Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 29, 2010, 09:53:38 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 29, 2010, 02:11:00 AM
Leslie Nielsen (Police Squad, Airplane, Naked Gun)
Surely not?  RIP.

Don't call me Shirley!

RIP, a class act
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Archie Mitchell

RIP Barry Elliot aka Barry Chuckle

Great entertainer

ziggysego

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 02, 2010, 10:18:48 PM
RIP Barry Elliot aka Barry Chuckle

Great entertainer

What? Ah shit.
Testing Accessibility

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Archie Mitchell

Not from what im hearing folks! Sad sad day!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

He doesn't look great, though.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Hardy on December 03, 2010, 10:12:22 AM
He doesn't look great, though.

That's Paul not Barry. I'm sure he's hurting today though!

theskull1

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 03, 2010, 12:09:52 PM
That's Paul not Barry. I'm sure he's hurting today though!

I know...imagine not knowing that was Paul  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-12-05-italy-cyclists-killed_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Car plows into group of cyclists in Italy, 8 dead

ROME (AP) — A speeding car plowed head-on into a group of cyclists in southern Italy on Sunday morning, killing eight of them, officials said. The driver had been smoking marijuana, police said.
Bent, mangled bikes were strewn about the scene, and the sheet-draped corpses dotted the two-lane road near Lamezia Terme, in the Calabrian "toe" of boot-shaped Italy where the accident occurred.

In addition to the eight cyclists killed, four people were injured, said Gianluca Gioia, a spokesman for ANAS, the agency that runs Italy's state roads and highways. Police confirmed the toll.

The ANSA news agency said the driver, who was slightly injured, was placed under arrest. A police spokesman who declined to give his name said the man, a Moroccan national, had tested positive for marijuana.

A preliminary investigation showed the speeding car ran headfirst into the group of cyclists who were riding in the opposite direction on state road 18, according to the highway authority.

ANSA said the driver was trying to pass another car when he hit the group. Visibility and driving conditions were good at the time, reports said.

The road was closed by authorities.

It is common in Italy to see groups of amateur cyclists taking to small state roads on weekends. ANSA said the group hit Sunday was affiliated with a local Lamezia Terme gym.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on December 05, 2010, 03:28:07 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-12-05-italy-cyclists-killed_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Car plows into group of cyclists in Italy, 8 dead

ROME (AP) — A speeding car plowed head-on into a group of cyclists in southern Italy on Sunday morning, killing eight of them, officials said. The driver had been smoking marijuana, police said.
Bent, mangled bikes were strewn about the scene, and the sheet-draped corpses dotted the two-lane road near Lamezia Terme, in the Calabrian "toe" of boot-shaped Italy where the accident occurred.

In addition to the eight cyclists killed, four people were injured, said Gianluca Gioia, a spokesman for ANAS, the agency that runs Italy's state roads and highways. Police confirmed the toll.

The ANSA news agency said the driver, who was slightly injured, was placed under arrest. A police spokesman who declined to give his name said the man, a Moroccan national, had tested positive for marijuana.

A preliminary investigation showed the speeding car ran headfirst into the group of cyclists who were riding in the opposite direction on state road 18, according to the highway authority.

ANSA said the driver was trying to pass another car when he hit the group. Visibility and driving conditions were good at the time, reports said.

The road was closed by authorities.

It is common in Italy to see groups of amateur cyclists taking to small state roads on weekends. ANSA said the group hit Sunday was affiliated with a local Lamezia Terme gym.

That Cnut should be shot on sight...the law couldn't be stiff enough for this type of thing, that could be anyone of us anytime we get on the bike  >:(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Was reading the obits in the Sunday Times today about this chap, Jure Robic. The word "obsessed" doesn't really do him justice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/8166222/Jure-Robic.html

Jure Robic, who has died aged 45, was a Slovenian soldier turned extreme cyclist whose extraordinary feats of endurance earned him a place in The Guinness Book of Records.

