FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

FBD final to be played Saturday at 2pm Dr Hyde Park to avoid a clash with club All Ireland finals on Sunday.

Last 5 FBD finals all Galway v Roscommon games.

2015 in Kiltoom - Roscommon 4-8 Galway 1-12
2016 in Tuam - Galway 2-8 Roscommon 0-13
2017 in Kiltoom - Roscommon 0-15 Galway 2-14
2018 in Hyde Park - Roscommon 2-16 Galway 3-12
2019 in Tuam - Galway 1-5 Roscommon 0-13

The two sides have also contested the last 4 in a row Connacht championship finals with 2 wins each. A real healthy rivalry between the two since 2015.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 13, 2020, 12:01:18 PM
Quote from: galwayman on January 13, 2020, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 12, 2020, 10:42:35 PM
Can't believe there's lads here arguing over that FBD match!

Great game for this time of year, credit to both sides. Mayo should be the happier after that despite losing the 6 point lead, they looked the better team, had more new lads stand out and should have really won pulling up to be honest.
From the outside I'm baffled to see that Mayo are sticking with Hennelly, when the pressure comes on he has proven to be unreliable at key points time and time again, today was no exception at a crucial moment.

Good to see Galway stick at it to get it to penos but if that is the kick out "strategy" for the entire year we are in bother. You cannot throw away possession on 50/50 (or worse) contests for the majority of the game, Mayo owned the ball for large stretches of the match as a result of this, took Galway way too long to mix it up with a few short ones. Gleeson looks a good shot stopper in fairness and I wouldn't blame him for the kick outs entirely as it's likely just the instruction to himself and the outfield players.
Easy to see what Joyce is trying to do with the attack, quick ball in, a lot more kick passes as a result and a shoot on sight policy. Varley had a very good match today, won a huge amount of ball that was played in and Shane Walsh was imperious when on the ball. Not a huge amount of success for the new players looking to make their mark, the run out next week against the Rossies will give them another opportunity to hopefully play a bit better.

Great to see Conroy and Parsons back on the field of play as well, both getting on the score sheet with fine points.
Couldn't get to this one unfortunately as was away - how did GOD do at full back today?
Your synopsis of the kickouts is worrying as this was a huge issue for us during Kevin Walsh's tenure.
It's early days though so you'd imagine there will be a big emphasis on sorting this out going forward.

Full back line didn't go well, O'Donnell had a nice textbook dispossession of Irwin at the end which started the move for the Galway point to equalise but outside of that he was middling, good in broken play but he was left trailing behind his man a lot of the time, he looked exactly what he is, a HB trying to play in a line he's not suited to. Maybe with more games there he would improve at the position but I felt the Galway FB line was probably the worst on the pitch, McLoughlin gave them the run around and Reape got a nice few scores as well.
I was hoping to see more out of Galway's HB line but I wouldn't write them off on the basis of that match.

Outside of the result it's more about looking to see what players might come through for the year and overall out of the newbies I was more impressed with the likes of O'Hora on the Mayo team than any of the equivalent Galway players looking to brake into the team such as Murray and Boyle. Gleeson is intriguing if the kickouts improve but difficult to know either way off the back of just one game.

The kickouts seemed to be the biggest issue overall, especially given how long it took them to change up after Galway went totally out of the match in the middle after the first ten minutes.
It seems as if our fullback line worries continue then. Strange that Declan Kyne is gone from the panel given our lack of quality in that area of the pitch (Kerin too if it is true he is no longer there though I heard otherwise).

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on January 13, 2020, 12:24:56 PM

Great game for this time of year, credit to both sides. Mayo should be the happier after that despite losing the 6 point lead, they looked the better team, had more new lads stand out and should have really won pulling up to be honest.
From the outside I'm baffled to see that Mayo are sticking with Hennelly, when the pressure comes on he has proven to be unreliable at key points time and time again, today was no exception at a crucial moment.

