Ex-County players still playing club football at a brave oul age

Started by theticklemister, July 15, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

heffo

Joe McNally played Senior football until he was 43, won a Junior D championship when he wasn't far off 50

rrhf

The maestro Mickey Harte himself played for Errigal reserves  till his mid late 40s Im sure. 

theticklemister

Quote from: heffo on July 20, 2012, 09:13:02 AM
Joe McNally played Senior football until he was 43, won a Junior D championship when he wasn't far off 50

Heffo me oul mucker, how does a Junior D championship work? I know Dublin has more clubs than Derry, so is it the fourth teir of Junior football?

heffo

Quote from: theticklemister on July 20, 2012, 01:32:52 PM

Heffo me oul mucker, how does a Junior D championship work? I know Dublin has more clubs than Derry, so is it the fourth teir of Junior football?

In Dublin in Football we have Senior, Intermediate, Junior A/B/C/D & E championships.

If you play Senior one year and you want to play lower you have to apply to regrade but you'd rarely be allowed to drop two in one go.

The lower grades can be of a decent standard particularly with the culchie teams who drag fellas out of everywhere - there was a Sligo panellist playing Junior E one year under a different name!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heffo on July 20, 2012, 01:48:57 PM

In Dublin in Football we have Senior, Intermediate, Junior A/B/C/D & E championships.

If you play Senior one year and you want to play lower you have to apply to regrade but you'd rarely be allowed to drop two in one go.

The lower grades can be of a decent standard particularly with the culchie teams who drag fellas out of everywhere - there was a Sligo panellist playing Junior E one year under a different name!

I presume it works then that a team has to win its respective grade at junior before it can be "promoted"? 

heffo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 20, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 20, 2012, 01:48:57 PM

I presume it works then that a team has to win its respective grade at junior before it can be "promoted"?

99% of the time yes especially Senior/Intermediate/Junior A but in some cases you can apply to go up or drop down - e.g Some  of the massive teams like Na Fianna who have 100 teams and something like 70-odd minor players this year could enter a Junior E team next year and ask for their Junior D to go Junior C etc

Bingo

Some clubs in Dublin have huge another of teams. Worked with a lad that played with one the Crokes junior teams, I would have known some people from the crokes and lads who played senior with them at the time from Monaghan. He'd not have a clue who or what I'd be talking about. He knew when his team was playing and enjoyed playing with them but that was as far as he got involved in the club and where his interested ended, which is fair enough and at least he was still playing.

heffo

Quote from: Bingo on July 20, 2012, 02:07:54 PM
Some clubs in Dublin have huge another of teams. Worked with a lad that played with one the Crokes junior teams, I would have known some people from the crokes and lads who played senior with them at the time from Monaghan. He'd not have a clue who or what I'd be talking about. He knew when his team was playing and enjoyed playing with them but that was as far as he got involved in the club and where his interested ended, which is fair enough and at least he was still playing.

Paraic McDonald??

Some clubs are massive and there can be a huge disconnect alright between members

haranguerer

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2012, 10:07:34 PM
I'm talking Brian Dooher in the last few years where he was a a deep-set link man with vertern leadership, not as a mop-up man. McD's vision as a passer would make him ideal for that sort of role, maybe what Paraig Joyce still offers Galway or what Frankie Dolan is doing for St. Brigids are better examples, classy footballers who have become real playmakers in their 30s.

Thats the role mcdonald already played. He definitely had plenty left in him. Dooher didnt really play that role, he was a workhorse until he required, making his longevity even more admirable

Onion Bag

Tony Brown lined out last week at wing half back for Waterford hurlers at 39.

that is some feat, playing hurling at that level at that age
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

theticklemister

Anthony McGurk (Double All-Star winner with Derry at CHB and CF) came on at 41 in Lavey's All-Ireland winning club championship team in 1991.

Bingo

Quote from: heffo on July 20, 2012, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 20, 2012, 02:07:54 PM

Paraic McDonald??

Some clubs are massive and there can be a huge disconnect alright between members

Yeah, Ducksy, a good Blayney Faughs man. Also Colm Flanagan was playing at the time, I'd have been sharing a flat with him at the time.

Gold

Quote from: Orchardman on July 19, 2012, 09:29:11 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 19, 2012, 06:56:16 PM
Mick O'Connell played a few games for Valentia juniors a couple of years ago...he was 69 at the time I think! Still looked fairly fit aswell.

u serious? did he kick any scores

No way surely?!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Harold Disgracey

I remember Micko was in our club a couple of years ago and he had a photo with him of Mick O'Connell playing in a junior championship match at the age of 58. I had heard this before but this was the first time I saw photographic proof.