Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

I think he's better than any natural midfielder we have in the squad at present though not sure that's the biggest compliment in the world to be honest. Perhaps captaining an O'Neill cup winning team would give him the confidence to push on (and dare I say maybe a change of management).

bigpackiechestout

He is worth a place on the panel, and he would be on it if he hadn't left at the end of the 2018 season. But I don't buy the idea that he's a guaranteed starter if he came back. In any case, he won't be back for this year so we should forget about him. In my opinion, when fit, Brian Kennedy should start every game at the middle of the field for us and I can't understand why he didn't at least come off the bench at the weekend

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on October 21, 2020, 07:37:49 PM
He is worth a place on the panel, and he would be on it if he hadn't left at the end of the 2018 season. But I don't buy the idea that he's a guaranteed starter if he came back. In any case, he won't be back for this year so we should forget about him. In my opinion, when fit, Brian Kennedy should start every game at the middle of the field for us and I can't understand why he didn't at least come off the bench at the weekend

Kennedy and Harte were replaced on the matchday 26 by Mulgrew and Kilpatrick before throw in so presumably injured.

Kilpatrick should have started if available though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Goals_Will_Come

When the discussion comes up around players being potentially called up to the squad, personally look at whether that player is better than what is currently there or offers something different.

The reality is Donaghy is the only Dungannon player who would offer something better or different to what is there.
McNulty had a strong year for Dungannon but don't see him as an improvement upon Donnelly, Kilpatrick or Kennedy. Have seen players leave and come back much improved, so maybe there is hope if he wants to come back but don't think he's the answer some here seem to think he is. Would rather Harte actually played Kilpatrick etc.

tyroneman

I honestly don't think we have any MF,  right now, who are at the standard of the options in Dublin, Donegal, Mayo or Kerry.

That being said it's near impossible to develop into a good intercounty player unless you have some consistency in terms of playing, tactics and surrounding cast.

Harte needs to decide who his main MF 2 are (preferably ones who play club MF) and stick with them for a period.

Angelo

Quote from: tyroneman on October 23, 2020, 01:20:23 PM
I honestly don't think we have any MF,  right now, who are at the standard of the options in Dublin, Donegal, Mayo or Kerry.

That being said it's near impossible to develop into a good intercounty player unless you have some consistency in terms of playing, tactics and surrounding cast.

Harte needs to decide who his main MF 2 are (preferably ones who play club MF) and stick with them for a period.

Kilpatrick and Kennedy are inexperienced and unproven but both deserve extended runs to prove themselves.

R Donnelly is probably our most established option there, is he a natural midfielder though? Out of our current options I'd have him starting though but he seems pretty injury prone and lacks a bit of mobility.

After that I'd have McClure, has had some decent cameos but a bit like R Donnelly, is he a natural midfielder or a half forward, he also lacks a bit of presence midfielders from other counties have.

The likes of McKenna, Donnelly and Hampsey are not midfielders and are needed elsewhere.

Kennedy and R Donnelly weren't involved last week, Kennedy was named on the bench but withdrawn before throw in.

If both are out I'd go with McClure and Kilpatrick for Sunday, I think it will makes the other lines of our team stronger and won't sufficiently weaken the midfield.

We'll probably see Hampsey and Ben McDonnell there though.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Angelo on October 23, 2020, 01:54:13 PM

Kilpatrick and Kennedy are inexperienced and unproven but both deserve extended runs to prove themselves.

R Donnelly is probably our most established option there, is he a natural midfielder though? Out of our current options I'd have him starting though but he seems pretty injury prone and lacks a bit of mobility.

After that I'd have McClure, has had some decent cameos but a bit like R Donnelly, is he a natural midfielder or a half forward, he also lacks a bit of presence midfielders from other counties have.

The likes of McKenna, Donnelly and Hampsey are not midfielders and are needed elsewhere.

Kennedy and R Donnelly weren't involved last week, Kennedy was named on the bench but withdrawn before throw in.

If both are out I'd go with McClure and Kilpatrick for Sunday, I think it will makes the other lines of our team stronger and won't sufficiently weaken the midfield.

Now Cavanagh is gone Brian Kennedy is the only natutal midfielder we have who could match the physicality of the likes of Murphy, Hugh McFadden, Fenton, David Moran, or the Mayo lads like the O'Se's and Ruane. Kilpatrick and McClure simply don't have the size so if they were if to play I think we need to pair them with Kennedy. I'm no fan of McDonnell but he does put himself about and do the dog work that I dont think McClure and Kilpatrick do. This is why I think he gets game time (any Errigal bias notwithstanding).

As I've said on here before this lack of physicality at midfield is a bit of a common theme with Tyrone teams. I thought the u20s had the same problem last week compared to the Dubs although Oguz would have been a big loss for them

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on October 23, 2020, 06:55:06 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 23, 2020, 01:54:13 PM

Now Cavanagh is gone Brian Kennedy is the only natutal midfielder we have who could match the physicality of the likes of Murphy, Hugh McFadden, Fenton, David Moran, or the Mayo lads like the O'Se's and Ruane. Kilpatrick and McClure simply don't have the size so if they were if to play I think we need to pair them with Kennedy. I'm no fan of McDonnell but he does put himself about and do the dog work that I dont think McClure and Kilpatrick do. This is why I think he gets game time (any Errigal bias notwithstanding).

As I've said on here before this lack of physicality at midfield is a bit of a common theme with Tyrone teams. I thought the u20s had the same problem last week compared to the Dubs although Oguz would have been a big loss for them

Young McGleenan looks a big prospect but it would be another 4 years or so before he's ready for senior football.

McNulty has the physical size which is why I'd have him in there. Kilpatrick isn't a 6ft5 giant but he is a natural midfielder and he has great athleticism. McClure and R Donnelly probably to need to be paired with Kennedy. McDonnell does dog work but I don't think dogwork will cut it. McClure is actually deceptively good in the air and probably the best fielder out of the whole lot.

omagh_gael

Teamtalk reporting that someone on the panel tested positive for Covid. Anyone hear anything more?

Jim Bob

It's true...don't want to give a name obviously

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 24, 2020, 05:40:37 PM
Teamtalk reporting that someone on the panel tested positive for Covid. Anyone hear anything more?

Sent you a PM

Tyrone Gaa

See the named Tyrone team. Darragh Canavan named at corner back. Even Mickey Harte can't turn this fella into a defender lol.

No place for McKenna after last week's performance and this is basically a championship match. that would make you speculate he is the corona case. Hope I'm wrong and it's purely speculation.
Living the dream!!!

GlenMan

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on October 25, 2020, 11:33:35 AM
See the named Tyrone team. Darragh Canavan named at corner back. Even Mickey Harte can't turn this fella into a defender lol.

No place for McKenna after last week's performance and this is basically a championship match. that would make you speculate he is the corona case. Hope I'm wrong and it's purely speculation.

No place for who? McKenna is in the team.

square_ball

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on October 25, 2020, 11:33:35 AM

Mickey is just trolling STG naming canavan at corner back.

And Conor McKenna is at 11. He isnt the covid case from what I heard. Fairly obvious from that team who it is.

Angelo

Brennan gone for the rest of the year so with a 12 week ban?