Tailteann Cup 2023

Started by Laoiseabu, May 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on June 22, 2023, 01:40:12 PM
Is success in the Tailteann cup greater than the league? Personally think Laois have had a better season than Wicklow who got promoted to division 3. If the league was starting this month I would expect us to get promoted, Billy playing lads in their natural positions and Murphy getting back fit another plus. As the season has gone on I believe the team and Billy are all learning.

I'd worry about our mobility in the middle on Sunday. We don't have the natural athletes playing half forward or in midfield and this can get exposed in the big field of Croker. Hopefully there's a plan for this as Limerick broke through the middle a good few times last week.
I would suggest the TC is greater success as it is still championship vs league.  In 5 years time for example, if you asked who won division 4 this year alot of people would probably struggle to answer but they would be able to tell you who won the TC.  If Laois won the TC the league would be forgotten I would imagine. 

georgedoylesrightleg

i feer a skutchin on sunday

Joeythelips

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 22, 2023, 01:51:29 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 22, 2023, 01:37:25 PM
Next time year. Would it be an idea to play this comp earlier and have both finalists renetry into Sam prelim quarter finals and the winner the team holidays etc

I agree, lets be honest if they did proper tier 2 structure they should scrap the provincial championships imo. So have League early season and then have TC run off, like the Joe McD in hurling the winner gets promoted to AI series for next year but also go in to provisional quarter final for current year. Thats a huge carrot. It would work even better in football as the gap between top and bottom tier is not as wide as hurling.

One other point on this is that this could go the way of the Tommy Murphy where the interest just is not there, for example Offaly lost panel members before their game with Wexford. If getting to the final got them back into AI series this would not happen.

Zooming around

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 22, 2023, 04:28:50 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on June 22, 2023, 01:51:29 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 22, 2023, 01:37:25 PM
Next time year. Would it be an idea to play this comp earlier and have both finalists renetry into Sam prelim quarter finals and the winner the team holidays etc

I agree, lets be honest if they did proper tier 2 structure they should scrap the provincial championships imo. So have League early season and then have TC run off, like the Joe McD in hurling the winner gets promoted to AI series for next year but also go in to provisional quarter final for current year. Thats a huge carrot. It would work even better in football as the gap between top and bottom tier is not as wide as hurling.

One other point on this is that this could go the way of the Tommy Murphy where the interest just is not there, for example Offaly lost panel members before their game with Wexford. If getting to the final got them back into AI series this would not happen.

I'd say the opposite is more likely. In hurling, going forward it now looks very likely that the McDonagh Cup finalists will not be in the Liam McCarthy any more. They can't be seen to do the opposite in football.

Joeythelips

The gap in hurling between tiers is far greater to be fair, Offaly had to face genuine AI contenders in Tipperary after Joe McD final after competing in Div 2 of the hurling league, a big mis match.
But lets say Down/Meath/Laois/Antrim lost the TC final this year and had to face a Kildare/Monaghan/Roscommon/Cork etc in a preliminary round of AI series would it be a whitewash? I don't think so.

In fact If the GAA put serious cash into coaching in hurling for the likes of Laois, Offaly, Carlow, Westmeath they could close the gap as its a great incentive.

Either way just having that carrot for the winners would really boost the Tailteann Cup imo.

SCFC

First 15/20 minutes on Sunday are vital. Don't concede early goals and don't get any red or black cards.
If we can get to half time ahead, level or narrowly behind, I think we have a decent bench and maybe should use some of them a bit earlier in the game.

Laois Rising

Very optimistic SCFC. If we are within 6 points of Down by the final whistle I would be very surprised. Down are really motoring at the minute. I cannot see our luck extending to a 4th game in a row. Hopefully they players can defy expectation and pull off a shock victory.

SHEEDY

As a Down man i wouldn't say we're 'really motoring', the performance against Cavan was the best of the year, a mix of really good defensive play with brilliant attacking play. It was massive for the players to get the win, breffini park is a tough place to go.

Before that though Longford could've had a couple of more goals in the first half against us and we were lucky to be only 3 behind at half time before Down blew them away in second half. The last group game against Meath was a really poor day were Down hit 17 wides.

