Mayo Club Season Review 2008

Started by AbbeySider, December 10, 2008, 06:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

This topic is to discuss reflections on Mayo club football this year.
If there is any stories or opinions on the season post away.

Club of the Year

It has to be Ballaghadreen for me. They had one of the hardest roots to the final and played some of the best football in the championship. Although I was disappointed with their Connaught club championship performance.

Club Manager of the year

It has to be Frank Kelly again fro finally bringing the title back to Ballaghaderreen although my gut feeling is that they will struggle next year.

Club Player of the Year

Barry Regan was head an shoulders above anyone this year. He clocked up huge scores and always looked like the danger man for Ballagh upfront.

Young club player of the year

Jason Gibbons from Ballintubber had some unreal displays this year. At 19 he is a good prospect for the future. Aidan O Shea deserves an honorable mention ans he was the main guy this year for Breaffy U21's at 18 years of age, with 3 years of U21 football left.

Best up and coming side

Feel free to add to the list....

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 10, 2008, 06:54:14 PM
Although I was disappointed with their Connaught Final performance.
Ahem.

RedandGreenSniper

I was away all year so I'll put that caveat in at the very start and everyone I'm posting is based on match reports, conversations etc.

Club of the Year
I think Ballaghaderreen stuttered somewhat, a middling group stage, nearly lost at the quarter-final stage and appeared to just hit timely, if fortunate, goals to see off Crossmolina. They definitely have loads of talent but I think they've played better the two years before. Not that they'll be too bothered. I'd have to give the title to Claremorris considering their unbelieavable change in fortunes. when they announced their plans to win the all-ireland club title within five years people laughed at them but they were the real surprise team this year.
Last year they were brought to a replay against Tourmakeady, with the winners to go to intermediate. They were hanging on in that game but won the replay. Then they were drawn in the group of death but topped it by beatin Castlebar and Burrishoole and drawing with Ballina. They beat Knockmore comfortably enough in the quarters only to lose to Charlestown in the semi-final. They're run really was tremendous when you consider they never got out of the groups since they were introduced in 2004 (thanks to OMS for that stat!)

Club Manager of the year
On the GAA discussion board some make the point about it impossible to give Tyrone team of the year and Cody manager of the year and vice-versa. I don't agree. Ballagh's biggest problem this year was a mental one. They know they've the ability but when the chips were down could they do it? They ground out results without being at their best and I think Frank Kelly has to take a bow for installing that resolute nature in them.

Club Player of the Year
Barry Regan, easily by all accounts

Young club player of the year
The most positive aspect of the season from a county point of view is the amount of young lads who sprung to attention. Kevin McLoughlin flagged attention here before but he underlined it oncemore. Sean Prendergast and Alan Freeman showed that the Minor team of 2007 could be a lot better than their defeat to Roscommon showed. Brian Gallagher stood up as well while minors like Aidan O'Shea, Robbie Hennelly, Cathal Freeman brought that form into their club games. Jason Gibbons was outstanding though according to my Tubber sources - I'd give him the nod.

Best up and coming side
A battle between Breaffy, who won Division 1 of the League - their first ever senior title, and Ballintubber, with their U-21 success and impressive debut year. Claremorris could easily win this too, but I've mentioned them above. I'll plead the fifth  ;)

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Ah shure why bother, it's been a very poor year all round

;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 11, 2008, 01:11:27 AM
Best up and coming side
A battle between Breaffy, who won Division 1 of the League - their first ever senior title, and Ballintubber, with their U-21 success and impressive debut year. Claremorris could easily win this too, but I've mentioned them above. I'll plead the fifth  ;)

A battle indeed RedandGreenSniper, would love to have seen us get a crack at Breaffy this year.
;D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 11, 2008, 11:55:01 AM

A battle indeed RedandGreenSniper, would love to have seen us get a crack at Breaffy this year.
;D

Good things come to those who wait ;) The Kelly Cup won't be long coming around sure  :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 11, 2008, 01:04:46 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on December 11, 2008, 11:55:01 AM

;D

Good things come to those who wait ;) The Kelly Cup won't be long coming around sure  :D

Oh yeah, Kelly Cup is the one to win next year!  :D 

AbbeySider

Here is one for the pundits:

Club score of the year
Andy Morans goal in the 1st Intermediate final against Ballintubber.
3-4 minutes into injury time. Ballagh looked dead and buried.
A swerving ball heading to the FF line is finger-tipped by the Ballintubber defender and the ball goes over the top straight to Moran who stuck it.
Sickening blow, turning point of the Ballaghadreen season.

My real score of the season (based on skill alone) was in this years minor game between Ballinrobe and Westport in the county semi final.
There was a gale force northern wind blowing straight up the pitch.
Sean Burke from Ballinrobe took a free about 50 yards out into the wind, on the left hand side of the field.
He actually aimed very high and for the corner flag. Somehow the ball bent/swerved at least 30 yards right and dropped, still spinning, just over the bar.
I never saw anything like it in my life. The ball travelled all the way left to the corner flag, and travelled up along the endline. Total banana split shot.
The Westport freetaker tried something simular earlier in the match against the wind but Sean Burke perfected it. Genius. 

Honourable mention for Damien McGings point in the Ballaghadreen game from out near the corner flag (on the right), kind of with his back turned to the posts. Unreal.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on December 11, 2008, 02:17:13 AM
Ah shure why bother, it's been a very poor year all round

;)

Totally agree with ya Stephenite. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.