Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2018, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:11:08 PM
This is a bit of a narrative destroyer.

Given some of the stuff we've heard from Ewan and Parky etc. over the last while, one would surely have expected Dublin to be way out in front at the top of this list, but they aren't even top of it.

Remember much of Dublin's spending goes on hurling too, whereas several counties near the top of this list pay no more than lip sevice to whichever is the weaker game in their county.

This is pure dross in the context of these numbers being totally cooked in many cases given the salaries of management team members are not included among many other types of under the table payments and inducements and freebies, let alone the fact most counties outside of Dublin pay exorbitant mileage expenses just to assemble their panel for training.

Nevermind the fact that to believe your line you have to assume that the millions upon millions of grant money to Dublin did not benefit player and coach development in the county in any manner whatsoever. Since you have to then be of the opinion that money is an incredible waste in Dublin, why not give it to the rest and see what happens, eh?

Poor attempt, Sid. That exact same .jpg has been rubbished multiple times in this thread alone.

If other counties are cooking the books as you say, then their expenditure in this graph is being underestimated, which makes it look even worse for them and better for Dublin.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:25:48 PM

Given some of the stuff we've heard from Ewan and Parky etc. over the last while, one would surely have expected Dublin to be way out in front at the top of this list, but they aren't even top of it.

Remember much of Dublin's spending goes on hurling too, whereas several counties near the top of this list pay no more than lip sevice to whichever is the weaker game in their county.

This is pure dross in the context of these numbers being totally cooked in many cases given the salaries of management team members are not included among many other types of under the table payments and inducements and freebies, let alone the fact most counties outside of Dublin pay exorbitant mileage expenses just to assemble their panel for training.

Nevermind the fact that to believe your line you have to assume that the millions upon millions of grant money to Dublin did not benefit player and coach development in the county in any manner whatsoever. Since you have to then be of the opinion that money is an incredible waste in Dublin, why not give it to the rest and see what happens, eh?

Poor attempt, Sid. That exact same .jpg has been rubbished multiple times in this thread alone.

If other counties are cooking the books as you say, then their expenditure in this graph is being underestimated, which makes it look even worse for them and better for Dublin.

Trying to take one aspect (and out of context at that) because you know well my post rubbishes the 'narrative destoryer' that you billed that old .jpg as. My post stands well enough as is.

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2018, 02:29:01 PM

Trying to take one aspect (and out of context at that) because you know well my post rubbishes the 'narrative destoryer' that you billed that old .jpg as. My post stands well enough as is.
The fact is that the Dublin football team work harder than any other team in Ireland. Only Mayo come anywhere close.

Alan Brogan is 100% correct on this.

TheGreatest

I have seen that Graph before but nobody could answer this, is this per team (football) or both the Adult Male senior teams in Football and Hurling combined?

TheGreatest

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:35:25 PM

The fact is that the Dublin football team work harder than any other team in Ireland. Only Mayo come anywhere close.

How do you know they don't, do you measure different categories in training and how many sessions and spare time used to practice etc. ! :) he said its a contributing factor, not the main factor, he's entitled to his opinion and expert opinions of being involved under 4 different managements and teams including the current one.

sid waddell

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 12, 2018, 02:37:55 PM

How do you know they don't, do you measure different categories in training and how many sessions and spare time used to practice etc. ! :) he said its a contributing factor, not the main factor, he's entitled to his opinion and expert opinions of being involved under 4 different managements and teams including the current one.
Sorry? I said Dublin do work harder and smarter than any other team with the possible exception of Mayo.

The proof is in the eating.

highorlow

QuoteThe fact is that the Dublin football team work harder than any other team in Ireland. Only Mayo come anywhere close.

Given all the advantages Dublin have I would nearly say that Mayo have to work harder.

It's easier for the Dublin lads have a day that involves for example (and I've heard anecdotally that this is a typical day for a Dublin footballer) early morning training, after that nutritional stuff, then some rest, a small bit of desk work and then another training session with probably every other night an A v B match. All spent with their team-mates. Shur didn't McCarthy say how close the lads are in his interview after the game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

shark

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 12, 2018, 02:36:04 PM
I have seen that Graph before but nobody could answer this, is this per team (football) or both the Adult Male senior teams in Football and Hurling combined?

It is supposed to be for both. However, as Syferus correctly points out, it is not remotely accurate. And even if the figures were somewhere close to correct (they are not), it is not a good relative indicator. Games cost money (travel, hotels, etc) - teams do not all have the same number in any given year, and not all teams travel similar distances. Training costs money - teams do not all stay in the championship for the same length of time, and not all have the exact same number of players claiming mileage costs.
Knowing from personal experience how an intercounty team sources money for it's needs, there is no way an accurate report could be put together. So much of it comes under the table from differing sources. Often with no county board knowledge.

