No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

smelmoth

Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2018, 07:37:15 AM
How do Soccer people look at the stadium issue across the country. Are they embarrassed that they haven't got one decent stadium in Munster?

The GAA should open it up. And I am confident that they will get there eventually. Some people should let it go and stop using it as a stick to beat them with.

I have no interest in FAI and I've watched or been to an LOI game in my life but I would imagine that the soccer fraternity are not the least bit worried or embarrassed by stadia provision in Munster. Clearly they wouldn't build a stadium for a one of game and I assume they already have the stadia to meet their everyday need (possibly not).

Direct comparison is not easy. After all what would GAA stadia provision be if there a mass participation game played in front of no fans, a highly paid professional game with all the Irish lads playing in it across the water along with stars from the global game and a local game hosting games at the same time?

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2018, 07:37:15 AM
How do Soccer people look at the stadium issue across the country. Are they embarrassed that they haven't got one decent stadium in Munster?

The GAA should open it up. And I am confident that they will get there eventually. Some people should let it go and stop using it as a stick to beat them with.

The FAI have Aviva and it's all they need.

7,000 is perfect size for Cork as you get full stadiums and a cracking atmosphere for home games. What's the point of building a 25,000 or 30,000 seater stadium that will only be full once every couple of years if they are lucky. GAA got totally carried away in the celtic tiger years (not only ones in fairness) building all these big stadiums that are only used a couple of times a year and never full to capacity.  At this stage everyone knows how soulless and devoid of atmosphere it is watching games in Croke Park with crowds of 20,000/25,000 people.  How many games did the Gaelic Grounds get this summer and when was the last time it was full to capacity for example. Cork co. board even pulled a few strings to force wexford v clare to play in PuC in the qtr final and that ground wont be used again by Cork teams until next March!!

sid waddell

Every unit of the GAA should be allowed rent out their facilities to others (or offer use with no charge if they feel it appropriate) as and when they like.

27 years after the RDS fiasco and 20 years after the Omagh charity game fiasco, it's amazing that such an ostrich attitude still exists.

spuds

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:38:12 AM
Tell me about the GAA games in Tallaght Stadium.
Tell me Shamrocks haven't got a sweetheart deal.

Cuman na mbun Scoil regularly played there.

Google is your friend.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/finals-day-success-in-dublin-feile-na-ngael

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.
Is this the municipal facility that is too small for a 15 a side football or hurling game to be played on? Is that inclusive or exclusive I wonder.

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:39:45 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on July 25, 2018, 01:11:17 AM
Once again I will say it, money should not be raised on the back of ordinary supporters, Liam Millers sport is a multi billion euro business, he has played for 2 of the richest soccer clubs in the world, surely it is his sports responsibility to fund whatever needs funding, a mere drop in the ocean to them.
The gaa have put proper facilities in every county in Ireland, the best a multi billion euro business can do is a 7000 thousand seater cabbage patch in our second city, and the public expect the gaa to fill the breech when Turners cross is not adequate.
Antrim? Where the GAA  recently got the IRFU to 'fill the breech (sic) 'to raise money for Anto Finnegan?
If Turners Cross is a 'cabbage patch', what is Casement, in our actual second city?

No they didn't.

trailer

Sorry one thing I am not sure on. Is this to raise money for Liam Miller's family? Or is this game for charity? Can someone clear that up?
I am not being awkward, I genuinely want to know and can't find any information. Some papers are calling it a testimonial, is that right or wrong? 

Jinxy

I realise it isn't relevant to this specific issue, but outside of the Aviva, is soccer ever played in any of the 'rugby' grounds, i.e. RDS, Donnybrook, Sportsgrounds etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sid waddell

Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 09:51:51 AM
I realise it isn't relevant to this specific issue, but outside of the Aviva, is soccer ever played in any of the 'rugby' grounds, i.e. RDS, Donnybrook, Sportsgrounds etc.
The IRFU doesn't own the RDS. Shamrock Rovers famously played there for six years in the post-Milltown period and the venue has hosted numerous Ireland internationals and FAI Cup finals.

Limerick FC played a couple of seasons in Thomond Park and Ireland played a friendly there in 2009.

Cork City played Bayern Munich at Musgrave Park in 1991.

Galway United played a Cup Winners' Cup tie at the Sportsground in 1985. The Sportsground was also formerly a major venue for GAA in Galway.

seafoid

I don't think Melbourne or Sydney are relevant to the GAA. Sport in Ireland has been politicised for over 100 years and relations between the GAA and soccer/rugby have always had a bit of needle even after Croke Park was open to soccer and rugby. You can see it now on twitter.

Irish soccer has always had a parasitical side. Feeding off England. Never developing its infrastructure.  Also very short sighted. Selling Glenmalure park.
And extremely complacent.
It's always soccer asking.

The 3 organisations are like siblings.The GAA is the oldest and has always paid his way. The IRFU married a foreigner and has concussion . The FAI is the youngest, was always spoilt, and never paid for anything. She thinks the GAA should provide for her.

larryin89

Haha that's brilliant seafoid, I'm using that if you don't mind.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: spuds on July 25, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:38:12 AM
Tell me about the GAA games in Tallaght Stadium.
Tell me Shamrocks haven't got a sweetheart deal.

Cuman na mbun Scoil regularly played there.

Google is your friend.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/finals-day-success-in-dublin-feile-na-ngael

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.
Is this the municipal facility that is too small for a 15 a side football or hurling game to be played on? Is that inclusive or exclusive I wonder.
Yes and No
No danger of Dublin hurlers being able to play a League match there.

PS Brilliant Seafóidín  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

It won't make any difference to the outcome but I think we could have done without Damien Duff's comments yesterday.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2018, 10:40:04 AM
I don't think Melbourne or Sydney are relevant to the GAA. Sport in Ireland has been politicised for over 100 years and relations between the GAA and soccer/rugby have always had a bit of needle even after Croke Park was open to soccer and rugby. You can see it now on twitter.

Irish soccer has always had a parasitical side. Feeding off England. Never developing its infrastructure.  Also very short sighted. Selling Glenmalure park.
And extremely complacent.
It's always soccer asking.

The 3 organisations are like siblings.The GAA is the oldest and has always paid his way. The IRFU married a foreigner and has concussion . The FAI is the youngest, was always spoilt, and never paid for anything. She thinks the GAA should provide for her.
It's a lot easier to "pay your way" when you've never had to pay your players.

Association football in 26 county Ireland has never developed a strong domestic game because i) it had and has English football on its doorstep and ii) the whole official culture of the Irish Free State was against it, including the GAA's ban. Before 1922, the game was controlled from Belfast.

The League of Ireland is like a corner shop trying to survive with a Tesco superstore 50 yards down the road from it.

If anything, English football has acted as a parasite on Irish football, taking all its best players and the vast majority of Irish public interest in the game.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2018, 09:51:16 AM
Sorry one thing I am not sure on. Is this to raise money for Liam Miller's family? Or is this game for charity? Can someone clear that up?
I am not being awkward, I genuinely want to know and can't find any information. Some papers are calling it a testimonial, is that right or wrong?
Both. The hospice and the family