Would you manage versus your own

Started by Truth hurts, November 08, 2022, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

Does this have a bit of the overhyped henry shefflin brian cody nonesense the media were talking about in the summer.

charlieTully

Man sits down with club officials before starting. Man agrees to come on board with one stipulation.. he won't manage against his home club... the situation comes to pass... Man keeps his word. The Internet goes bananas.

seafoid

Quote from: charlieTully on November 11, 2022, 12:20:59 PM
Man sits down with club officials before starting. Man agrees to come on board with one stipulation.. he won't manage against his home club... the situation comes to pass... Man keeps his word. The Internet goes bananas.
Man makes entirely rational decision. Internet explodes

imtommygunn

Exactly. Overhyped nonsense. Right decision.

seafoid

Is there any example anywhere of a manager who did manage against his kids and exploded with joy when they lost ? There seems to be a protocol  that everyone follows.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: charlieTully on November 11, 2022, 12:20:59 PM

Too sensible. Please delete

shark

Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2022, 02:49:35 PM
Is there any example anywhere of a manager who did manage against his kids and exploded with joy when they lost ? There seems to be a protocol  that everyone follows.

I once played in a club championship semi final while marking my manager's son. Mind you, he also had two sons playing with us. There was also another pair of brothers playing against each other that day. No parish rule ; play wherever you like, great fun.

Itchy

I'd be ok managing a club against my own home club. I don't think I'd be ok if my son's were playing on the other team though.

seafoid

In that interview Johnston says that when he started Burren and Bryansford were the kings of Down football. Club is funny. Hegemony is temporary.
We lost an all Ireland final to Midleton in 1988. It was a sad drive home. But I was looking at the roll of honour the other day. Midleton only won the one. We have 3.

Wildweasel74

We played a championship game where brothers in opposite teams kicked the crap out of each other, with their father managing our team. Brian McIvor when over Donegal, used his son lack of height playing half bck for Derry for Durcan to kick every kick out  to Rory Kavanagh, when Derry played Donegal bck in 2008.His lad got roasted, and off the county team from it the following year.

whitey

I know of three adjoining clubs-all the players would have gone to secondary school together

Brothers playing on opposite teams

First cousins playing on opposite teams

Uncles coaching against nephews

Retired players sons playing for opposition

Fathers coaching against daughters boyfriends

It's like the Hatfields and McCoys

blanketattack

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 10, 2022, 01:29:28 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on November 10, 2022, 01:05:46 PM
I know a couple of Gaelic football development coaches who work in a different county than their own.
Anytime their adopted county plays their home county in the minor championship, they ring the minor manager of their home county and give him a full run down of the strengths, weaknesses and tactics of the players and the team of their adopted team, even when he was a selector on the adopted county minor team.

Just shows blood is thicker than water and money!

lies

Don't be so naïve

Armagh18

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2022, 02:18:42 AM
I know of three adjoining clubs-all the players would have gone to secondary school together

Brothers playing on opposite teams

First cousins playing on opposite teams

Uncles coaching against nephews

Retired players sons playing for opposition

Fathers coaching against daughters boyfriends

It's like the Hatfields and McCoys
Depending what part of Ireland you're talking about you might only be describing 2 people there ;)

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 12, 2022, 12:59:07 AM
We played a championship game where brothers in opposite teams kicked the crap out of each other, with their father managing our team. Brian McIvor when over Donegal, used his son lack of height playing half bck for Derry for Durcan to kick every kick out  to Rory Kavanagh, when Derry played Donegal bck in 2008.His lad got roasted, and off the county team from it the following year.

Don't think I've ever come across a match in modern times with brothers plying against each other in club football. How does that even happen?

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2022, 11:27:03 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 12, 2022, 12:59:07 AM

Don't think I've ever come across a match in modern times with brothers plying against each other in club football. How does that even happen?

https://www.the42.ie/eoghan-tommy-oreilly-mayo-1150271-Oct2013/

Some parishes have 2 clubs