Posters here need to stop quoting these figures. They are nonsense, pure and simple.

sid waddell

Quote from: highorlow on September 12, 2018, 02:53:24 PM
QuoteThe fact is that the Dublin football team work harder than any other team in Ireland. Only Mayo come anywhere close.

Given all the advantages Dublin have I would nearly say that Mayo have to work harder.

It's easier for the Dublin lads have a day that involves for example (and I've heard anecdotally that this is a typical day for a Dublin footballer) early morning training, after that nutritional stuff, then some rest, a small bit of desk work and then another training session with probably every other night an A v B match. All spent with their team-mates. Shur didn't McCarthy say how close the lads are in his interview after the game.
Let's not go back over the nonsense that Dublin players don't work.

priceyreilly

So Dublin GAA are getting 2.5 million on average per year just to fund their underage structures. They get millions in sponsorship money, they have all the best facilities in the country on their doorstep and paid for, they have huge backroom teams featuring world champion boxers and expert coaches, millions spent on team preparation, in football they've only had one away game since 2006, they have weekly meals prepared for them, free cars for every player football and hurling the list goes on and on and on.

Basically, how can they not pick up tons of trophies? It's impossible not to. It's actually embarrassing that they haven't won more in hurling. This level of funding can't be justified. I'm just happy to see that it's getting more coverage now. The Dublin media are putting on a major campaign to try to silence this. It's not working. The end is coming near.

Franko

OK, I'll bite.  Can you provide ANYTHING resembling evidence of this?

sid waddell

On the 2017 spending list, I was surprised to see Limerick up in fifth place with €1.148 million.

Limerick played a grand total of four games in the 2017 senior championships - two hurling and two football - the lowest it's possible to play.

Yet there they are up in fifth place. €1.148 million is serious spending considering the teams' lack of success.

Now, as we all know, Limerick went on to win the 2018 All-Ireland hurling championship in superb style, playing eight games along the way.

So when the 2018 list is published, we can expect a hefty increase in Limerick's spending total for this year from the already hefty spending from the unsuccessful 2017.

Can we expect the usual suspects to thus claim that Limerick bought the All-Ireland?

Or does that spurious claim only apply to teams the usual suspects don't like, like Dublin?

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on September 12, 2018, 03:26:27 PM

OK, I'll bite.  Can you provide ANYTHING resembling evidence of this?
i) The fact that Dublin players run harder, faster and longer than opposition players.
ii) The fact that Dublin players are able to take hits better than opposition players.
iii) The fact that Dublin players are more skilful than opposition players.
iv) The fact that Dublin have more advanced tactics than other teams.

The evidence is staring you in the face, really.

priceyreilly

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 03:29:09 PM
On the 2017 spending list, I was surprised to see Limerick up in fifth place with €1.148 million.

Limerick played a grand total of four games in the 2017 senior championships - two hurling and two football - the lowest it's possible to play.

Yet there they are up in fifth place. €1.148 million is serious spending considering the teams' lack of success.

Now, as we all know, Limerick went on to win the 2018 All-Ireland hurling championship in superb style, playing eight games along the way.

So when the 2018 list is published, we can expect a hefty increase in Limerick's spending total for this year from the already hefty spending from the unsuccessful 2017.

Can we expect the usual suspects to thus claim that Limerick bought the All-Ireland?

Or does that spurious claim only apply to teams the usual suspects don't like, like Dublin?

Why wouldn't people claim it? Do you think they bought an All Ireland?

Now let's look at Limerick's bought All Ireland v Dublin's bought All Ireland's.

Limerick have been sponsored by a very wealthy individual. This is equivalent to Dublin being sponsored by AIG.
They haven't been given 2.5 million per year to fund their underage system, they don't have a huge list of other sponsors, they haven't had every championship game bar 1 at home since 2006.
If you think Limerick have bought an All Ireland then the only conclusion is that Dublin have been handed multiple All Ireland's!

priceyreilly

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 03:32:39 PM

i) The fact that Dublin players run harder, faster and longer than opposition players.
ii) The fact that Dublin players are able to take hits better than opposition players.
iii) The fact that Dublin players are more skilful than opposition players.
iv) The fact that Dublin have more advanced tactics than other teams.

The evidence is staring you in the face, really.

You missed a fact.

Dublin are the only professional team playing against amatuer teams.