The list of teams Cork have beaten in the championship in the last few years

2018 Tipperary
2017 Tipperary
2017 Waterford
2016 Limerick
2015 Clare
2014 Sligo
2014 Tipperary

You look at the absolute hammering by Kerry (who I think turned in more of a 7 out of 10 performance than an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance ), the Tipp win  and Cork's league results  - 3 wins against Down, Louth and Meath and 4 losses to Tipp, Clare, Cavan and Roscommon and you would have to say it would be a massive shock if Tyrone didn't get the win here.

I think the biggest danger to Tyrone is a lack of appetite amongst the Tyrone lads to be playing in the Super 8s. Watching the Cavan and Meath games, I didn't exactly see much evidence of hunger/desire from the Tyrone players for long periods.

and the win over Waterford was only by a point

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2018, 12:35:26 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 04, 2018, 12:24:57 AM

I find this talk of Cavanagh being a miss as kind of shite talk. He had more bad games after his 30th birthday than he had good ones. Bar those booming kicks against Donegal in the Ulster final two years ago he didn't cover himself in glory against the top sides in the '13, '15 or '16 defeats to Kerry and Mayo. His decline as a footballer post-2012 was clear enough at times. That's my opinion of it anyway.

That's the kind of narrative I can't abide. I think Sean scored 0-15 from midfield last summer. On a bad year apparently. People remember the booming kicks of 2016 but can't appreciate the dirty stuff.

How much of that was from play? Against Dublin and Donegal he got 0-1 each day both frees. Sean's latter years became much less about leading the team and more about speaking to the ref about not getting a free.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Blowitupref

The current Cork senior football team remain an enigma. Won 5 of the last 7 Munster U21 titles and they should be competitive challengers to Kerry in Munster but they aren't and instead they are around the same level as Clare.

Tyrone should win this game by about 6 points or maybe by more if they are in the mood.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

square_ball

Quote from: trileacman on July 04, 2018, 04:15:12 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2018, 12:35:26 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 04, 2018, 12:24:57 AM

I find this talk of Cavanagh being a miss as kind of shite talk. He had more bad games after his 30th birthday than he had good ones. Bar those booming kicks against Donegal in the Ulster final two years ago he didn't cover himself in glory against the top sides in the '13, '15 or '16 defeats to Kerry and Mayo. His decline as a footballer post-2012 was clear enough at times. That's my opinion of it anyway.

That's the kind of narrative I can't abide. I think Sean scored 0-15 from midfield last summer. On a bad year apparently. People remember the booming kicks of 2016 but can't appreciate the dirty stuff.

How much of that was from play? Against Dublin and Donegal he got 0-1 each day both frees. Sean's latter years became much less about leading the team and more about speaking to the ref about not getting a free.

2 points from play in 5 matches last year. He was generally very poor last season in my opinion which i guess is understandable after 15 years at the top level.

Trileacman is spot on with his post on the current state of affairs of the Tyrone county side.

square_ball

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2018, 10:18:41 PM
Ronan O'Neill to start this weekend? Surely we have to have more natural full forwards than McAliskey?

Bradley and Brennan were completing sprinting drills during Tyrone training last week and must be close to be named on the bench at least.

This kind of thinking annoys me. The lad has scored 1-20 in 4 games this summer, he has one poor game and you're looking him dropped? For me this sums up a lot of Tyrone fans nowadays - if a player isn't shooting the lights out every day he goes out he's no good and there has to be someone better out there.

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on July 04, 2018, 08:34:24 AM
Ronan O'Neill to start this weekend? Surely we have to have more natural full forwards than McAliskey?

Bradley and Brennan were completing sprinting drills during Tyrone training last week and must be close to be named on the bench at least.

This kind of thinking annoys me. The lad has scored 1-20 in 4 games this summer, he has one poor game and you're looking him dropped? For me this sums up a lot of Tyrone fans nowadays - if a player isn't shooting the lights out every day he goes out he's no good and there has to be someone better out there.

I agree, Skeet has been our best forward this summer by a country mile and I think we would have been long gone from this championship but for him providing purple patches of sublime scoring throughout the season. As mentioned earlier, Cavannagh's loss is a factor too. His legs were going but he was still a major focal point for our attacks and generally the opposition put their best defenders on him. That focus is now on the likes of Skeet so there is likely to be games when he gets well marshalled. That's when we would like others to step up.
That was never a square ball!!

trileacman

Dead right, has proved this year that there's a definite step in class between himself and RON.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

outsideoftheboot

I think RON has proved what hes capable off enough over the last few games. Woudnt have beat meath or cavan without him probably.

Getting increasingly concerned about cork as the week goes on and closer to the match...

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteCORK FOOTBALL MANAGER Ronan McCarthy has named a starting team showing five changes from the Munster final to face Tyrone in their All-Ireland SFC qualifier on Saturday.

Last month, Kerry stormed to the provincial crown with a 3-18 to 2-4 win over the Rebels at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Tyrone meanwhile, secured their spot in the Round 4 clash — a repeat of the 2009 All-Ireland semi-final which saw Cork triumph — after beating Cavan at the weekend.

Mallow's James Loughrey and Ballincollig's Cian Kiely are the two new additions to the Cork defence, with Kiely making his senior championship debut.

Brian O'Driscoll comes into midfield alongside Ian Maguire, while Castlehaven duo Brian Hurley and Michael Hurley start in the full-forward line.

Sam Ryan, Tomas Clancy, Aidan Walsh, Kevin O'Driscoll and John O'Rourke all make way.

Throw-in at O'Moore Park is 5pm on Saturday evening.

Cork
1. Mark White (Clonakilty)

2. James Loughrey (Mallow)
3. Jamie O' Sullivan (Bishopstown)
4. Kevin Crowley (MillStreet)

5. Kevin Flahive (Douglas)
6. Stephen Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
7. Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)

8. Ian Maguire (St. Finbarrs) – Captain
9. Brian O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)

10. Sean White (Clonakilty)
11. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
12. Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)

13. Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers)
14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
15. Michael Hurley (Castlehaven)

Subs

16. Anthony Casey ( Kiskeam)
17. Sam Ryan (St. Finbarrs)
18. Mathew Taylor (Mallow)
19. Tomas Clancy (Fermoy)
20. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
21. Killian O'Hanlon (Kilshannig)
22. Ronan O'Toole (Eire Og)
23. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
24. John O Rourke ( Carbery Rangers)
25. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
26. Donnacha O' Connor (Ballydesmond)

omagh_gael

Lads, you've missed my point. I meant surely RoN has to start alongside McAliskey. How long can we go on with one natural FF on the pitch?

seafoid

The thing about Cork is they can turn on the style if they feel like it.
They wouldn't be afraid of Tyrone.

The worry is that Tyrone post Sean Cavanagh are like the Pussycat dolls without Nicole Scherzinger.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 04, 2018, 01:47:48 PM
Lads, you've missed my point. I meant surely RoN has to start alongside McAliskey. How long can we go on with one natural FF on the pitch?

Apologies omagh gael in that case. The sentence read as if you didn't rate McAliskey. Crossed wires!

WT4E

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2018, 02:34:29 PM
The thing about Cork is they can turn on the style if they feel like it.
They wouldn't be afraid of Tyrone.

The worry is that Tyrone post Sean Cavanagh are like the Pussycat dolls without Nicole Scherzinger.

LOL - you are a tube!  ;D

Probably more like Take That without Robbie Williams!

In hiding

Quote from: trileacman on July 04, 2018, 09:56:29 AM

This kind of thinking annoys me. The lad has scored 1-20 in 4 games this summer, he has one poor game and you’re looking him dropped? For me this sums up a lot of Tyrone fans nowadays - if a player isn’t shooting the lights out every day he goes out he’s no good and there has to be someone better out there.

Dead right, has proved this year that there's a definite step in class between himself and RON.

You are exactly right there is a difference in class between the two

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.