Cormac McAnallen in there somewhere.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Onthe40

love him or loathe him, surely cavanagh has to get a half fwd berth at least

GetOverTheBar

GaaFanatic123

1.   Niall Morgan Edendork
2.   Ricey Dromore
3.   Cormac McAnallen Eglish
4.   Tar Lynch Castlederg
5.   Petey Harte Errigal
6.   Block Gormley Carrickmore
7.   Kevin McCabe Clonoe
8.   Eugene McKenna Augher
9.   Sean Cav Moy
10.   Mattie Donnelly Trillick
11.   Damien O'Hagan Coalisland
12.   Brian Dooher Clann Na Gael
13.   Peter Canavan Errigal
14.   Frank McGuigan Ardboe
15.   Iggy Jones Dungannon

Players of note:
Had to drop Philly Jordan which meant I had to play Petey in there who I consider a weaker player but Impossible to leave out Sean Cavanagh on any team, on his day for he was the best in Ireland and will go down as one of the best ever! Anyone that's leaves him out hasn't a clue and needs their head checked!
Toss of a coin between Dooher and Stevie but went with Dooher because I hada fill the half forward line and the fact Dooher was the leader of the team that won the All Irelands and don't think I ever saw him play poorly!
I think Mattie has to make it also,2 all stars, Captained us to All Ireland final! He's one of few men who cud have possibly gotten on some of the winning teams in the 2000's! Another discussion another day perhaps on what current players wud have gotten on some of them teams that won the All Ireland!
Iggy Jones – Don't know much about himas in never saw him play but from what I hear he cant be left out

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: the_daddy on March 23, 2020, 02:55:18 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on March 23, 2020, 02:51:38 PM
2.   Ricey Dromore
5.   Peter Harte Errigal
7.   Kevin McCabe Clonoe
9.   Sean Cav Moy
13.   Peter Canavan Killyclogher Hurlers

Players of note:
Had to drop Philly Jordan which meant I had to play Petey in there who I consider a weaker player but Impossible to leave out Sean Cavanagh on any team, on his day for he was the best in Ireland and will go down as one of the best ever! Anyone that's leaves him out hasn't a clue and needs their head checked!
Toss of a coin between Dooher and Stevie but went with Dooher because I hada fill the half forward line and the fact Dooher was the leader of the team that won the All Irelands and don't think I ever saw him play poorly!
I think Mattie has to make it also,2 all stars, Captained us to All Ireland final! He's one of few men who cud have possibly gotten on some of the winning teams in the 2000's! Another discussion another day perhaps on what current players wud have gotten on some of them teams that won the All Ireland!
Iggy Jones – Don't know much about himas in never saw him play but from what I hear he cant be left out

Two from Errigal? Suppose it's a big enough parish  ;D
However, if you're including Iggy Jones having never saw him play you'd have to include Frankie Donnelly as well.

Aww shit, dam this is hard, updated there now sure :P

Gaafan2

Niall Morgan - Edendork
Joe McMahon - Omagh
Cormac McAnallen - Eglish
Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
Kevin McCabe - Clonoe
Mattie Donnelly - Trillick
Eugene McKenna - Augher
Sean Cavanagh - Moy
Steven O'Neill - Clann na nGael
Frank McGuigan - Ardboe
Peter Canavan - Errigal Ciaran

I've gone for Joe McMahon in the full back line just ahead of Jon Lynch. After all Joe did nullify the threat of the twin towers in there, in an All Ireland final.

I know Mattie Donnelly doesn't play half back but I reckon he could play there the very best.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on March 23, 2020, 02:51:38 PM
2.   Ricey Dromore
5.   Petey Harte Errigal
7.   Kevin McCabe Clonoe
9.   Sean Cav Moy
13.   Peter Canavan Errigal

Players of note:

I suppose anyone who can't read the very simple rules hasn't a clue and needs their head checked too.😜 In all seriousness though, in my view, Jordan was possibly the most consistent operator of that era. Can you ever remember him having an off day. My decision may also have been influenced by the fact that I'd just watched the 2005 final a few days before doing this and whilst Jordan was outstanding Sean was on the periphery. Sean was no doubt one of the best and would make most teams but I just happened to value Jordan more. It's a game of opinions. I was gutted it meant leaving Plunkett out too. I know people care little for the rules of things these days but it also said it should only include players you have seen play, as this is the only fair way to include players. That's why I left out iggy Jones.
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Jordan very underrated. Paul Galvin a hugely influential player when at the peak of his game but when he met Jordan he never counted at all. Great half back.

Million

1.   Niall Morgan - Edendork
2.   Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
3.   Ronan McNamee - Aghyaran
4.   Joe McMahon - Omagh
5.   Tiernan McCann - Killyclogher
6.   Conor Gormley - Carrickmore
7.   Mattie Donnelly - Trillick
8.   Cormac McAnallen - Eglish
9.   Kevin Hughes - Killeeshil
10.   Sean Cavanagh - Moy
11.   Gerard Cavlan - Dungannon
12.   Brian McGuigan - Ardboe
13.   Peter Canavan - Errigal Ciaran
14.   Eoin Mulligan - Cookstown
15.   Stephen O'Neill - Clann Na Gael

Frank Burns and Cathal McShane possibly could be in there somewhere, it's tough. Torn leaving Philly Jordan out although Cav has to be in there!

WT4E

Quote from: Million on March 26, 2020, 12:00:24 PM
1.   Niall Morgan - Edendork
2.   Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
3.   Ronan McNamee - Aghyaran
4.   Joe McMahon - Omagh
5.   Tiernan McCann - Killyclogher
6.   Conor Gormley - Carrickmore
7.   Mattie Donnelly - Trillick
8.   Cormac McAnallen - Eglish
9.   Kevin Hughes - Killeeshil
10.   Sean Cavanagh - Moy
11.   Gerard Cavlan - Dungannon
12.   Brian McGuigan - Ardboe
13.   Peter Canavan - Errigal Ciaran
14.   Eoin Mulligan - Cookstown
15.   Stephen O'Neill - Clann Na Gael

Frank Burns and Cathal McShane possibly could be in there somewhere, it's tough. Torn leaving Philly Jordan out although Cav has to be in there!

No way would you consider McShane - at this stage he's really just Leicester

RedHand88

Philip Jordan losing out on alot of people's lists because of his clubmate.