Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenMan

Quote from: toby47 on March 04, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: GlenMan on March 04, 2020, 10:13:50 AM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on March 04, 2020, 10:00:18 AM
Quote from: Angelo on March 04, 2020, 09:01:42 AM
Quote from: square_ball on March 04, 2020, 08:57:23 AM
McGleenon was playing for St Pats Armagh who were only beat in the semi final last week and Mark Devlin was playing for Holy Trinity who were beat in the quarters 2 weeks ago. Isn't there a rule where they can't be involved in the U20s?

Not that I'm aware as I think both are overage for minor (u17) now but I'm open to correction? Is it just an internal policy whereby players who are just out of minor aren't picked until the following year?

The u17 and u20 grades are a joke in fairness. That extra year at u21 level would be so much more beneficial for a player trying to establish himself at senior level and it does far more to retain lads playing the game.
Think there was an issue with the CBS players, Oran Grimes (on the panel last year) and Daniel Fullerton were let go off the panel to play with their school. That could also be the case with some Holy Trinity and Academy players.

The Schools/U20 clash seems to have been a complete balls up. Players being forced to drop off to play for their Schools. Although Tarlach Quinn remained on the panel (came on against Antrim) even though he played for Holy Trinity in the MacRory.

Can't play for your county u20's until your school football is over. So basically if a MacRory team was beat & knocked out of the competition, the players are available to play for their county u20's the next day.

Complete balls of a rule

No I know that. Just wondering why, for example, Oran Grimes had to drop off the panel while Tarlach Quinn didn't. Both Schools exited the MacRory at the Quarter Final stage.

The_Slug

Player burnout has been put forward as a massive issue in the GAA but being honest, when you're that age you're able to play for a number of teams at once, the body can handle it and you just want to play as much football as possible.. but I could be very wrong here because the games has changed quite a lot since my younger days

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The_Slug on March 04, 2020, 02:38:02 PM
Player burnout has been put forward as a massive issue in the GAA but being honest, when you're that age you're able to play for a number of teams at once, the body can handle it and you just want to play as much football as possible.. but I could be very wrong here because the games has changed quite a lot since my younger days

There is a misconception regarding burn out. It's not so much the games from a young age. Youth football is less stressful on the body by its very nature, now that's not to say it doesn't contribute - it's not ideal, but they are well capable of handling it - the body at that age is a remarkable regenerative machine.

The real problem comes with every manger on every team making these players train the same night after playing a school game that day or vice versa. Now if it's just shooting or basics, fine - it's still not ideal nor near it, but it's not overly stressful. The problem is they usually make them do the long, outdated running so they do what the rest of the team does, that is the road to ruin and I'm sure something that will resonate with fellas in and around my own age.....old enough to remember when it wasn't a big deal.....young enough to still be playing taking longer to loosen up.

We need to educate our youth managers better - sometimes at clubs it's just whoever will take the job, which of course is a nonsense but I know in my own club there isn't exactly a queue to do it either so what do we do? They don't really buy into new training techniques so fill up the training by mindless running, running breaks the body down.

Mikhailov

Good weekend for a Tyrone football. Great win for 20's against Donegal - well done to all the players and management, of which there were quite a few.

Seen a group photo of the full backroom team and was shocked to be honest. A big number of people involved. Does anyone know their roles or even who they are - didn't recognise some of them to be honest.

Good luck to them all in the All Ireland series

skeog

That backroom team is a lot of volunteers who love being out all weathers when we are at home at a big fire.They are what the gaa is about.

square_ball

Interview with PJ Quinn on the42.ie worth 10 minutes of your time to read.

Good but tough read.

The_Slug

Quote from: skeog on March 07, 2020, 10:29:36 PM
That backroom team is a lot of volunteers who love being out all weathers when we are at home at a big fire.They are what the gaa is about.

Yes, various volunteers involved with match statistics/analysis, sports massage/physio/doctor, equipment management etc. good to see so many willing to give up their free time to help with the success and development of the young red hands

The_Slug

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 10:14:31 AM

There is a misconception regarding burn out. It's not so much the games from a young age. Youth football is less stressful on the body by its very nature, now that's not to say it doesn't contribute - it's not ideal, but they are well capable of handling it - the body at that age is a remarkable regenerative machine.

The real problem comes with every manger on every team making these players train the same night after playing a school game that day or vice versa. Now if it's just shooting or basics, fine - it's still not ideal nor near it, but it's not overly stressful. The problem is they usually make them do the long, outdated running so they do what the rest of the team does, that is the road to ruin and I'm sure something that will resonate with fellas in and around my own age.....old enough to remember when it wasn't a big deal.....young enough to still be playing taking longer to loosen up.

We need to educate our youth managers better - sometimes at clubs it's just whoever will take the job, which of course is a nonsense but I know in my own club there isn't exactly a queue to do it either so what do we do? They don't really buy into new training techniques so fill up the training by mindless running, running breaks the body down.

good post, didn't realise some managers would expect a lad to play/train twice in one day. That would definitely take a toll on the body

Art Mc Crory’s Sofa

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 07, 2020, 10:25:06 PM
Good weekend for a Tyrone football. Great win for 20's against Donegal - well done to all the players and management, of which there were quite a few.

Seen a group photo of the full backroom team and was shocked to be honest. A big number of people involved. Does anyone know their roles or even who they are - didn't recognise some of them to be honest.

Good luck to them all in the All Ireland series

That "back room team" photo contains st least one county board official. Throw in a kit man, doctor, 1 or 2 physios, coach and manager and it's not hard to make it look like a big back room team. In reality I'd say less than half of those are at your average training session.

GaaFanatic123

Ant big performances from the U20's at the wkend?
How'd baby Jesus play??
Will Jordan be fit to make a mark at club level and maybe even be a future County player?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The_Slug on March 09, 2020, 09:59:15 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 10:14:31 AM

good post, didn't realise some managers would expect a lad to play/train twice in one day. That would definitely take a toll on the body

And that's just football I'm talking about. I know a few young lads into the Hurling too.....basically on the go every single night and whatever the day may bring on the school front.

omagh_gael

I'm sure most have seen this on social media but the 2005 AI final is now up in full on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/i8PiBNuOR1Y

square_ball

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 21, 2020, 12:04:00 PM
I'm sure most have seen this on social media but the 2005 AI final is now up in full on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/i8PiBNuOR1Y

The GAA hour podcast analysed it last Monday. It was very good. Brings back memories.

BennyHarp

Just saw on Facebook a post asking people to pick their best county team, that they have seen play, made up of only one player from each club. To pass a bit of time I did my own for Tyrone and it's harder than you might think to decide between players. For what it's worth....
Niall Morgan - Edendork
Jon Lynch - Castlederg
Ciaran McGarvey - Aghyaran
Ryan McMenamin - Dromore
Kevin McCabe - Clonoe
Conor Gormley - Carrickmore
Phillip Jordan - Moy
Eugene McKenna - Augher
Kevin Hughes - Killeeshil
Gerard Cavlan - Dungannon
Eoin Mulligan - Cookstown
Joe McMahon - Omagh
Steven O'Neill - Clan na Gael
Frank McGuigan - Ardboe
Peter Canavan - Errigal

That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: hardstation on March 22, 2020, 08:44:41 PM
You're putting Hub ahead of Cavanagh at midfield. Right.

No Jordan ahead of Cavanagh
That was never a square ball!!