Would you manage versus your own

Started by Truth hurts, November 08, 2022, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Normally happens when a team has no underage fball and end up playing with another team, while there still be a local senior team, and don't come bck, younger brothers played with local underage team when started up again, then on to senior., as was the case at my club at the time.

nrico2006

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2022, 11:27:03 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 12, 2022, 12:59:07 AM
We played a championship game where brothers in opposite teams kicked the crap out of each other, with their father managing our team. Brian McIvor when over Donegal, used his son lack of height playing half bck for Derry for Durcan to kick every kick out  to Rory Kavanagh, when Derry played Donegal bck in 2008.His lad got roasted, and off the county team from it the following year.

Don't think I've ever come across a match in modern times with brothers plying against each other in club football. How does that even happen?

I played a few senior games against my brother too as I transferred away when I moved from Tyrone to Armagh. More motivated to win than normal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

whitey

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 12, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2022, 02:18:42 AM
I know of three adjoining clubs-all the players would have gone to secondary school together

Brothers playing on opposite teams

First cousins playing on opposite teams

Uncles coaching against nephews

Retired players sons playing for opposition

Fathers coaching against daughters boyfriends

It's like the Hatfields and McCoys
Depending what part of Ireland you're talking about you might only be describing 2 people there ;)

Haha-not too many branches on the family tree

galwayman

It's not an ideal position to be in for sure. It's made doubly difficult as he has sons playing.
My own opinion though is - if you take on the job of managing a team then you should do that job even if it means coming up against your own club.
That would be the right thing to do.
I'd imagine there has to be a loss of trust and buy in by players if their manager steps aside in that manner. I think I'd be pissed off personally as a player.

Milltown Row2

O'Rourke had no issues today managing against his own club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

If people cant see the difference by now theres no point trying to explain any further...

rodney trotter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2022, 05:47:07 PM
O'Rourke had no issues today managing against his own club

Not really the same. He's from Derrylin in Fermangh and moves to Tyrone when he got married