Down i feel are a better team sitting back and hitting on the break, most Down support would feel the wide open spaces of croke park should suit our players and would be confident of a win but definitely i feel the match will be closer than bookies predict.
nil satis nisi optimum

SCFC

Quote from: Laois Rising on June 23, 2023, 02:43:31 PM
Very optimistic SCFC. If we are within 6 points of Down by the final whistle I would be very surprised. Down are really motoring at the minute. I cannot see our luck extending to a 4th game in a row. Hopefully they players can defy expectation and pull off a shock victory.
Ah look, you're right. I do expect us to lose. But hope springs eternal and all that.
You'd be just hoping Down have an off day and that we can be in the running going into the last quarter.

redsetanta

Handicap is 5 points.

We will see how much Billy and the team have learned over the past few weeks.

They know how Down are going to play.

Use of the mark similar to Kildare last weekend would be something they could try.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

County Man

Best of luck to all the team and management on Sunday. Hopefully a decent support will be present to cheer on the lads. No doubt, many will tune in on TV so hopefully we can put in a good solid performance. We are definitely in bonus territory so see what comes of it.

In these last 2 seasons under Billy Sheehan, we have been capable of pulling off really good results at times by turning over Louth last year, beating Sligo away this year in the league along with our recent wins against Fermanagh and Limerick. Last year, we were defeated by both Fermanagh and Limerick in division 3 so real progress has been made.

Down themselves are moving well and are deservingly favourites having seen off Donegal in the Ulster championship and of course the big win against Cavan last weekend and a good Cavan team at that. They are capable of putting up a big score so obviously we need to be so organised on Sunday in defense.

Against Meath in Parnell Park, Down had an off day shooting many wides so we will hope for similiar on Sunday. Both Sean Boylan and Pete McGrath were there that day and chances are that we will end up with a repeat of the 1991 All Ireland final with Down and Meath prevailing to go on and contest the Tailteann cup final. But maybe we can have a repeat of the Leinster final of '91 against Meath if we pull off another shock! That would be some story and some season.

Look at the progress Westmeath have had this year after winning the Tailteann cup and we ran them mighty close there last year. Pride has been restored in the jersey and all that can be asked is that the players leave it all on the pitch on Sunday.

Laois Abu!!

Countyminor

Head says Down. Heart says Laois. If we're still in it with 20 minutes to go, I'm backing our bench to come in and pull us over the line. Give em hell lads!

Laoiseabu

Quote from: County Man on June 23, 2023, 06:06:30 PM
Best of luck to all the team and management on Sunday. Hopefully a decent support will be present to cheer on the lads. No doubt, many will tune in on TV so hopefully we can put in a good solid performance. We are definitely in bonus territory so see what comes of it.

In these last 2 seasons under Billy Sheehan, we have been capable of pulling off really good results at times by turning over Louth last year, beating Sligo away this year in the league along with our recent wins against Fermanagh and Limerick. Last year, we were defeated by both Fermanagh and Limerick in division 3 so real progress has been made.

Down themselves are moving well and are deservingly favourites having seen off Donegal in the Ulster championship and of course the big win against Cavan last weekend and a good Cavan team at that. They are capable of putting up a big score so obviously we need to be so organised on Sunday in defense.

Against Meath in Parnell Park, Down had an off day shooting many wides so we will hope for similiar on Sunday. Both Sean Boylan and Pete McGrath were there that day and chances are that we will end up with a repeat of the 1991 All Ireland final with Down and Meath prevailing to go on and contest the Tailteann cup final. But maybe we can have a repeat of the Leinster final of '91 against Meath if we pull off another shock! That would be some story and some season.

Look at the progress Westmeath have had this year after winning the Tailteann cup and we ran them mighty close there last year. Pride has been restored in the jersey and all that can be asked is that the players leave it all on the pitch on Sunday.

Laois Abu!!

You said "Real progress has been made " from last year ? Surely your joking right ?

Spiritof86

I don't think 2 wins against Fermanagh and Limerick can mask the deficiencies of the past two years . Yes we have lost some key personnel but don't understand the above comment of where we have "made real progress " ?
Regardless of TC outcome I can't see Sheehan been involved next year .

Today could go either way . It could be over by half time or we could be knocking on the door with 10 minutes to go . We have added competition to the panel which obviously helps but just don't know if grit and determination will be enough today .
Best of luck to the lads . I hope they get the support they deserve and do themselves justice.

High Fielder

Today is an ideal test for us. We're not fancied to win, and in many ways it's a free hit. Down are an ok team getting better, but still a fair bit off in their own Province. I don't expect us to win, but I would like to see a bit of bite. Our work rate has improved, and we will need to put in an honest shift again. I'd be happy before I set off if we can keep it to under 4 or 5. Anything after that a bonus but that's just my opinion