Good to see Galway stick at it to get it to penos but if that is the kick out "strategy" for the entire year we are in bother. You cannot throw away possession on 50/50 (or worse) contests for the majority of the game, Mayo owned the ball for large stretches of the match as a result of this, took Galway way too long to mix it up with a few short ones. Gleeson looks a good shot stopper in fairness and I wouldn't blame him for the kick outs entirely as it's likely just the instruction to himself and the outfield players.
Easy to see what Joyce is trying to do with the attack, quick ball in, a lot more kick passes as a result and a shoot on sight policy. Varley had a very good match today, won a huge amount of ball that was played in and Shane Walsh was imperious when on the ball. Not a huge amount of success for the new players looking to make their mark, the run out next week against the Rossies will give them another opportunity to hopefully play a bit better.

Great to see Conroy and Parsons back on the field of play as well, both getting on the score sheet with fine points.
Couldn't get to this one unfortunately as was away - how did GOD do at full back today?
Your synopsis of the kickouts is worrying as this was a huge issue for us during Kevin Walsh's tenure.
It's early days though so you'd imagine there will be a big emphasis on sorting this out going forward.

Full back line didn't go well, O'Donnell had a nice textbook dispossession of Irwin at the end which started the move for the Galway point to equalise but outside of that he was middling, good in broken play but he was left trailing behind his man a lot of the time, he looked exactly what he is, a HB trying to play in a line he's not suited to. Maybe with more games there he would improve at the position but I felt the Galway FB line was probably the worst on the pitch, McLoughlin gave them the run around and Reape got a nice few scores as well.
I was hoping to see more out of Galway's HB line but I wouldn't write them off on the basis of that match.

Outside of the result it's more about looking to see what players might come through for the year and overall out of the newbies I was more impressed with the likes of O'Hora on the Mayo team than any of the equivalent Galway players looking to brake into the team such as Murray and Boyle. Gleeson is intriguing if the kickouts improve but difficult to know either way off the back of just one game.

The kickouts seemed to be the biggest issue overall, especially given how long it took them to change up after Galway went totally out of the match in the middle after the first ten minutes.
It seems as if our fullback line worries continue then. Strange that Declan Kyne is gone from the panel given our lack of quality in that area of the pitch (Kerin too if it is true he is no longer there though I heard otherwise).

I heard second hand that Kyne made himself unavailable due to family reasons. As in he's starting one.

greatpoint

Quote from: rosnarun on January 13, 2020, 10:50:50 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2020, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on January 12, 2020, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 12, 2020, 04:03:59 PM
Convinced they didn't want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

Mayo teams have beaten Galway twice in the last 21 attempts, ye haven't made a final of a Connacht competition for 6 years, and yet Mayo didn't want to win. You're consistent at least, have to give ya that

You cannot take anything from today. Mayo are on the slide, only to be expected. Galway are not going forward or backward. They reached a standard a couple of years ago and flat-lined at that.

Both are a long (long) distance from the Dublin Machine,  So I would not get to excited by local rivalries!

why would you think Mayo are on the Slide?
league champions and All Ireland semifinalists (only losing to the 'Greatest team of all time EVER' from last year and another Excellent bunch of lads look like they're coming through this year another 40 or so playing sigurson Cup and half the starters  on holidays taking a break etc?

I Just don't get the logic

It's probably more to do with the fact that they lost three times in total in last year's championship, two of those losses being heavy defeats.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on January 13, 2020, 12:24:56 PM

In fairness, some players have stepped back for their own reasons, some quarters tend to be too quick to say "x was dropped by Joyce", sure Sean Andy was gone as well apparently as recently as last week and yet he was out on the pitch for the warm ups and named as one of the subs on the program.
The panel is I'm sure open ended enough for the start of the year anyway, there's plenty of lads to come back in yet. Forgot to say that it was great to see Comer back out there, he will make it easier for every other player up front with him when he is back to full fitness given that he takes so much attention from defenders.

mouview

Think Kerins injured currently anyway. His vocal chords could do with a rest anyway I'd imagine.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 13, 2020, 12:05:37 PM
Convinced they didn't want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

Mayo teams have beaten Galway twice in the last 21 attempts, ye haven't made a final of a Connacht competition for 6 years, and yet Mayo didn't want to win. You're consistent at least, have to give ya that

You cannot take anything from today. Mayo are on the slide, only to be expected. Galway are not going forward or backward. They reached a standard a couple of years ago and flat-lined at that.

