Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2021, 06:32:24 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2021, 05:44:35 PM
Quote from: five points on February 24, 2021, 04:25:21 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2021, 04:01:37 PM
Shows the difference some really poor Politicing makes, the Economic self harm argument remains exactly the same.

Has the EU's vaccination nightmare not punctured a large hole in that argument?

The EU is expected to have caught up or overtaken the Uk by September/ October. Also the EU will have generally used the Pfizer vaccine which seems to be more effective than the Oxford one particularly against the variants. Because of that the EU could be in a better position by the autumn.
Caught up by September/October? The UK target is to have completed first jabs in all adults by the end of July with various vaccines, even taking into account the WHO endorsed strategy of 12 week between jabs for the Oxford - that's full completion of the adult population by the end of September.

All adults with one dose by the end of July. With a 12 week gap that means all adults by the end of October. I've read a number of reports which have said the EU will have caught up by then. The south plan to do 250k a week soon.

bennydorano

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2021, 06:38:46 PM
Shows the difference some really poor Politicing makes, the Economic self harm argument remains exactly the same.

The EU is expected to have caught up or overtaken the Uk by September/ October. Also the EU will have generally used the Pfizer vaccine which seems to be more effective than the Oxford one particularly against the variants. Because of that the EU could be in a better position by the autumn.
Caught up by September/October? The UK target is to have completed first jabs in all adults by the end of July with various vaccines, even taking into account the WHO endorsed strategy of 12 week between jabs for the Oxford - that's full completion of the adult population by the end of September.

All adults with one dose by the end of July. With a 12 week gap that means all adults by the end of October. I've read a number of reports which have said the EU will have caught up by then. The south plan to do 250k a week soon.

The UK gambled early with vaccine purchases and in addition to existing supplies & suppliers has more Vaccines coming on board from Novavax, Moderna, Johnson, & Johnson and Valneva, why do you think the EU will accelerate & the UK can't or won't??

The 12 week gap is a red herring as well, 76% effectiveness after 1 jab, showing no signs of degredation in the 12 week gap is statistically excellent for any vaccine - https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n326

As i posted another thread - the Oxford vaccine is becoming a casualty of Brexit, being consistently briefed against because it's  the Tans.

And unless I'm reading the wrong newspapers, on a different Twitter - the EU & ROI's Vaccine programmes are being slated left, right & centre, some posters here seem to know different or need to read outside their comfort bubbles.

lenny

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2021, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2021, 06:38:46 PM

The UK gambled early with vaccine purchases and in addition to existing supplies & suppliers has more Vaccines coming on board from Novavax, Moderna, Johnson, & Johnson and Valneva, why do you think the EU will accelerate & the UK can't or won't??

The 12 week gap is a red herring as well, 76% effectiveness after 1 jab, showing no signs of degredation in the 12 week gap is statistically excellent for any vaccine - https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n326

As i posted another thread - the Oxford vaccine is becoming a casualty of Brexit, being consistently briefed against because it's  the Tans.

And unless I'm reading the wrong newspapers, on a different Twitter - the EU & ROI's Vaccine programmes are being slated left, right & centre, some posters here seem to know different or need to read outside their comfort bubbles.

You could be right, we'll know better in a few months. I'll be happy taking any of the vaccines as they're all effective but I've read that the Pfizer and moderna give better protection against the South African variant.

armaghniac

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2021, 08:38:54 PM
You could be right, we'll know better in a few months. I'll be happy taking any of the vaccines as they're all effective but I've read that the Pfizer and moderna give better protection against the South African variant.

It is notable that the J&J vaccine to be approved in the US this week is almost equally effective against the South African and Brazilian variants, whereas the Novavax and Astrazeneca vaccines were not. The RNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) seem pretty good all around, the tests in Israel with the public showed Pfizer well over 90% effective, basically validating the earlier trials. People said vaccines might never work, but they do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

I see where "Invest NI" is promoting the benefits of the Protocol in trying to attract investment to the 6.
I believe the Minister in charge is one Diane Dodds of DUPUDA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2021, 11:15:31 AM
I see where "Invest NI" is promoting the benefits of the Protocol in trying to attract investment to the 6.
I believe the Minister in charge is one Diane Dodds of DUPUDA.

And rightly so.

Bet Diane plays the "didn't know" card much favoured by Micheal Martin..

NA sheep farmers and meat processors should be pushing lamb into the EU now that the Scots and Welsh can't.

five points

Quote from: clonadmad on February 24, 2021, 05:47:30 PM
Ni Fully vaccinated 31,000

Republic Fully vaccinated 113,291

I know maths don't tend to be a strong point of Unionism or suit the narrative the likes of Paisley are peddling

But it looks like NI is lagging behind in the number of Fully vaccinated in comparison to the Republic

Let's see which of NI or the Republic opens up first.

Rossfan

Stays open would be a better yardstick ;)

five points

seafoid

Brexit is about deregulation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/02/reform-listings-rules-turbocharge-city-says-lord-hill/

Calling for a wide-ranging overhaul of regulations which would slash red tape and allow company founders to retain more power, Jonathan Hill said that the country cannot simply wait for the European Union to grant it access.

He also recommended reducing the free float requirement so that a minimum of 15pc of shares must be in public hands, instead of the current 25pc requirement, with added flexibility for very large companies.

The review also calls for the UK to tear up the EU's prospectus regulation on the information companies must disclose when floating their shares or issuing new capital. Lord Hill said the rules have "led to a ballooning in [prospectuses'] size and a reduction in their usefulness".

It recommends allowing companies with a premium listing, eligible for inclusion in the FTSE 100 index, to adopt dual class structures under which founders' shares carry up to 20 times the voting power of ordinary shares
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Seems the Brits are unilaterally extending the "grace" period for agri foods coming from England/Scotland/Wales to the end of November ....
Trying to weasel out of the whole Agreement?

bennydorano

The Frost Factor, think it's officially his 3rd day in post. He'll burn bridges left, right and centre, resign further down the line and leave someone else to clear up his mess.

weareros

EU may well respond by saying if UK is not going to respect single market by checking non-standard goods entering via North, they will have to block those goods from North entering EU. That would seriously hurt fishermen and farmers for starters. Might get very messy and hurt a lot of businesses. As usual Unionists will accept no responsibility for mess that ensues.

Godsown

So Loyalist Paramilitaries have withdrawn support for GFA until NI Protocol is scrapped. This will all play well for Unionism and UK Govt in short term as they can blame EU.
Think it's called Project Fear

seafoid

Quote from: Godsown on March 04, 2021, 06:59:05 AM
So Loyalist Paramilitaries have withdrawn support for GFA until NI Protocol is scrapped. This will all play well for Unionism and UK Govt in short term as they can blame EU.
Think it's called Project Fear

It does not matter what 1st battalion Tigers Bay Red Hand Defenders want

NI is no longer under exclusive British Control.
The Brits signed an international agreement when it signed the protocol.

If the Brits renege on it they can forget about a trade deal with the US.
The Euros will no doubt tell.them that there is a very simple solution. Sign.up to the EU's sanitary and phytosanitary standards. Tigers Bay could have its sausages.

The whole thing is a joke.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU