Connacht senior football championship 2017

Started by macdanger2, April 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2017, 10:19:10 PM
You were confident enough with 19 minutes to go when Sligo were losing, were you? Fair play to you.

Very confident. Teams like New York don't have anything close to the full 70 in them. It's a makey-uppy team that never have before played a championship match together, and indeed never will again either.

sligoman2

Were you confident last year when he were lucky to be level last year with 2 minutes to go?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Duine Eile

Lads what do ye make of Niall Carew up there? He's coming across as a real moaner at the moment, he spent all last week giving out out about the fixing of the match even though its always played on the first Sunday in May, it just happened that this year it didn't fall on the bank holiday and now he's claiming Sligo were disrespected all last week by people tipping New York to win even though he was talking them up big time himself, sounds like there's no pleasing him!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 09, 2017, 06:48:09 PM
Lads what do ye make of Niall Carew up there? He's coming across as a real moaner at the moment, he spent all last week giving out out about the fixing of the match even though its always played on the first Sunday in May, it just happened that this year it didn't fall on the bank holiday and now he's claiming Sligo were disrespected all last week by people tipping New York to win even though he was talking them up big time himself, sounds like there's no pleasing him!

He was taking the pressure off the players - talking them down and highlighting problems. That's what a Manager has to do!

Cunny Funt

Sligo really should have cut ties with him 2015. A lot of good young footballers looking to establish themselves at senior level for Sligo right now in Paddy O Connor,Kyle Cawley,Niall Murphy,Kevin McDonnell,Cian Breheny,Gerard O'Kelly,Darragh Cummins and the two Henrys they all deserve a better manager over them than Carew if they are to fulfill their potential.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 09, 2017, 01:08:11 AM
Were you confident last year when he were lucky to be level last year with 2 minutes to go?

Of course I was. They were still gassed. Only difference is we kept them in the match longer.

And to the above, Sligo are playing to their potential under Carew. He's not a great manager but he doesn't have too much to work with. When lads like Breheny and Egan still have to stick around to fill the breach it says enough.

Hound

Carew actually said that New York showed Sligo disrespect by claiming they could win!

I'd hazard a guess that he's a tool

DJGaliv

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2017, 07:34:53 PM

He was taking the pressure off the players - talking them down and highlighting problems. That's what a Manager has to do!

I don't mind that before a game, but what is the point of moaning after you win about NY showing disrespect. Especially when you're playing up their chances beforehand.

I don't think this playing down your chances always works anyway. Say it often enough and the players start to believe it. It'll work for a couple of games, but not a great long term tactic. And I certainly wouldn't waste it by using it against New York.

Sligo have done quite well in schools football, and imagine they've a good batch coming through now again.

Syferus

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 10, 2017, 01:27:06 PM

I don't mind that before a game, but what is the point of moaning after you win about NY showing disrespect. Especially when you're playing up their chances beforehand.

I don't think this playing down your chances always works anyway. Say it often enough and the players start to believe it. It'll work for a couple of games, but not a great long term tactic. And I certainly wouldn't waste it by using it against New York.

Sligo have done quite well in schools football, and imagine they've a good batch coming through now again.

Schools success barely has any influence at minor IC, why would it be relevant in any way to a senior IC team? That's clutching at straws to be honest.

magpie seanie

I think Carew is the worst manager (and that's saying something!) we've had and a total bluffer. The fact that two lads played for New York that should have been starting for us tells its own story. It's bad enough he's managing the team but if you have the read the drivel he writes in the local paper then you'd be convinced he's clueless. His biggest recommendation seems to be "he worked with McGeeney" who has failed badly everywhere he has been. My biggest gripe is that he has persisted with veterans who are long past it but has fallen out with lads who are at or about to reach their peak. For a county like us that's not overburdened with talent, with a good U21 side this season who were up there with the best in the country, you'd expect more lads to be involved at senior level, especially with some players missing. He seems to prefer playing tried and repeatedly failed option that young lads. 

In his defence, guys coming in to Sligo to manage the team are slaves to who is giving them advice and the same people always seem to find a way in to be able to influence managers. That's a long standing Sligo problem and needs to be solved pronto.

GalwayBayBoy

You'd wonder how important schools football actually is anymore. Galway are dominating at underage in Connacht in recent years despite none of their schools sides being any great shakes. Even Jarlath's. Be interesting to see the schools breakdown of those teams.

That said you could look at Kerry and say the that their current underage success has come from  Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne and St Brendan's having won the last 4 Hogan Cups between them.

DJGaliv

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 10, 2017, 02:44:28 PM

You'd wonder how important schools football actually is anymore. Galway are dominating at underage in Connacht in recent years despite none of their schools sides being any great shakes. Even Jarlath's. Be interesting to see the schools breakdown of those teams.

That said you could look at Kerry and say the that their current underage success has come from  Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne and St Brendan's having won the last 4 Hogan Cups between them.

I hear you, but I think that having successful schools can only be helpful. Just like the link from u21 to senior success can be hard to pin down. I do believe though successful schools and underage teams only help to increase the standard of club football in the county and should help the county team in some shape or form.

It's very hard for many counties to compete any more, and I feel things are getting worse. Net migration to the bigger centres are hitting everyone so you've got to work with what you have. Two nice examples recently are from the u21 all ireland final. The son of Mayo man Anthony Finnerty playing for Galway and Dublin playing with the son of Galway man Fergal Gavin.

Mano

Quote from: Syferus on May 10, 2017, 01:52:56 PM

Schools success barely has any influence at minor IC, why would it be relevant in any way to a senior IC team? That's clutching at straws to be honest.
Sligo have had good minor teams over the last number of years powered mostly by players from the 2 schools playing in the A grade. Cummins, O'connor, Cawley have already made the breakthough to senior level with hopefully a few more to follow. The problem is all the other schools from west and east of the county are playing in the D grade.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 10, 2017, 02:40:28 PM

I think Carew is the worst manager (and that's saying something!) we've had and a total bluffer. The fact that two lads played for New York that should have been starting for us tells its own story. It's bad enough he's managing the team but if you have the read the drivel he writes in the local paper then you'd be convinced he's clueless. His biggest recommendation seems to be "he worked with McGeeney" who has failed badly everywhere he has been. My biggest gripe is that he has persisted with veterans who are long past it but has fallen out with lads who are at or about to reach their peak. For a county like us that's not overburdened with talent, with a good U21 side this season who were up there with the best in the country, you'd expect more lads to be involved at senior level, especially with some players missing. He seems to prefer playing tried and repeatedly failed option that young lads. 

In his defence, guys coming in to Sligo to manage the team are slaves to who is giving them advice and the same people always seem to find a way in to be able to influence managers. That's a long standing Sligo problem and needs to be solved pronto.

How many of the u21 lads are on the senior panel?

Mano

5 I think. 4 I've already mentioned and Nicholson, and O'Kelly-Lynch.