126 (70.4%)
No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

trailer

I think soccer has suffered in this whole fiasco. Their poster boy, Duff is shown up for the nasty piece of work that he is. A professional game with no worthwhile stadia. People start wondering who's the professionals and who's the amatuers.
Another thing is I'd never have turned the fundraiser and what it was for, but now a lot of people are asking why a multi millionaire's family needs a gather up organised by a load of other multi millionaires.  :o

Syferus

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 02:08:14 PM
I think soccer has suffered in this whole fiasco. Their poster boy, Duff is shown up for the nasty piece of work that he is. A professional game with no worthwhile stadia. People start wondering who's the professionals and who's the amatuers.
Another thing is I'd never have turned the fundraiser and what it was for, but now a lot of people are asking why a multi millionaire's family needs a gather up organised by a load of other multi millionaires.  :o

No, they are not. You soundly lost this argument pages ago.

mrdeeds

Damien Duff is the poster boy for soccer?

trailer

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 27, 2018, 02:14:41 PM

Sorry perhaps I should say 'former poster boy'
Anyway he's lost a lot of respect across the country. He'll have to play in a lot more fundraisers to earn that back.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 02:18:25 PM

Anyway he's lost a lot of respect across the country. He'll have to play in a lot more fundraisers to earn that back.
I see what you did there. You lost respect for him, therefore everyone did.

If the GAA community are split on whether he was right or wrong,  I doubt soccer will turn on him.

You are, as the kids say, snowflaking here.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 02:13:36 PM

No, they are not. You soundly lost this argument pages ago.
Who is he trying to convince...

mup

Do you have access to this bank account? How do you know he is a millionaire?

trailer

Quote from: mup on July 27, 2018, 02:25:59 PM

Do you have access to this bank account? How do you know he is a millionaire?

He earned over £10m in his career. He was on £25k a week at Utd. I'd say he was a multi millionaire.

Anyway I hope PUC is opened to them. And I wish them well with their fundraiser.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 02:25:18 PM

If the GAA community are split on whether he was right or wrong,  I doubt soccer will turn on him.

No Soccer won't turn on him. They like his sort.

Jim_Murphy_74

If they have then it's an irrelevant side effect when it comes to GAA members deciding what should/shouldn't be in GAA rule book.  FAI amateurism is well known for a long time.

Again from a GAA point of view that's irrelevant.  The GAA made it amply clear in their first statement on this matter.  They stated they were fully supportive of this charity venture but the issue lay within their rulebook.   So they defined the issue as being wholly about the GAA, not about FAI, not about Liam Miller's wealth and not about the worthiness of this charity venture versus others.  Agenda firmly set by GAA that this is a GAA-only matter.

/Jim.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 02:34:49 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 02:25:18 PM

No Soccer won't turn on him. They like his sort.
His sort?

Redhand Santa

Like many others I think the game should go ahead. However, the entitlement of the soccer crew is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with asking someone to use their facilities. But when you are politely declined and offered other help I'm not sure you are in a position to launch a full scale public assault on the people you are asking a favour of. Especially when you are competing with that organisation, including some of your clubs banning underage  players from playing gaa.

If cork had wanted to avoid this they easily could have said the ground was in use. The likes of duff shouldn't be using a charity game or someone's memory to take a go at the gaa.

trailer

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 02:36:41 PM

If they have then it's an irrelevant side effect when it comes to GAA members deciding what should/shouldn't be in GAA rule book.  FAI amateurism is well known for a long time.

Again from a GAA point of view that's irrelevant.  The GAA made it amply clear in their first statement on this matter.  They stated they were fully supportive of this charity venture but the issue lay within their rulebook.   So they defined the issue as being wholly about the GAA, not about FAI, not about Liam Miller's wealth and not about the worthiness of this charity venture versus others.  Agenda firmly set by GAA that this is a GAA-only matter.

/Jim.

Agreed. But you also have to agree that media spotlight illuminates everything and not just one issue. It's no concern for me a GAA person, but as an ordinary person, I think it's fair question.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 01:56:28 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:38:38 PM

I'd have no problems with that.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

I can only see win win for the GAA.

I think where it can be done, yes.  Of course the problem lies in expecting a government department to continue their joined up thinking beyond a white-paper.

I don't think for example that IRFU/FAI should have been let off the hook so easy when Aviva plans were amended.  However given the GAA rules at the time (not withstanding the one-off opening of Croker) they were not in a position of strength.

I think the GAA rules held them back when pushing for Tallaght to be a municipal stadium.  Hard to argue for access when you could not offer a quid pro-quo. Boy did the SRFC crew latch on to it.  If the rules were amended that crowd of hooligans could have been shown up for what they were.

As I said earlier in this thread I strongly believe that Limerick should have both a 50K and 15K stadium shared between GAA and IRFU.  I think it would have been better for both IRFU and GAA.  It would also have been better use of tax-payers money.

So I believe you amend the rules and play a straight card in dealing with the consequences.

/Jim.

We're in agreement then Jim.

As for Tallaght, I don't think the rules within the GAA were an issue back then as no matter what legal arguments Thomas Davis put forward they were always shot down.

South Dublin County Council wanted it as a soccer pitch and that was that.

In saying that I think Thomas Davis got very little support from DCB and Croke Park IIRC. May stand corrected but has been a while.

Keyser soze

If all the people who are getting hot and bothered about this sent in £50 to the fund instead of griping on Social Media platforms there would be a fortune raised for the family and the charity. The Duffer could easily afford a cool million I would say. 

Syf and Baile Brigin can show the way as they are really exercised about this.