Deposit Return Scheme (for Plastic Drinks Bottles and Cans)

Started by AustinPowers, February 01, 2024, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Comes into effect  today, 1 February.

Anyone  used this yet?

Is it easy  to use?  Any issues with it ? 

lurganblue

Something similar coming in in the UK in Oct 2025 I believe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 01, 2024, 02:28:35 PMComes into effect  today, 1 February.

Anyone  used this yet?

They pay it into your card, so you might not like it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

You pay more up front and then have to trip back to the shop to recycle/refund bottles that the council currently collect from my doorstep :(

Doesn't make sense to me, apart from a feeling that I'm going to get penalised for all the lazy bastatfs who couldn't be arsed putting the right bottle in the right bin currently.

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2024, 03:50:28 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 01, 2024, 02:28:35 PMComes into effect  today, 1 February.

Anyone  used this yet?

They pay it into your card, so you might not like it
Says cash in the video.
I like it but I imagine it'll be a whole song and dance for some people.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Sportacus on February 01, 2024, 05:35:26 PMYou pay more up front and then have to trip back to the shop to recycle/refund bottles that the council currently collect from my doorstep :(

Doesn't make sense to me, apart from a feeling that I'm going to get penalised for all the lazy bastatfs who couldn't be arsed putting the right bottle in the right bin currently.
Feel the same makes no sense. My recycle bin is already half full with plastic bottles.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AustinPowers

It seems  small businesses are at a disadvantage  here with these machines , as they  cost up to €30,000 .

Hard to compete against  the big supermarkets who can afford  to install them  , and then pick up the trade  from those there returning  the bottles

An Astrail

We've had it here in New South Wales for a few years now - it's on glass as well, but only up to a certain size. Intended to be only the ones that would often be drunk away from home - they assume the rest would go into recycling anyway. So beer and soft drinks are in but wine bottles and big milk containers are out.

Seems to have reduced litter quite a bit if nothing else.

armaghniac

Quote from: An Astrail on February 06, 2024, 12:34:56 AMWe've had it here in New South Wales for a few years now - it's on glass as well, but only up to a certain size. Intended to be only the ones that would often be drunk away from home - they assume the rest would go into recycling anyway. So beer and soft drinks are in but wine bottles and big milk containers are out.

Seems to have reduced litter quite a bit if nothing else.

Here it would have been perfectly reasonable on 500Ml and 750Ml bottles that you use on the move, but it should not have been imposed on 1.5L bottles which mostly go into households and from there into the recycling bin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B