Started by Denn Forever, July 15, 2013, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: thebigfella on September 15, 2016, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 15, 2016, 11:44:37 AM
Quote from: doodaa on September 15, 2016, 10:15:18 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on September 15, 2016, 08:34:46 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37369705

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/09/15/sir-bradley-wiggins-and-chris-froome-given-drugs-exemption-new-d/

Salbutamol for Wiggo, Prednisolone for Froome

Salbutamol is what's in my preventative inhaler.

Yes, it's remarkable how many elite athletes in endurance sports are asthmatic, isn't it?

Not really, I suffer from exercise induced asthma and it's quite common. I only developed it or only came to light in my early 20's when I started a lot more endurance training or exercise. Froome and Wiggins is no secret to be fair.

So do I and it was at its worse in my early teens. It was only when I got myself properly fit in my early 20's that the effects of it wore off to the extent I was able to stop using my inhaler for the better part of 10 years.

try the buteyko breathing method. it helps!!

outinfront

I have on several occasions after very intense maximum effort training/fitness tests experienced "temporary" exercise induced asthma.  It is uncomfortable but fades after a day.  I have no doubt that elite athletes may experience this often.  Studies on the use of these asthma drugs have shown that they have no impact on improving performance.  In fact if you are not asthmatic and using them then it could leave you open to side effects such as dizziness and nausea which would in fact be performance hindering.  Don't get me wrong many of these guys are on everything going, but just suggesting/debating that the asthma medication may not be performance enhancing.

Edit: It may help with being able to maintain an intense training load though as it would obviously help relieve the symptoms of asthma after intense bouts of effort.

johnneycool

Quote from: outinfront on September 15, 2016, 02:04:24 PM
I have on several occasions after very intense maximum effort training/fitness tests experienced "temporary" exercise induced asthma.  It is uncomfortable but fades after a day.  I have no doubt that elite athletes may experience this often.  Studies on the use of these asthma drugs have shown that they have no impact on improving performance.  In fact if you are not asthmatic and using them then it could leave you open to side effects such as dizziness and nausea which would in fact be performance hindering.  Don't get me wrong many of these guys are on everything going, but just suggesting/debating that the asthma medication may not be performance enhancing.

Edit: It may help with being able to maintain an intense training load though as it would obviously help relieve the symptoms of asthma after intense bouts of effort.

Dr Neil Francis of the University Hospital of bullshittery would disagree with you there!

outinfront

I'm no professor just saying what I've read. 

outinfront

Then again don't trust everything you read as they say haha

muppet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/09/15/sir-bradley-wiggins-and-chris-froome-given-drugs-exemption-new-d/

Yes, it's remarkable how many elite athletes in endurance sports are asthmatic, isn't it?

Not really, I suffer from exercise induced asthma and it's quite common. I only developed it or only came to light in my early 20's when I started a lot more endurance training or exercise. Froome and Wiggins is no secret to be fair.

I suffer from exercise induced being bollixed. I believe it is vey common. I wish we all could take some steroids to help with my being bollixed after exercise. Then maybe I could exercise some more straight away.
MWWSI 2017

outinfront

doodaa

Quote from: muppet on September 15, 2016, 03:10:26 PM

I suffer from exercise induced being bollixed. I believe it is vey common. I wish we all could take some steroids to help with my being bollixed after exercise. Then maybe I could exercise some more straight away.

Whilst you might be bollixed after training it isn't for the same reasons outinfront or I would be bollixed (not entirely anyway). Your airways remain fully open at all time during exercise, outinfront and mine constrict slightly thus reducing how quickly we can get the air in (in extreme case ie an asthma attack the airways close fully). The use of inhalers just brings us back up to a starting point that you would always be at.

In saying all this ^^^^^ I don't actually take my inhalers as I should. I am supposed to take them everyday as per the doctors instructions, however I am not that bad that I think I need them day to day. But I wonder how performance hindered ive been over the 20 odd years due to not taking them?
Reality is laziness probably hindered me a lot more lol

Esmarelda

Quote from: stew on September 15, 2016, 01:30:16 PM
There have long been rumours of drug use in tennis, Nadal is said to be on the juice as has the Williams sisters, they are rampant everywhere because the money is so big and if you are not juicing it is nearly impossible to compete with the top men, especially in cycling.

It is time to let them take whatever they want to even the playing field, I am at the point were I trust no top sportsman or woman, that's ok because they don't give a shite about my or anyone else's opinions, right up until the point they get caught.

One last thing, I hope the Russians get hacked as well, Putin is bitch slapping Obama around the place and I would love to see him get slapped around for a while, a deplorable b**tard is Vlad!
Why do you think that?

Boycey

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 15, 2016, 03:55:29 PM
Quote from: stew on September 15, 2016, 01:30:16 PM
There have long been rumours of drug use in tennis, Nadal is said to be on the juice as has the Williams sisters, they are rampant everywhere because the money is so big and if you are not juicing it is nearly impossible to compete with the top men, especially in cycling.

It is time to let them take whatever they want to even the playing field, I am at the point were I trust no top sportsman or woman, that's ok because they don't give a shite about my or anyone else's opinions, right up until the point they get caught.

One last thing, I hope the Russians get hacked as well, Putin is bitch slapping Obama around the place and I would love to see him get slapped around for a while, a deplorable b**tard is Vlad!
Why do you think that?

In fairness that seems to be stews default opinion of most people...

macdanger2

Just finished reading The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton, good book

thebigfella

Quote from: gallsman on September 15, 2016, 01:04:38 PM

I hear lots of elite athletes only begin training in their 20s.

As I say it only came to light in "my" early 20's ::)

gallsman

Yes, I get what you meant. What I'm saying is I think it's daft that someone like Mo Farah, who was/is meant to be an elite athlete, can be diagnosed/re-diagnosed at age 27 as requiring new medication to treat his asthma.

haranguerer