Robic won the Race Across America, a gruelling 3,000-mile coast-to-coast sprint, a record five times. The race is unusual in that there are no stages. Once the riders begin, there are no scheduled breaks until they reach the finishing line – so an ability to go without sleep is the main determinant of who wins. During the 2004 race Robic cycled an average of 350 miles a day to complete the race in just eight days, claiming only eight hours sleep, and pedalled into the record books by covering 518 miles in 24 hours.

Despite this achievement, Robic said later that he had not been in top form and that under ideal conditions he could have improved the world record by an additional 20 miles.

In 2005, six weeks after scoring his second victory in the Race Across America, Robic won Le Tour Direct, a 2,500-mile race on a course contrived from the most testing Tour de France routes. Robic finished in seven days and 19 hours, climbing about 26 miles in all – the equivalent of nearly five trips up Everest.

Known to his friends as "Animal", Robic trained 335 days a year, covering more than enough miles annually to circumnavigate the globe. He trained himself to go without sleep by including in his programme 48-hour stints in which he would undertake a 24-hour ride followed by a 12-hour break followed by a 12-hour workout.

Robic pushed himself beyond any natural physical and mental limits. He confessed that for weeks after the Race Across America his hands were so swollen that he could not hold a key, and as a result of lack of sleep he was prone to violent outbursts of paranoia and terrifying hallucinations.

Towards the end of the Race Across America, he was known to weep uncontrollably and was sometimes to be seen hopping off his bike to fight imaginary assailants – bears, wolves or aliens – which turned out to be mailboxes. He imagined that cracks in the road were coded messages, and on one occasion became convinced he was being pursued by the Mujahedeen on horseback; his support team encouraged him to ride faster, pretending that they could see them too. "Sometimes during races he gets off his bike and walks towards us in the follow car, very angry," recalled a team member in 2006. "We lock the doors."

"In race, everything inside me comes out,'' Robic explained. "Good, bad, everything. My mind, it begins to do things on its own. I do not like it, but this is the way I must go to win the race."

Jure Robic was born at Jesenice, Slovenia, on April 10 1965. He attributed his determination to succeed to his father's neglect of his family and to the poverty in which he grew up: "All my life I was pushed away. I get the feeling that I'm not good enough to be the good one. And so now I am good at something, and I want revenge, to prove it to all the people who thought I was some kind of loser."

He began cycling as a child and, during his early twenties, rode with small Slovenian teams, supporting himself by working for a dealer in bike parts. He became a soldier in the Slovene army and a member of its athletic corps, which meant that he could train full time. From 1988 to 1994 he was a member of the Slovene national cycling team.

The death of his mother in 1997 marked a turning point in Robic's life. After a friend suggested that it might help him to get over his grief if he took up long-distance cycling, he entered the 1999 Crocodile Trophy, a notorious 10-day race across Australia. He came third.

In October 2001 he set out to see how far he could cycle in 24 hours, and almost beat the world record: "That was the day I knew I could do this," he recalled. "I know that the thing that does not kill me makes me stronger."

Robic won the Race Across America in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010. He was in second place at the final time station in 2009 when he dropped out to protest about time penalties he had incurred. Among a total of around 100 victories, he also won the DOS-Ras Race Across Slovenia four times; the Tour Direct twice; and the Tortour (a non-stop cycle race around Switzerland) earlier this year.

Robic placed heavy reliance on his support team of six Slovene soldiers to act as his brain when his mental faculties deteriorated. Among other methods to motivate him, the team would sometimes blare Slovenian marches through a loudspeaker or tell him that his home town was only a few kilometres ahead. "He was very polite and nice when he was not on the bike," one member recalled. "During races, he was absolutely the most unpleasant person you could imagine."

Jure Robic died on September 24 when he collided with a car on a mountain road near his home in Jesenice.

His marriage was dissolved, and he is survived by a son. His brother, Saso Robic, a former professional skier, committed suicide in August.

ludermor

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

Another article here i read a few years ago, the man was a raving lunatic! But unreal competitor

Puckoon

''Three years ago, I got angry at the mountain. I climbed it 38 times in two months.''

Maybe its a good job that car killed him - if it had only hit him and served to make him angry who knows what he would have done?

Puckoon

Elizabeth Edwards just passed at 61 from Cancer.