37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

Keyser soze

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 04:11:23 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on July 27, 2018, 04:08:47 PM
So neither of the 2 main posters rabidly criticizing the GAA for not being charitable enough have even thought of making a wee contribution to the fund.

Well I suppose at least you're not dinosaurs. Though maybe there are other words to describe the type of people you are.
Infantile.

I take it you are happy with how this has been handled?

I am not happy with how u are handling it you windbag.

It is clear you are happy to continually use this issue, about you clearly do not have even enough empathy to make a contribution to the cause, as a vehicle to criticise the GAA.   

Rossfan

It's amazing how windbags can be deflated when asked to put paw in póca.
A bit like Soccer in general >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 12:48:22 PM
Again, are you addressing that comment specifically to me, i.e. 'don't patronise us'?
Also, what words did I put in his mouth?
that his dinosaur comment was directed at the entire  GAA. It clearly wasn't. You are chosing to be outraged to push the conversation away from the GAA. Not has he a point/is that how the rest of the world see us, instead its how dare he. And profound ignorance about him being a pundit follows.

Meanwhile the story continues. And Damien Duff aint the villian

I'm not outraged.
Even slightly.
You keep banging on about the 'backlash' to Duff's comments.
I'm telling you why there was a backlash.
This was my original comment.

Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 11:04:25 AM
It won't make any difference to the outcome but I think we could have done without Damien Duff's comments yesterday.

I think the last few days have very clearly demonstrated that we could have done without Damien Duff's comments.
The tone of the conversation in traditional media and social media was unified and supportive of the cause before then.
It is undoubtedly less unified and less supportive since.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

So neither of the 2 main posters rabidly criticizing the GAA for not being charitable enough have even thought of making a wee contribution to the fund.

Well I suppose at least you're not dinosaurs. Though maybe there are other words to describe the type of people you are.

I said the exact opposite of what you're suggesting but this is your response. I suppose closing your ears when your tactic falls flat on its face is preferable to admitting you were wrong in your eyes.

Again, a charity match for a man who died in his mid-30s of cancer with a young family and this is the type of contribution you're making to the discussion. Truly pathetic.

Also Jinxy, the 'backlash' long predates Duff's comments. This very thread proves that. The GAA or its members has no right to be offended on this one. They walked themselves into this disaster by not just opening up all grounds in the wake of the Croke Park opening ten years ago. Dinosaurs is being kind to the suits on this one.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 04:35:00 PM

I said the exact opposite of what you're suggesting but this is your response. I suppose closing your ears when your tactic falls flat on its face is preferable to admitting you were wrong in your eyes.

Again, a charity match for a man who died in his mid-30s of cancer with a young family and this is the type of contribution you're making to the discussion. Truly pathetic.

So you thought about making a contribution....go you..

Syferus

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 27, 2018, 04:38:08 PM

Still haven't got it right, and still pathetic.

trailer

I think we all should donate to this multi millionaire's family. It's the least we could do given how badly we've treated soccer and it's other multi millionaire's who haven't got a decent stadium to play in order to raise money for this multi millionaire.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 04:39:08 PM

Well I asked you for proof of your donation and said I would match any donation you had already made and you failed to provide said proof, so still waiting to be proved wrong.

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 04:45:45 PM
I think we all should donate to this multi millionaire's family. It's the least we could do given how badly we've treated soccer and it's other multi millionaire's who haven't got a decent stadium to play in order to raise money for this multi millionaire.

I'm a big beliver in karma and what goes around comes around. You think the GAA are somehow right, I and the vast majority don't. Fair enough. You've moved on from there to slatting Damien Duff as he has somehow become the bad guy and now you make a joke out a man's death. How can a person be so full of hate?? It's not normal

Solo_run

It is starting to become a joke - all these soccer players and managers coming out to slag the GAA.

F*ck em, let them find their own venue.

It is sad that a player has died under tragic circumstances but at the same time he was not from the GAA code.

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on July 27, 2018, 05:20:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 04:45:45 PM

I'm a big beliver in karma and what goes around comes around. You think the GAA are somehow right, I and the vast majority don't. Fair enough. You've moved on from there to slatting Damien Duff as he has somehow become the bad guy and now you make a joke out a man's death. How can a person be so full of hate?? It's not normal

I'm not making a joke out of his death. But I am making a joke out of the people who bash the GAA.
I'm glad you wish me well.
I am not full of hate and I will gladly make a donation to the hospice in cork. Please post the link.

I've made my point. I hope the match does go ahead in PUC and I hope it raising an absolute fortune for everyone involved.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Solo_run on July 27, 2018, 05:23:43 PM
It is starting to become a joke - all these soccer players and managers coming out to slag the GAA.

F*ck em, let them find their own venue.

It is sad that a player has died under tragic circumstances but at the same time he was not from the GAA code.
Except he was....

Syferus

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 27, 2018, 04:47:53 PM

Well I asked you for proof of your donation and said I would match any donation you had already made and you failed to provide said proof, so still waiting to be proved wrong.

I'm not playing your rather pathetic game. The very premise that you assumed people hadn't donated is so incredibly myopic I'm amazed you're still trying to push it. You made a bad assumption. And one that used a charity match as a prop in an online argument. Well done.

If you want to make a donation, why don't you do it of your own volition and not tie it to what others do for you?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 05:36:47 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on July 27, 2018, 04:47:53 PM

I'm not playing your rather pathetic game. The very premise that you assumed people hadn't donated is so incredibly myopic I'm amazed you're still trying to push it. You made a bad assumption. And one that used a charity match as a prop in an online argument. Well done.

If you want to make a donation, why don't you do it of your own volition and not tie it to what others do for you?

I assumed u had given ur strongly expressed sentiments. It appears that I was wrong about that. But sure u know what they say about  about assuming.

Looks like I made an ass out of me. And u have made an ass out of yourself. Again.

sid waddell

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:42:46 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 10:01:00 AM
We've had a lot of "backlash" against Duff's comments but still nothing of substance to dispute the accuracy of them.

If I wanted "backlash" which doesn't deal with reality, I'd read a Daily Mail comment section.

Sid, if a doctor sat you down and said, "You're absolutely f*cked, it's terminal cancer", would you take issue with his tone and language or would you say, "Thank you for accurately informing me that I am going to die!"
You want Damien Duff to speak like an oncologist?

Why on earth would you want him to do that?

And why the deflection?

The reason association football and rugby are not allowed to be played at GAA venues, while concerts, American football and boxing are allowed to take place, is because association football and rugby are perceived to be "British" sports.

Let's not beat around the bush - that is the reason. Because they are "British".

I'd love somebody to explain to me how that isn't a dinosaur attitude. Nobody has yet even had a go at doing so.

It's not deflection.
You can't seem to grasp why people are annoyed with Duff.
Plenty of individuals, both inside and outside the GAA, have made the same point as him, but they didn't use the same aggressive tone and they didn't refer to 'f*cking dinosaurs'.
A significant number of 'gaelic people' interpreted Duff's comments as an attack on all of us, not just the hierarchy.
Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this because it seems to me you've adopted the somewhat disingenuous position of 'it only matters what you say, it doesn't matter how you say it'.
I can. It's because he's told a home truth that has touched a raw nerve.

It has touched a raw nerve because deep down, those complaining know it to be true.

But instead of accepting the truth of what he said, some people prefer to close ranks.

It's a classic case of denial.