Longford pull off shock of the century
16 (28.1%)
Donegal will say No
6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: June 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

Shamrock Shore

Well. Welcome to the thread.

Not having beaten the Dubs in the Leinster since 1970 (a game former Dub Gay O'Driscoll described as his lowest point on a pitch) and shipped a few beatings since (although 2006 was a close game) is there any point in getting excited about this?

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

is there any point in getting excited about this?
No.
Except you are treasurer of the Leinster Council.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

Not having beaten the Dubs in the Leinster since 1970 (a game former Dub Gay O'Driscoll described as his lowest point on a pitch) and shipped a few beatings since (although 2006 was a close game) is there any point in getting excited about this?

No

Jinxy

Please injure as many Dubs as you can.
Do it for Leinster.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

QuotePlease injure as many Dubs as you can.

Not the Longford way - no hatchet men on the team.

Dubs were afraid of their shite of this man back when we met in Croker about 10 years ago.

Could we talk Niall Sheridan back onto the team for this one?

The Aristocrat

I'm leaving after the hurling.

This game should be played in Longford, good game and occasion the last time.

Shamrock Shore

It can't be played in Longford as the stands in Pearse Park are basically under investigation for subsidence so they are closed.

That said there is no reason the game couldn't be in Mullingar or Tullamore. The atmosphere would be electric in either ground.

But blame all the sheep on the Leinster Council (inc Longford) for not arranging the Dubs QF game away from Croke Park. All the Leinster Council want is Dubs paying into Croke Park. 0% blame should fall on the Dubs. I cannot see the Dublin County Board pulling strings behind the scene - not in their nature.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 18, 2015, 11:30:27 AM
It can't be played in Longford as the stands in Pearse Park are basically under investigation for subsidence so they are closed.

That said there is no reason the game couldn't be in Mullingar or Tullamore. The atmosphere would be electric in either ground.

But blame all the sheep on the Leinster Council (inc Longford) for not arranging the Dubs QF game away from Croke Park. All the Leinster Council want is Dubs paying into Croke Park. 0% blame should fall on the Dubs. I cannot see the Dublin County Board pulling strings behind the scene - not in their nature.

Yep, its been well documented the last couple of weeks in the media but the people that want Dublin on the road most is the Dubs fans, trust me when I say that. 

AZOffaly

I believe that. I also believe the Dublin team would be happy to play anywhere in Leinster. Except Aughrim. It's hard to get out of Aughrim. (trademark every GAA publication ever). The only ones who don't want Dublin out of Croke Park are the Leinster Council, including the money hungry county boards that make up the Leinster Council.

They would prefer 30k in Croke Park and a shite atmosphere against 18k in Tullamore or 20k in Portlaoise, for the simple reason that 30k x €10 is more than 20k x €10. The event and the spectacle (and the competitiveness of the championship) is being sacrificed to maximise the revenue generating capability. That's the way it is these days.

The Insider

They  put it more subtly than that . 1st thing your are always told when when you query this is that the extra revenue got by keeping Dubs in Croker pays for the coaches , then its grants for ground development for county grounds  and finally its the grants for clubs and team expenses . All at risk . They will also argue that in most grounds they would be unable to allow groups of 10 U-14/16s into the seated areas for the price of 1 adult ticket . Would be losing €200 on that deal in the provincial grounds but Croke Park allows that facility, which is why they are always sent to the Davin/Canal end . But anyway its a day out and we cant lose , run them within 10 points we did great lose by more and its whats expected . While we have given them lots of bother at underage we just wont compete at senior level at present , but in the qualifiers we normally give a Div1 side a fright . 

INDIANA

This will be the last year in Croke Park. Dublin fans will stop going to them soon. Only for the hurling you'd struggle to get 20k at this one

J70

J70

easytiger95

Anyone remember that O'Byrne cup game against Longford few years back in Parnell Park, think it was 08 or so - class game, went to extra time, we needed Jayo to pop up with 2 goals to get out of it? Brian Kavanagh was on fire that night.

My memory is not great, could be wrong about the year, but there was some atmosphere there for the time of year. Far easier for a team to spring an ambush when they are not worrying about the surroundings.

INDIANA

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 18, 2015, 08:47:41 PM
Anyone remember that O'Byrne cup game against Longford few years back in Parnell Park, think it was 08 or so - class game, went to extra time, we needed Jayo to pop up with 2 goals to get out of it? Brian Kavanagh was on fire that night.

My memory is not great, could be wrong about the year, but there was some atmosphere there for the time of year. Far easier for a team to spring an ambush when they are not worrying about the surroundings.

You could play it on Jones Rd and the result would be the same. Brian will be marking his clubmate Rory O Carroll and he'll do well to get any change out of him. Paul Barden is retired which is a pity he was a mervellous player.

His brother was very decent as well. In the mid-2000's Longford had a very decent senior team and gave Kerry plenty of it in Killarney that year in 2006. Their underage results have been decent of late and to me they should be doing a little better then have been at senior level.