China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: WT4E on March 20, 2020, 11:13:49 AM
Small businesses can avail of a £10k Grant however it appears you need to pay business rates which doesn't help the man with a van who is conducting his business from a room in his house. I know of a man who has lost £40k of work and we're only at the beginning of the whole thing

There is also a £25k grant?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

WT4E

I think the £25k relates to tourism and hospitality

Maroon Manc

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 20, 2020, 11:06:55 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 20, 2020, 10:53:32 AM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 20, 2020, 10:42:52 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 20, 2020, 10:12:16 AM
A good mate thought he would getting some time off work as he's a teacher but understood he'd have to chip in at School and they'd do a rota and was more than happy to help, unfortunately he's been stitched up by the head and the vast majority of people he works with and is now going to end up working through the Easter holidays. The head came round the other day and read out a list of over 50 health issues of which some were very minor, 75% of all staff said they one or more (head had clearly briefed her friends first) and were told to go home and not come back for 12 weeks. Only a couple of them have kids that need to be home schooled and many of them are taking advantage of a situation, he reckons 3 of them are all over facebook stating there here to help any parents that require advice.

I have full sympathy for teachers in this as I have several teachers in immediate family but that is taking the piss. Teachers need to step up and adopt new innovative ideas to remotely teach children. It doesn't mean children should be on a video call with them or in a virtual classroom 9-3 every day. But they should have some way to keep in regular touch with children. I understand that many children may not have access to tablets, computers, phone even the internet or a pencil and paper for that matter which adds further complexity. These are exceptional times and need exceptional measures. In my mind going home and doing absolutely nothing for 12 weeks is not an option.

Don't know were you're getting the 12 weeks at home doing nothing.
To the best of my knowledge with schools in Derry, from out own kids school and friends who are teaching at other schools. Kids have either been given school packs (new ones every 2 weeks) or their lessons are up on Google docs with teachers updating daily.
Some schools are being setup as hubs to facilitate kids who's parents are working on the front line.
Are other areas approaching this differently?

That's not the experience our kids have so far. We are lifting packs from the school later today so that may change but I don't know what will be in these. I don't think sending home a pack is enough on its own it needs some form or regular communication with the teacher be that a quick 10/15 min Skype, Whatapp etc call to discuss things. I'm not a teacher. I work in technology and I'm just saying we need to think outside of the box in terms of this and come up with new innovative ideas to see us through this.

I think there's going to be some updating from teachers weekly on the schools buddy system my kids use, I'd imagine 50% of the teachers were my kids go to school have kids that need to be looked after. The curriculum has been suspended for those who are going to be brought to school every day so the teachers aren't going to be teaching their going to be acting as a child minder, well thats we've been told this morning.

naka

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 20, 2020, 09:12:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 12:07:42 AM
Once the job crisis hits in the next few days it will cause a huge ripple effect across families, once the pressures start hitting everyone  then the cracks will appear.

The panic will be crazy. The GB government all talk about timing and ensuring that they have a handle on it. No country will or has in Europe until they lock down properly, when will the south do that? If they do the North needs to follow.

The vast majority of people are now aware of what we need to do. Should we not as a collective be a bit more sensible with the rhetoric we use though.
milltown
tbf i normally take 70 minutes to get to work in the city
today it took me 44
m1 from sprucefield was 8 minutes to grosvenor so the place is quiet
in my own offices we have 15 in
reality we need cash collection to pay the wages next week.
tonights statement by the chancellor will explain if the collective is ever going to happen

I'm in my place of work in Belfast watching people go about their day, things not overly busy for a Friday but no fear or worried conversations, I'm in a very controlled environment using best  practices based on information from our head office in Dublin, no one is really going to change unless the government steps in and forcefully orders it! People are still passing it on. I haven't asked anyone to be  shot, yet

Naka,
   As a business owner what's the feeling in relation to the loans on offer from the UK Government?

I thought it was a bit of a cop out TBH as it's not their money and will need paid back with interest no matter how low that is.
johnny
reality is a loan is no good
as it has an interest rate and all i would be doing is kicking the can down the road so effectively working to pay bills for the next couple of years
our work has dropped off a cliff
i like the idea of say 50% contribution through paye which will actually help the guys who do things right and pay their taxes properly .
it costs £250k a month to run my business with wages at circa 160k inclusive of paye/nic
so in lockdown there is no money to pay.
i can cover april but after that  well  its lay offs etc

teh small business relief only covers small firms. most sme don`t qualify

imtommygunn

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 20, 2020, 10:35:51 AM
Once the job crisis hits in the next few days it will cause a huge ripple effect across families, once the pressures start hitting everyone  then the cracks will appear.

The panic will be crazy. The GB government all talk about timing and ensuring that they have a handle on it. No country will or has in Europe until they lock down properly, when will the south do that? If they do the North needs to follow.

The vast majority of people are now aware of what we need to do. Should we not as a collective be a bit more sensible with the rhetoric we use though.

I'm in my place of work in Belfast watching people go about their day, things not overly busy for a Friday but no fear or worried conversations, I'm in a very controlled environment using best  practices based on information from our head office in Dublin, no one is really going to change unless the government steps in and forcefully orders it! People are still passing it on. I haven't asked anyone to be  shot, yet

People need to wise the f**k up and keep apart. Why is there not ads on the TV, these should be all over BBC, UTV, Sky etc like there is on RTE. The message is not getting through and all the time this ticking time bomb is running rampant. This needs a nanny state solution as much as that might not be palatable to a lot of people but until the UK government starts locking the place down and restricting movement this is only going one way. Unfortunately it'll take the first wave of deaths for people to cope on. At that stage a lot of the damage has been done.

