China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2020, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 01:37:13 PM
Someone was on earlier posting about political bashing

In the North for years we had to contend with themus and us'ss! The amount of southern posters bashing on about the brits on here since Brexit and now the virus would sicken your hole!

If they'd put that amount of effort into this place during the troubles we'd be united years ago :D

Because the brits response to this was pathetic, herd immunity - remember that. Our experts better than yours etc. If you dont accept that then you really must have your head up your arse. People will die that should not have died due to the Brits response.

Again, I have to agree with Itchy 100%. I'm from the north, but living in the south, so I'm aware of the different approaches to date.

I really am concerned about the north, both my parents are in their early 70s and the approach by Boris has been beyond negligent. It isn't just people from the 26 counties that have being questioning the Tory party approach,  Joe Brolly, numerous health officials, RC church, teaching unions and many many more have being pushing for earlier school closures, pubs closing etc, and other procedures recommended by the w.h.o.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 05:49:10 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2020, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 19, 2020, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on March 19, 2020, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2020, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 18, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
The UK have 104 deaths as of today.  If we / they are tracking at the same rate as Italy the number tomorrow should be approx 145.
Will be interesting to see.
144!

That was very accurate. What's your thoughts on the upcoming days

It'll be approx 190 - 195
184 at the minute. Likely to be close to 195 by end of day.
That UK figure doesn't seem to stacking up with just 3 deaths today. Any reason for that, as it's gone against the trend of every other country at the same point.

223 people have passed away in England now. Britain reached the 100 death mark sooner than Italy according to the Economist, not sure if they're still experiencing that.

Angelo

I still don't think the gravity of this has struck with some people, this will escalate for another two months or so, it will lead to huge numbers in terms of loss of life. I don't think Italy are an outlier in terms of severity, I think they were the least well prepared for it but I expect similar relative numbers across most of Europe.

The UK is fucked.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

HiMucker

Quote from: hardstation on March 21, 2020, 06:00:49 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2020, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 19, 2020, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on March 19, 2020, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2020, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 18, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
The UK have 104 deaths as of today.  If we / they are tracking at the same rate as Italy the number tomorrow should be approx 145.
Will be interesting to see.
144!

That was very accurate. What's your thoughts on the upcoming days

It'll be approx 190 - 195
184 at the minute. Likely to be close to 195 by end of day.
That UK figure doesn't seem to stacking up with just 3 deaths today. Any reason for that, as it's gone against the trend of every other country at the same point.
53 today?
Apologies, I was going on the figures of worldometer. They had it logged at 187 yesterday, and then just 3 more today, but they have now changed it. I actually think they maybe be updating it as it goes. I thought once it showed red that was their count for the day?

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on March 21, 2020, 06:06:59 PM
I still don't think the gravity of this has struck with some people, this will escalate for another two months or so, it will lead to huge numbers in terms of loss of life. I don't think Italy are an outlier in terms of severity, I think they were the least well prepared for it but I expect similar relative numbers across most of Europe.

The UK is fucked.

I think you are wrong about Italy being least well prepared. Italy has twice the amount of critical care beds per 100,000 citizens than the UK or Ireland has. They were overwhelmed. Perhaps their initial response was poor, I didn't know. What is certain is that if we get proportionately the amount of cases that Italy got then we are totally fucked

Smokin Joe

The UK is at 233.  Which, as if by magic, is exactly the number of deaths Italy were at 14 days ago.
Today, Italy recorded almost 800 deaths.  The UK is headed for worse than this unless they really step things up, and it may already be too late!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on March 21, 2020, 05:53:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2020, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 01:37:13 PM
Someone was on earlier posting about political bashing

In the North for years we had to contend with themus and us'ss! The amount of southern posters bashing on about the brits on here since Brexit and now the virus would sicken your hole!

If they'd put that amount of effort into this place during the troubles we'd be united years ago :D

Because the brits response to this was pathetic, herd immunity - remember that. Our experts better than yours etc. If you dont accept that then you really must have your head up your arse. People will die that should not have died due to the Brits response.

Again, I have to agree with Itchy 100%. I'm from the north, but living in the south, so I'm aware of the different approaches to date.

I really am concerned about the north, both my parents are in their early 70s and the approach by Boris has been beyond negligent. It isn't just people from the 26 counties that have being questioning the Tory party approach,  Joe Brolly, numerous health officials, RC church, teaching unions and many many more have being pushing for earlier school closures, pubs closing etc, and other procedures recommended by the w.h.o.

Im not getting at how poor Britain has reacted to it, I'm getting at the completely senseless point scoring on, we are better they are not! Stupid stuff really but whatever makes you feel happy about yourself.