Both are a long (long) distance from the Dublin Machine,  So I would not get to excited by local rivalries!

league champions and All Ireland semifinalists (only losing to the 'Greatest team of all time EVER' from last year and another Excellent bunch of lads look like they're coming through this year another 40 or so playing sigurson Cup and half the starters  on holidays taking a break etc?

TBH, neither do I.
Mayo are from from being a spent force. It remains to be seen if they as as good as they were in, sy, 2016 , but there's life in the oul' dog yet as the saying goes.
Andy is the only first choice player to have retired and given the number who are game for another go, I feel Mayo won't lack confidence, whatever else may turn out to be lacking. Only time will tell and I'm not giving up on Mayo.
However, having said that, I see one of our old, old failings hasn't gone away, ya know!
Six points up with 12 minutes and Mayo still managed to blow it.
I guess life was never meant to be easy for Mayo and the fans.

Mayo are on the Slide - this is effectively year ten of the Horan/Connelly-Holmes/Roachford/Horan era. The core group cannot go on forever? The Class of 2006 are old men in football terms now. We had a once in a generation golden era. An group that would have reaped rewards in other eras.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 13, 2020, 03:44:17 PM
Convinced they didn’t want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

TBH, neither do I.
Mayo are from from being a spent force. It remains to be seen if they as as good as they were in, sy, 2016 , but there's life in the oul' dog yet as the saying goes.
Andy is the only first choice player to have retired and given the number who are game for another go, I feel Mayo won't lack confidence, whatever else may turn out to be lacking. Only time will tell and I'm not giving up on Mayo.
However, having said that, I see one of our old, old failings hasn't gone away, ya know!

Mayo are on the Slide - this is effectively year ten of the Horan/Connelly-Holmes/Roachford/Horan era. The core group cannot go on forever? The Class of 2006 are old men in football terms now. We had a once in a generation golden era. An group that would have reaped rewards in other eras.
but what evidence can you show  to support  that . definitely not results  not a lack of potential if anything it was the newer player that held up yesterday in forwards Flynn and Walsh bith did as much as could be expected and worth examining further  Murray was Ok at midfield probably needs more gym time but he did some good things . . Fullback line as whole were not great, Varley ran riot but im not sure who to blame for that as he was picked up by several players but I think a backs need more time to settle than forwards.

the older heads will begin to go but there is no reason to believe they cant be replaced , he likes of seam o se and barrett will probably see less time this year but it says a lot about their belief and chacter that thill will stay around to help out the squad  knowing this.
Also there was a discernable change inn mayo style yesterday ith long bal into the forwards ,id like to think its the influence of Ciaran MCD. who hopefully  will be our Xfactor this year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: rosnarun on January 13, 2020, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 13, 2020, 03:44:17 PM

TBH, neither do I.

but what evidence can you show  to support  that . definitely not results  not a lack of potential if anything it was the newer player that held up yesterday in forwards Flynn and Walsh bith did as much as could be expected and worth examining further  Murray was Ok at midfield probably needs more gym time but he did some good things . . Fullback line as whole were not great, Varley ran riot but im not sure who to blame for that as he was picked up by several players but I think a backs need more time to settle than forwards.

the older heads will begin to go but there is no reason to believe they cant be replaced , he likes of seam o se and barrett will probably see less time this year but it says a lot about their belief and chacter that thill will stay around to help out the squad  knowing this.
Also there was a discernable change inn mayo style yesterday ith long bal into the forwards ,id like to think its the influence of Ciaran MCD. who hopefully  will be our Xfactor this year
With the mark, every county will be looking to kick the ball in quicker

larryin89

Very difficult to know with great certainty where mayo are at , how do you even define "finished " in today's inter county world . Let's pretend Mayo get to the super 8 this summer,  for arguments sake if they progressed to a semi final say v Kerry , would you bet your house on a Kerry victory ? 

There is definitely some promise in a dozen players coming into the reckoning now and with Boyler (50mins r so)Higgins(same as boyler),Tom p (? Over getting back to the player he was obviously) Aido, lee, Cillian, paddy , Diarmuid  still very much top players it's not beyond them to win games . So ,finished as all Ireland contenders, probably have been since after 17 (should of won Sam simple as ) but finished as a top 4 side , I wouldn't be certain that's for sure .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

StephenC

Any word on the 2 Galway lads that were stretchered off? Hopefully a speedy recovery for them both.

The game was a well-spent €10 as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of mistakes, plenty of scores, loads of new lads trying to impress, and the rare spectacle of a penalty shoot-out. Great value.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: StephenC on January 13, 2020, 07:03:09 PM
Any word on the 2 Galway lads that were stretchered off? Hopefully a speedy recovery for them both.

I think they are both meant to be OK but I doubt they will be playing next weekend.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on January 13, 2020, 06:36:24 PM
Very difficult to know with great certainty where mayo are at , how do you even define "finished " in today's inter county world . Let's pretend Mayo get to the super 8 this summer,  for arguments sake if they progressed to a semi final say v Kerry , would you bet your house on a Kerry victory ? 

There is definitely some promise in a dozen players coming into the reckoning now and with Boyler (50mins r so)Higgins(same as boyler),Tom p (? Over getting back to the player he was obviously) Aido, lee, Cillian, paddy , Diarmuid  still very much top players it's not beyond them to win games . So ,finished as all Ireland contenders, probably have been since after 17 (should of won Sam simple as ) but finished as a top 4 side , I wouldn't be certain that's for sure .
I go along with that. I'm not confident that Mayo will recapture the form of '16 or '17 this year but I see no reason to suppose they won't make the Super 8s. With the obvious exception of Dublin, I can't see any side I'd be 100% certain we would not be able to handle- and that includes Kerry.
Kerry had an indifferent league, a relatively easy run-in to the Super 8s and like Mayo on more than one occasion ran Dublin close in the first game.  But Dublin made no mistake in the replay and were in cruise control long before the end.
Apart from Clifford, O'Shea and possibly Geaney upfront  and David Moran at midfield , I don't think they have anyone else who'd bother Dublin in the slightest.
Donegal? Seems MacNiallais is and McBrearty won't feature this year so I'd respect them but certainly not fear them.
Who else is left?
Galway I suppose but they've been stuck in the same gear for some years now and unless Pee Joyce has something up his sleeve, there's no reason to suppose they will do any better this year than in the previous couple.
It's far too early in the year to start coming up with firm predictions about anything but I'll still predict that Mayo will  be a top four side when the season finishes.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on January 13, 2020, 06:36:24 PM

Being top 4 or top 6 means nothing, only more cost over the summer without reward. Donegal have been top 4 since 2012 - but you'd never see them having a chance of lifting Sam. Same for Tyrone they are in a constant top four.  Galway have hopped in and out the last couple of years. There are now a group of counties that seem will be top 6 forever. Galway, Mayo. Kerry, Donegal and Tyrone. With the exception of Kerry, all the previous named have flat-lined.

Mayo last year lost to Roscommon, (a well rested) Kerry and Dublin. They won a League title that Dublin we on holidays for. It's hard to believe that Mayo have not won a Connacht title since 2015.

Anyway, luckily for the GAA coffers (someone has to pay for Dublin's GDO's), there is always hope with the Mayo Fans.

I expect Dublin to continue their phenomenal home record in the Championship this summer.

seafoid

The dominance of the Dubs has led to the emergence of a glass ceiling

Normally that Mayo team would have won Sam. The Dubs would have faded and it would have been Mayo's turn in 16 or 17. Tyrone would have kicked on as well.

But not with the Dubs way ahead. Not possible.
The sport is rigged.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU