Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2023, 09:37:38 AM
Was that 45/20 thing not the original proposal?
Near impossible for the ref to have a good view of both lines when the kick and catch takes place. Asking for a lot of wrong calls. Time to remove the forward mark and a good few other rules that only add confusion 5o the game with little benefit

johnnycool

I see some counties have gotten themselves in a bit of bother in deciding the rankings when 3 teams are on equal points in a round robin based championship;

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/football/appeal-against-meath-s-score-difference-rule-faces-fresh-scrutiny/ar-AA1ghZRb?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=e625fc709b2f4f3fa8dea3e06a3148ac&ei=10

Appeal against Meath's score difference rule faces fresh scrutiny

The application of which score difference mechanism should be used to determine which team finishes higher when three or more are tied on the same points in a championship or league division group faces fresh scrutiny in two provinces.

Meath County Board is taking a case to the Central Appeals Committee challenging a Leinster Council decision to order a refixture after Na Fianna challenged the mechanism Meath used to determine the second-placed team in their four-team SFC group.

The group was won by Dunshaughlin on six points with three other teams tied on two points, but Donaghmore-Ashbourne were declared second on the basis of score difference superiority that included games involving all four teams in the group. That was consistent with what was in Meath's bye-laws.

But Leinster hearings found "ambiguity" in the application and recommended that Donaghmore-Ashbourne and Na Fianna should play off to see who advances to quarter-finals or drops into a relegation play-off.

Na Fianna argued that the rule passed at Congress in February, put forward by Tipperary club Burgess, should apply instead whereby score difference calculated from the games between the tied teams only should apply which put them ahead of Donaghmore-Ashbourne.

This conflict is also at the centre of Sixmilebridge's case with a Munster hearings committee, after their exit from the Clare SHC.

As a matter of interest what do the various other counties do in this regard?

Cavan19

Quote from: johnnycool on September 06, 2023, 07:56:48 AM
I see some counties have gotten themselves in a bit of bother in deciding the rankings when 3 teams are on equal points in a round robin based championship;

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/football/appeal-against-meath-s-score-difference-rule-faces-fresh-scrutiny/ar-AA1ghZRb?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=e625fc709b2f4f3fa8dea3e06a3148ac&ei=10

Appeal against Meath's score difference rule faces fresh scrutiny

The application of which score difference mechanism should be used to determine which team finishes higher when three or more are tied on the same points in a championship or league division group faces fresh scrutiny in two provinces.

Meath County Board is taking a case to the Central Appeals Committee challenging a Leinster Council decision to order a refixture after Na Fianna challenged the mechanism Meath used to determine the second-placed team in their four-team SFC group.

The group was won by Dunshaughlin on six points with three other teams tied on two points, but Donaghmore-Ashbourne were declared second on the basis of score difference superiority that included games involving all four teams in the group. That was consistent with what was in Meath's bye-laws.

But Leinster hearings found "ambiguity" in the application and recommended that Donaghmore-Ashbourne and Na Fianna should play off to see who advances to quarter-finals or drops into a relegation play-off.

Na Fianna argued that the rule passed at Congress in February, put forward by Tipperary club Burgess, should apply instead whereby score difference calculated from the games between the tied teams only should apply which put them ahead of Donaghmore-Ashbourne.

This conflict is also at the centre of Sixmilebridge's case with a Munster hearings committee, after their exit from the Clare SHC.

As a matter of interest what do the various other counties do in this regard?

Cavan Junior Champiosnhip is some mess they are not using scoring difference and 4 teams are tied in 6th, 7th 8th and 9th.

They put all the teams in a hat and the first two out are playing off for 6th place. The other two play off for 7th place.

The two defetated teams are then playing off for 8th with and the loser out of the championship.

The prize for the teams finishing 7th and 8th is to play Arva and Knockbride who are two Division 1 teams which is another conversation  ::)

Both these teams finished joint top and they tossed a coin to see who would take spot 1 and 2.

So in short positions were sorted by coin toss and by drawing names out  of a hat !! 

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2023, 07:07:33 PM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-begin-consultation-with-leading-figures-to-explore-football-trends/a2052142375.html

Wouldn't trust some of those mentioned to come up with sensible solutions.

The poor Freshers in College this season are being subjected to the stupid rules where all kickouts have to clear the 45 and no sidelines can go backwards etc. Will make a right horlix of a lot of games.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

The PRO

Anyone able to answer this one?

Guy gets a straight red in a county final in a lower grade - intermediate for example.

Does he serve the one match suspension in this year's provincial championship (a different competition?) or the first round of next year's senior championship?

smort

Quote from: The PRO on October 19, 2023, 11:51:41 AMAnyone able to answer this one?

Guy gets a straight red in a county final in a lower grade - intermediate for example.

Does he serve the one match suspension in this year's provincial championship (a different competition?) or the first round of next year's senior championship?

Have direct experience of this, although there wasn't a provisional competition to follow

One of our players got a red card at the end of a championship match. The next championship match, the next season, was at a different grade, and he was able to play.

So unless it carries over into the provincials, which at a guess I don't think does, then the player would be available for the next championship match.

Probably a hole that needs closed as no suspension served

Lucifer

Quote from: The PRO on October 19, 2023, 11:51:41 AMAnyone able to answer this one?

This goes all the way back to Mark Vaughan getting sent off in a Leinster semi final in 2006 maybe (which was lost) and then playing for Kilmacud the following year v Brigids in opening round of Dublin Championship (I believe they appealed that it was a different competition and thus he was allowed to play.)  I tried to google there but given there was so much back and forth it's hard to find the chronology of events (Brigids appealed successfully initially I think.)  The rational outcome would be that they are all regarded as the same competition (or a continuation of the same, as such.)  However I can't be 100% sure.  I'd definitely side with the player being suspended for the provincial game, they're bound to have cleared that up, surely, maybe, possibly.

twohands!!!

Quote from: smort on October 19, 2023, 12:03:58 PM

Have direct experience of this, although there wasn't a provisional competition to follow

One of our players got a red card at the end of a championship match. The next championship match, the next season, was at a different grade, and he was able to play.

So unless it carries over into the provincials, which at a guess I don't think does, then the player would be available for the next championship match.

Probably a hole that needs closed as no suspension served

Was this recently ?
Reason I ask is I have a notion that the rules in relation to this were tightened up/changed a few years back.
Not 100% though - it might only have been a proposal/discussion about changing this.

trailer

The fact we don't know for sure and the fact that it maybe doesn't, perfectly encapsulates all that is wrong with the GAAs disciplinary system.

clarshack

The Stewartstown players who received straight reds in the All-Ireland Final v Fossa were able to play in the Tyrone Intermediate 1st Round. Same applied to Paudie Clifford who played in Fossa's 1st game in the Kerry Intermediate Championship. I believe those suspensions don't apply until the All-Ireland series which might be a problem for Fossa should they make it that far.

Delgany 2nds

The red card applies to the provincial championship as it is deemed an extension of the competition. So player is free to play the next year.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on October 19, 2023, 04:51:58 PMThe Stewartstown players who received straight reds in the All-Ireland Final v Fossa were able to play in the Tyrone Intermediate 1st Round. Same applied to Paudie Clifford who played in Fossa's 1st game in the Kerry Intermediate Championship. I believe those suspensions don't apply until the All-Ireland series which might be a problem for Fossa should they make it that far.
What stage are Fossa at in Kerry? If they win Kerry they'll likely get through Munster. Would be some achievement to win Kerry intermediate after winning a junior last year

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 19, 2023, 06:54:02 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 19, 2023, 04:51:58 PMThe Stewartstown players who received straight reds in the All-Ireland Final v Fossa were able to play in the Tyrone Intermediate 1st Round. Same applied to Paudie Clifford who played in Fossa's 1st game in the Kerry Intermediate Championship. I believe those suspensions don't apply until the All-Ireland series which might be a problem for Fossa should they make it that far.
What stage are Fossa at in Kerry? If they win Kerry they'll likely get through Munster. Would be some achievement to win Kerry intermediate after winning a junior last year

They're in the Final against Milltown/Castlemaine. Winners would be favourites for Munster alright.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on October 19, 2023, 07:28:59 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 19, 2023, 06:54:02 PM

They're in the Final against Milltown/Castlemaine. Winners would be favourites for Munster alright.
Assume Fossa are fairly down the divisions in the league in Kerry if it's played without the county boys? Serious going to make an intermediate final.