GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Arlene has taken the Fermanagh news badly .
Gaa have nobody to blame here but themselves.
She never misses a game at Brewster...

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1316820885676982277?s=19 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

square_ball

Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 06:01:13 PM
I'd say a lot of intercounty players are probably glad of having football as a distraction in these times.

Stefan Campbell said as much today but won't get as many headlines as John Heslins statement.

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2020, 08:16:10 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2020, 05:21:54 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2020, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2020, 04:41:55 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 15, 2020, 02:02:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2020, 12:44:46 PM
So this shit is actually going ahead?

Donegal and Tyrone are meeting in Ballybofey this weekend?

Looking forward to it, will be interesting to see if the championship has any bearing on the way the teams approach it. Both still need points and a game behind them so it should be fairly competitive.

Will be great to see some live gaa over the next 2 months if it goes ahead. It's relatively small numbers involved and most teams will be out with 3/4 weeks for now. Given the lack of cases attributed to thousands of club games the matches will hopefully pass of without issue. The only problem could be if an outsider won the All Ireland and everyone went on the drink together.

I think by now most people know the dangers of celebrations so hopefully there won't be the mass gatherings like happened after club matches.

It's ridiculous games are going ahead this weekend, especially in the North. Wexford clubs went on the piss after the county finals and now 6 players on the football/hurling panel have tested positive for Covid-19. Kerry players are expected to drive up to Monaghan individually and back again for their game. Crazy what's going on

What's you opinion of the rugby games I listed going ahead? A lot of them are taking place in the north. There's probably League of Ireland and Irish League soccer too. Are we not playing any of them or is it just GAA cos GAA is the only one that ever gets mentioned.

LOI have shown they can deal with Covid-19 and implement social distancing. They haven't had any problems. The club rugby games shouldn't really go ahead either.

I see IRFU have now cancelled the club games at the weekend.

A mate of mine is chairman of a league of Ireland rugby club here in Belfast, they've had loads of issues with having games played due to Covid, it's not plain sailing

It's not so much getting the games played. It's allowing people in to watch games and not social distancing.

If you worked with a kerry footballer would you be comfortable working along side him on Monday after he spent the weekend in Monaghan?

Milltown Row2

If he's responsible and followed the rules, the yes, if he was a piss head then no.. very simple. That goes for any clampit that wants to expose himself to risk.

Players are at elite level they are meant to keep within their bubbles.

I was refereeing last week, in house county game, should I have informed my work colleagues?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2020, 10:55:40 PM
If he's responsible and followed the rules, the yes, if he was a piss head then no.. very simple. That goes for any clampit that wants to expose himself to risk.

I was refereeing last week, in house county game, should I have informed my work colleagues?

Did you spend the weekend in a county with one of the highest covid-19 rates in the country? If so then yes. Also payers have real lives off the pitch. They mix with work colleagues and families on a daily basis. It's not like the EPL were you can create bubbles for players.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2020, 11:02:14 PM

Did you spend the weekend in a county with one of the highest covid-19 rates in the country? If so then yes. Also payers have real lives off the pitch. They mix with work colleagues and families on a daily basis. It's not like the EPL were you can create bubbles for players.

There might be a few exceptions in the league but for nearly every match played over the next month teams will travel back and forth on the same day. In that case what difference does it make what county the game is played in? They'll pull up at a football pitch play the game and go home. It's not like the locals will have sprayed covid on the pitch or the air will be full of it. If the rules are followed the venue shouldn't make any difference.

The government are currently trying to manage risks. They aren't keeping everyone in the house and trying to manage what activities go ahead. They obviously see plenty of benefits of these games going ahead - it's difficult times and will help take the pandemic of tens of thousands of people every weekend and give them something else to talk and think about. That's one huge mental health benefit. It will also help generate money that would otherwise be lost. The gaa might not be professional but it does generate a lot of money which is pumped back into local communities.

Also they obviously see the risk being on the low side given the matches are outside. This is backed up by the fact that thousands of club matches have been played to date and the only clusters happened in individual clubs (it wasn't passed on to the opposition on the pitch) who were out celebrating or drowning their sorrows after county finals. As the games are centrally managed there will be a lot of matchday procedures in place to ensure the games are played safely and given the short time frame between games and the nature of county players I don't think there will be major post game issues in terms of gatherings.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2020, 11:02:14 PM

Hotels and bars are closed in the north for a month, anyone staying over will be sleeping in their car
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: FermGael on October 15, 2020, 10:09:17 PM

Is she implying that the GAA aren't elite sports in the north?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

Prepare yourselves for the outrage that will take place when there are scenes of scuffles breaking out at the weekend, players in each others faces and pulling and dragging ensuing.

That's the way the game is played but the Screaming Marys won't be stopped.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 16, 2020, 09:16:27 AM

No think she took exception to a few headlines saying the gaa wasnt impacted by the new rules. The headlines of course were referring to county football. She was pointing out that like every other sport the gaa can only continue at elite level and she said in gaa this was county football. The tweet itself was confusing if you didn't know the context of it.

armaghniac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 16, 2020, 08:11:11 AM
The government are currently trying to manage risks. They aren't keeping everyone in the house and trying to manage what activities go ahead. They obviously see plenty of benefits of these games going ahead - it's difficult times and will help take the pandemic of tens of thousands of people every weekend and give them something else to talk and think about. That's one huge mental health benefit. It will also help generate money that would otherwise be lost. The gaa might not be professional but it does generate a lot of money which is pumped back into local communities.

However, they are concerned that people will go to other people's houses to watch games, either for the usual or even to save on the GAAGo fee. The GAA should specifically ask people not to do this.

Quotelso they obviously see the risk being on the low side given the matches are outside. This is backed up by the fact that thousands of club matches have been played to date and the only clusters happened in individual clubs (it wasn't passed on to the opposition on the pitch) who were out celebrating or drowning their sorrows after county finals. As the games are centrally managed there will be a lot of matchday procedures in place to ensure the games are played safely and given the short time frame between games and the nature of county players I don't think there will be major post game issues in terms of gatherings.

They have recommended that there be no team huddles and the like and it will be interesting to see which teams are thick about this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 16, 2020, 10:41:23 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 16, 2020, 09:16:27 AM

No think she took exception to a few headlines saying the gaa wasnt impacted by the new rules. The headlines of course were referring to county football. She was pointing out that like every other sport the gaa can only continue at elite level and she said in gaa this was county football. The tweet itself was confusing if you didn't know the context of it.

Ah right. I just saw it there and I didn't know what the context was.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 15, 2020, 05:46:43 PM
Club rugby is off now because it is not elite sport.

no - it's off because the IRFU decided to pull it I think. It coulfn't have been played last weekend in the ROI anyway if it wasn't classified as "elite".

Blowitupref

Level 5 recommended by NPHET for the next six weeks, unlikely the government decline that for a 2nd time? NPHET said in a previous letter its ok to give the go ahead to Inter County matches at level 5 but last night Leo Varadkar said the GAA matches are off if we move to Level 5.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Everything is going to pot again and I'd say the whole thing will be called to a halt next week but there's one thing for sure that we've learned since he had to take the number two position in Government and it's that Leo's ego is as out of control as the current spread of the COVID-19 virus.