The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Quote from: bluespower on August 03, 2023, 09:49:42 PM
Donald Trump is the man that would make Laois great again.  ;D

Judging by the standard of the senior championship matches last weekend not even God almighty can save us let alone Trump , Mary , Joseph , Jesus , Kinsella , Martin Murphy and whoever else's name gets linked to the managerial vacancy

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 04, 2023, 07:44:52 PM

Judging by the standard of the senior championship matches last weekend not even God almighty can save us let alone Trump , Mary , Joseph , Jesus , Kinsella , Martin Murphy and whoever else's name gets linked to the managerial vacancy

This kind of negative, hopeless commentary must stop. With a good set up and the best 30/40 players fully committed to Laois football then we could progress to div 3 or maybe 2. People making doomsday statements only serves to make our county football team less attractive to management and players.

We know where we are. It's not good but it's definitely salvageable.

Chrimtain

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on August 05, 2023, 03:36:34 PM

This kind of negative, hopeless commentary must stop. With a good set up and the best 30/40 players fully committed to Laois football then we could progress to div 3 or maybe 2. People making doomsday statements only serves to make our county football team less attractive to management and players.

I think you make a good point. I know I have contributed to it myself, but the constant, unrelenting negativity does no one any good.

High Fielder

This kind of head in the sand, hope over expectation and plain ignorance towards the reality is what really has to stop. If I sit here and say my prayers, wish really hard and buy the chocolate bar with the gold ticket, Laois just might get into Division 2 and lose to Dublin by 10 points. Monaghan can do it. Maybe we can too. The initial poster was right. Our local Championship is rubbish

Blow-in

Less than 3 current Laois senior panel members stood out in round 1 of the championship. It's easy see how the county team is at such a low level

The Boy Wonder

Good post SpeculativeEffort - I couldn't agree more.
I can't understand why posters would come on here to pile on the doom and gloom - it's helps nobody.
We all know Laois GAA is in a bad place at the moment.

The Boy Wonder

No Laois supporter should be termed delusional if he believes, as I do, that the following modest targets are achievable by our senior footballers :
- promotion to Division 3 in next 1-2 years
- promotion to Division 2 in following 2-3 years
- winning the Tailteann Cup within the next 5 years.

Obviously a huge effort would have to be made at underage to achieve some success at Minor and Under-20 level that might someday lead to Laois being competitive in the Sam Maguire championship.

High Fielder

What are you seeing that I'm not seeing? I just don't know where you're getting these players from. They don't exist at present

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on August 06, 2023, 09:49:09 AM

Good post SpeculativeEffort - I couldn't agree more.
I can't understand why posters would come on here to pile on the doom and gloom - it's helps nobody.
We all know Laois GAA is in a bad place at the moment.

sum lads luv misery

SpeculativeEffort

There was man on radio last week who was addicted to gambling. He said he got a bigger thrill out of the losses as they produced a greater emotional response than winning. He was addicted to misery.

It rings through on this forum. Its never as busy on here as when Laois are after having an embarrassing loss or a thumping.

We are in the cycle of being addicted to misery as a county.

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: High Fielder on August 06, 2023, 03:30:36 PM
What are you seeing that I'm not seeing? I just don't know where you're getting these players from. They don't exist at present

Laois will compete in NFL Division 4 and the Tailteann Cup next year (I don't believe that anyone is suggesting we pull out as Kilkenny have done).

It can be expected that two thirds of this year's panel will make themselves available with at least half of these having more than one year's intercounty experience. Every year there are new faces, most of them having played minor and under-20 for the county.

It is a huge commitment for young lads to devote a huge amount of their time to play for a county with no prospects of success in the immediate future. The least that we as supporters can do is to encourage them. If there is a mood of negativity in their communities, clubs and social media there will be more than the normal number unwilling to commit.

Our Division 4 status is not a false reflection of our current ranking although we should have gained promotion this year. All of us who have been following Laois for many years know how far back we have fallen. Offaly have been in the doldrums for 20+ years but are now getting their house in order.

High Fielder

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on August 07, 2023, 02:05:35 PM
There was man on radio last week who was addicted to gambling. He said he got a bigger thrill out of the losses as they produced a greater emotional response than winning. He was addicted to misery.

It rings through on this forum. Its never as busy on here as when Laois are after having an embarrassing loss or a thumping.

We are in the cycle of being addicted to misery as a county.

I would say most people want nothing to do with it. Perhaps you'd prefer apathy and reduced attendances. Have you seen how empty the stands are? People are actively walking away from the misery. Would you rather we all sat there and said nothing? Hope for better next time? Load of sh1t quite frankly

High Fielder

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on August 07, 2023, 02:34:49 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on August 06, 2023, 03:30:36 PM

Laois will compete in NFL Division 4 and the Tailteann Cup next year (I don't believe that anyone is suggesting we pull out as Kilkenny have done).

It can be expected that two thirds of this year's panel will make themselves available with at least half of these having more than one year's intercounty experience. Every year there are new faces, most of them having played minor and under-20 for the county.

It is a huge commitment for young lads to devote a huge amount of their time to play for a county with no prospects of success in the immediate future. The least that we as supporters can do is to encourage them. If there is a mood of negativity in their communities, clubs and social media there will be more than the normal number unwilling to commit.

Our Division 4 status is not a false reflection of our current ranking although we should have gained promotion this year. All of us who have been following Laois for many years know how far back we have fallen. Offaly have been in the doldrums for 20+ years but are now getting their house in order.

What is your net point here? It sounds like you know we're at an all time low but that we should encourage the players. Which is fair. In fairness, I don't see much criticism of the players on here, at least not individually. The standard is bad. There is no getting away from it

The Boy Wonder

My point is simply that, as the old Chinese proverb says, it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Just out of curiosity - are any posters on here members of Laois Gaels ? 
They have a website https://www.laoisgaels.com/ and fairly active Facebook page.

High Fielder

Good luck lighting the candles. In fairness, it's probably a better policy than most of what comes out from our CB