On a serious note, if the whole island doesn't go into full lockdown properly then this will wipe out most people over 65 with underlying conditions! was chatting with a health care boss recently and the measures and plans in places to try and facilitate this will never be enough.

Get used to the social distancing as this will run through possibly till we get a vaccine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2020, 06:15:37 PM
The UK is at 233.  Which, as if by magic, is exactly the number of deaths Italy were at 14 days ago.
Today, Italy recorded almost 800 deaths.  The UK is headed for worse than this unless they really step things up, and it may already be too late!

Italy launched national measures 17 days ago, having already had measures in some districts. The latter worked to a large extent as the deaths are not greatest in the district where the outbreak started. However, deaths in particular lag a long time behind.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:19:38 PM
On a serious note, if the whole island doesn't go into full lockdown properly then this will wipe out most people over 65 with underlying conditions! was chatting with a health care boss recently and the measures and plans in places to try and facilitate this will never be enough.

Singapore and Taiwan have not locked down. The measures will work, it is irresponsible people that we have a problem with.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

No harm MR2 but I haven't seen anything like that on this thread. People are genuinely worried at their poor response, including many many of their own citizens.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2020, 06:23:44 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2020, 06:15:37 PM

Italy launched national measures 17 days ago, having already had measures in some districts. The latter worked to a large extent as the deaths are not greatest in the district where the outbreak started. However, deaths in particular lag a long time behind.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:19:38 PM

Singapore and Taiwan have not locked down. The measures will work, it is irresponsible people that we have a problem with.

So lockdown then, as those irresponsible people are out there and need to be forced. There are more cases in the south of people giving it to others through social engagement rather than those that brought it in

Russia one death recorded and 600 odd cases recorded. Seems strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

[/quote]

One day is not a long enough period to tell, looking at the 3 day moving average or similar measure would be more helpful. But there may be differences, the virus spread in Italy before people gave it any thought whatsoever. In Britain, the government may have been delinquent, but many people may have done a bit more all the same, not enough to prevent it but enough to reduce numbers.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:29:27 PM
So lockdown then, as those irresponsible people are out there and need to be forced. There are more cases in the south of people giving it to others through social engagement rather than those that brought it in

Ireland lacks the enforcement resources to force people, you are still relying on most people being responsible.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 06:25:28 PM
No harm MR2 but I haven't seen anything like that on this thread. People are genuinely worried at their poor response, including many many of their own citizens.

No harm to you but what does that actually achieve? Everyone knows the shit storm that Boris's government has went with but repeatedly stating it on here won't change that, but if it makes you feel good to bring it up, then charge on!

Can we not deal with how things are now without the bashing? I've tried to educate family friends work colleagues, it doesn't matter as people will continue to carry on regardless until it's forced.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2020, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 21, 2020, 06:06:59 PM

The UK is fucked.

I think you are wrong about Italy being least well prepared. Italy has twice the amount of critical care beds per 100,000 citizens than the UK or Ireland has. They were overwhelmed. Perhaps their initial response was poor, I didn't know. What is certain is that if we get proportionately the amount of cases that Italy got then we are totally fucked

Least well prepared in that Italy was where the outbreak started in Europe, most countries had a two week head start to take proactive measures that Italy did not.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

ardtole

I certainly wasn't point scoring, I'm just very concerned about the political reaction to the coronavirus in the uk and particularly the north.

It was in everyones interest to treat this as a 32 county problem. But because Leo closed the schools and gave Stormont little or no heads up, the dup dug their heels in and refused to follow the lead of Dublin.

It's so bloody childish, infuriating and just when your hoping the north is turning a corner and possibly making some progress the dup cant even stomach taking advice from the w.h.o because their British scientists know better than the scientists in the rest of the world.

The arrogance sickens me, there will be a heavy price to pay for these acts of petulance and it is our families, friends and neighbours who pay it.

In fairness to Fine Gael ( and I certainly couldn't be accused of supporting them), they have handled this a lot more decisively than their counterparts in Stormont and the UK.

They closed down the St Patrick's festivities which caused Dublin traders many millions, whilst Cheltenham and other events went ahead in the uk.

There are other examples too, but I'm angry the way the tories tried initially to treat the coronavirus case as an economic problem rather than a humanitarian problem.

I really hope I'm wrong, I'd be delighted to be wrong, but listening to front line Doctors, Consultants etc it is frightening the picture they are painting and a lot of it could have been prevented.

HiMucker

Taiwan and Singapore are slightly different as they are extremely densely populated places, and they have a long established practice surrounding contact tracing. I think someone actualy posted a great article on this thread. Ireland are trying to pile a lot resources in to this now and it is helping, but eventually it will become of no use once the numbers pile up.