Just on another note, other countries are deploying the army into areas to keep order and control. What the hell is going to happen here at that stage? That on it's own is a scary thought.

The handling of the whole thing by the UK has been absolutely and totally pathetic. If anything good can come of this maybe it can be that the world finally see the self serving greedy Etonian pricks have no concept of what it's like to live and the real world and under no circumstances should be in any kind of position of power.

johnnycool

Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 11:39:47 AM

milltown
today it took me 44
tonights statement by the chancellor will explain if the collective is ever going to happen

Naka,
   As a business owner what's the feeling in relation to the loans on offer from the UK Government?

I thought it was a bit of a cop out TBH as it's not their money and will need paid back with interest no matter how low that is.
johnny
as it has an interest rate and all i would be doing is kicking the can down the road so effectively working to pay bills for the next couple of years
i like the idea of say 50% contribution through paye which will actually help the guys who do things right and pay their taxes properly .
it costs £250k a month to run my business with wages at circa 160k inclusive of paye/nic

That's the other side of it as an employer that an employee like me probably doesn't see.

The haste of the decision by O'Neills whilst understandable to an extent is poor short termism IMO. Yes there's a good chance some clubs have pushed orders out but they'll still need the stuff come July/August hopefully.

They'll lose out in the cancellations of Feile ok, but will need to ramp up for the Christmas market.

That's different than losing business that you'll never get back like hotels, pubs, airlines and the supply chain in such industries.

Could O'Neiils not have offered to make hazmat suits?

RedHand88

Hazmat suits in your county colours. Would be great for the championship if it ever gets the go ahead.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 11:56:13 AM

milltown
today it took me 44

Naka,

johnny

That's the other side of it as an employer that an employee like me probably doesn't see.

The haste of the decision by O'Neills whilst understandable to an extent is poor short termism IMO. Yes there's a good chance some clubs have pushed orders out but they'll still need the stuff come July/August hopefully.

They'll lose out in the cancellations of Feile ok, but will need to ramp up for the Christmas market.

That's different than losing business that you'll never get back like hotels, pubs, airlines and the supply chain in such industries.

Could O'Neiils not have offered to make hazmat suits?

The O'Neills decision is awful. I thought that company had a community feel. They just fucked them poor people out and said to hell with them.

rodney trotter

What were they suppose to do? They temporarily let off people until May, same way hotels etc are doing
O Neill had thousands of orders cancelled. They can't keep making product with no Gaa

seafoid

milltown
today it took me 44

Naka,

johnny

governments can't tell people to stay at home and leave businesses hanging.
Sunak is due to reveal support measures today

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/19/chancellor-unveil-wage-bailout-help-millions-coronavirus-cris/
"The government will offer unprecedented support for millions of workers to help Britons hit by the coronavirus crisis under radical plans to be unveiled by the Chancellor on Friday.

Two measures under discussion include subsidising wages by freezing income tax payments during the crisis and giving National Insurance tax breaks.

Rishi Sunak, putting the finishing touches to the package, has also been in discussions about paying workers a weekly subsidy in what would be the biggest intervention by the British state in the economy since the Second World War. "

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 20, 2020, 12:22:13 PM
What were they suppose to do? They temporarily let off people until May, same way hotels etc are doing
O Neill had 1000s of orders cancelled. They can't keep making product with no Gaa

We've an order in with them for three sets of adult jerseys. That's still going ahead as we hope to need them in July August.

I'd suggest a lot of clubs would be the same.

They'll lose out a bit on the replica county gear alright but they'll get those back later in the year.

Don't understand who'd be cancelling 1000's of orders for teamwear.

trailer

A good mate thought he would getting some time off work as he's a teacher but understood he'd have to chip in at School and they'd do a rota and was more than happy to help, unfortunately he's been stitched up by the head and the vast majority of people he works with and is now going to end up working through the Easter holidays. The head came round the other day and read out a list of over 50 health issues of which some were very minor, 75% of all staff said they one or more (head had clearly briefed her friends first) and were told to go home and not come back for 12 weeks. Only a couple of them have kids that need to be home schooled and many of them are taking advantage of a situation, he reckons 3 of them are all over facebook stating there here to help any parents that require advice.

Have heard of a few stories of people swinging the lead. And no surprise that some Teachers are at this.  Very, very disappointing in a national emergency.

quit yo jibbajabba

Know of a teacher had been off for good while had just started chatting about phased return, this news breaks and she says scratch that im back full time. Didnt even try hide it.

Some folk are shameless. Get to see true character of some in times of hardship

HiMucker

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 20, 2020, 12:22:13 PM
O Neill had 1000s of orders cancelled. They can't keep making product with no Gaa

We've an order in with them for three sets of adult jerseys. That's still going ahead as we hope to need them in July August.

I'd suggest a lot of clubs would be the same.

They'll lose out a bit on the replica county gear alright but they'll get those back later in the year.

Don't understand who'd be cancelling 1000's of orders for teamwear.
Jonny I'd be amazed if there is any club or county football/hurling this summer.

Angelo

End up having to work through Easter?

My heart really goes out to those poor teachers.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL