Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

A rather tame ending to the saga. Fancy LD v Cargin final now.

delgany

Great pace in PG1 attack but size of pitch was an advantage. Some amount of Antrim clubs represented in the stand. A  midweek match was a bonus for the neutral spectator.

bannside

Fair play to both teams for keeping the lid on things and in the end the faster pitch suited us with the bit of pace we have. A decent game...not a classic...and we will need to improve to be competitive with LD. But we are a young team still progressing and tonight will stand us in good stead after faltering so badly when it mattered last year. We didnt fear St John's at any stage, and I hope that dosent come across as disrespectful. With their tradition I'm sure they will be back before long.

BrollysArmy

Half time /full time wasn't a bad punt!

NE could have used their 'hurlers' tonight! Can't see PG1 getting past LD, although it's all still very open! Double header semis?

bogieman

So it would appear the leaders made the correct decision, most followers happy and everything on schedule.

Superb pitch condition
Excellent viewing westside
Standard viewing eastside
Convenient location
Ample parking
Ice cream

Good evening out with half decent fare on offer for a Wednesday, only downside was no coffee, did I miss the anthem ?  8)

The was some nonsense talked prior to this match...

Ps some odds on the jonnies for the hurling, because they were fair saving themselves for it last night.

Pss anyone a link to where it explains what warrants yellow cards instead of black, and vice versa ?

psss I completely disagree with boys wearing tights, but would make an exception there, maybe even get the old rollerskate knee and elbow pads out... bet a few boys had the knee skin slicking to the bedsheets last night
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: The Memory Man on September 11, 2019, 08:58:18 AM
Ciaran is doing a good job following on from the great work done by Saffron Vision under Collie, Terry and Paul McCann.  There is a lot good about Antrim GAA but there is a lot still needs improved.  But we need more people to take on very important roles lower down the order.  The one big failing I see is the lack of communication in how decisions are made and the reasons why.  Sean does a brilliant job of PRO promoting our games etc and long may it continue but I would like to see greater transparency and communications.  Publish the fixtures plan, venues, times, contingencies.  Don't say they are sent to your club secretary.  Put them on the website for all to see.  Everybody should have known before a ball was kicked at the weekend what the next stage was if any of the four games ended in a replay.  It looks from the outside we're making this up on the hoof.  We have a full time secretary and administrator and now we're advertising for a Financial Controller, and we are becoming more professional.   Lets get our priorities right, give our blue ribbon events (SFC & SHC) the status and recognition they deserve.  Is that too much to ask?

The most galling thing about this is the fact there is a solution in front of them but no-one will grow a pair and make the call.  Ciaran did the right thing with the league and the error with Cargin and the trophy and got widely applauded  for it.  Time for another big decision.  Its now 8.50am the clock is ticking, please someone make the right decision for all concerned.  I know you read this page.......

If only Memory Man if Only............. Great PR piece though " Eventually we all have to accept full and total responsibility for our actions, everything we have done and have not done"

bannside

Because no one in Portglenone knew the venue, we had a completely wrong first assumption that the pitch was very small, and above all else that's what we feared most. We had three people including myself visit the venue and after this we had no concerns at all. In fact we said bring it on. We knew the faster pitch would suit us too.

So, in all sincerity I can hold my own hands up and say my own initial response was over the top and wrong. The venue is superb and should be used more often if possible. And Im not just saying that because we came out on the right side.

St John's did undoubtedly miss a few of their hurlers and if they can manage that issue in house have enough quality to bounce back. And although it's none of my business, there still seems to be disciplinarian issues there to sort out.......which werent there for a few years but seems to be back again!

Hopefully that puts any residual ill will between the clubs behind us and except I have strong connections and a long affinity with Ruairi Og, I'd be wishing St John's and Michael Johnston well at the weekend.

The Gs Man

Followed the match on twitter last night with the clips and scores coming through more or less in real time.

Couple of cracking goals.

Pitch and floodlights looked great to me.  Spectators looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Much ado about nothing?
Keep 'er lit

belfastsaff

Portglenone played with pace and power and I personally felt were more physical than st johns who tried the usual bullying act.
With forwards like Bam,fitzy, conal Kelly, McBride, mcallin and johnty how can st johns only register 2-6 ( two flukes of goals at that ) - I tell you why the puke defensive football that costs them. They done the exact same last year let the shackles off and play a bit would you!! Fair play to Portglenone will be a very interesting game against LD now. Both teams were the underdogs to come through

Na Glinntí Glasa

i was going to say before the game that i thought it was a grand venue lol but everyone was that pissed about nothing that it would of been missed amongst all the arguing voices lol

was at it twice last year for the U21's and found it great to watch a match on that terrace side. parking a bit tight but sure was it any different than when casement park was open for a big game? followed it on twitter from Seans great coverage (as usual) and it seemed a great advertisment for our local game.

I do sympathise with the Johnies from a dual club point of view as the hurling on sunday will always be the back of the mind as well incase someone got hurt etc.

hurl like f**k boi!

Spike

Regardless of the game, and just to be pedantic.......its 'PPS' and not 'PSS'  :-*

PG1 are a good young team, hungry and very game. The Johnnies have a good spine, some great forwards, but are poor around the periphery and management leave a lot to be desired from

themac_23

Quote from: bannside on September 12, 2019, 08:43:30 AM
Because no one in Portglenone knew the venue, we had a completely wrong first assumption that the pitch was very small, and above all else that's what we feared most. We had three people including myself visit the venue and after this we had no concerns at all. In fact we said bring it on. We knew the faster pitch would suit us too.

So, in all sincerity I can hold my own hands up and say my own initial response was over the top and wrong. The venue is superb and should be used more often if possible. And Im not just saying that because we came out on the right side.

St John's did undoubtedly miss a few of their hurlers and if they can manage that issue in house have enough quality to bounce back. And although it's none of my business, there still seems to be disciplinarian issues there to sort out.......which werent there for a few years but seems to be back again!

Hopefully that puts any residual ill will between the clubs behind us and except I have strong connections and a long affinity with Ruairi Og, I'd be wishing St John's and Michael Johnston well at the weekend.

Didn't post anything about the pitch before the game because I didn't have a horse in the race as they say, but there is a feeling that 3G pitches are terrible and not geared for good football. The opposite is actually true with the newer pitches. I've been on that one from last night and the surface is unreal, the lights are also top class. I know footballing purists want games played on grass but give me a good 3G over a poor grass any day. Especially teams who want to play fast flowing football a 3G pitch suits them to the ground.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 12, 2019, 09:17:26 AM

followed it on twitter from Seans great coverage (as usual) and it seemed a great advertisment for our local game.

Agreed, coverage was first class.
Keep 'er lit

imtommygunn

Agreed. I was sitting refreshing regularly.

It has been the most talked about game in years after all lol.

Dunsilly King

Would you listen to ya, its a school pitch, a 3G school pitch. As for 3/4G, research coming out of Holland showing increased injuries from training on 3/4G pitches as they have poor 'give' in them compared to grass pitches. Not a club in Belfast has match lights with half decent spectator facilities, that's the story here. Embarrassing for them and the CB to take a championship game to a school pitch.