Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 24, 2022, 08:43:14 PM
Anyone else at the hurling?

It was an easy enough victory in the end though down will rue a lot of wides too. We definitely have a few things to tighten up on but all in all a fairly clinical performance and McManus getting game time a big plus. With Molloy to come back there'll be a bit of competition for places.

Down despite being beaten still had maybe one of the best performers in diathi sands.

Stand outs for me - cunning and Elliot in forwards. Maskey caused problems with direct running which I didn't realise was part of his game and the half back line very steady. There is a lot of pace in our forward line. I think McNaughton and McManus need a lot more match sharpness but it will come. Nugent I thought was a bit lost in half forwards but when at FF caused havoc.

Down lack pace in the defence (as well as a bit of a physical presence) and even though Ballycran is a tight pitch Antrim cut them open at will, the gap in standard was evident but DaĆ­thi showed up well and has maybe overtaken the older brother in terms of scoring threat, Eoghan is no slouch either in that regard but was quiet enough.
A few passengers in the Down forwards doesn't help and is well known within the camp, carrying a free taker just isn't enough at this level.

Avoiding relegation is Downs aim and with Kerry beating Carlow, Down still need a point or two from somewhere with the away game in Carlow in three weeks time the most likely place.

Wasn't all bad yesterday, our makeshift team picked up 2 precious points from the Rossa, not able to play 6 county U20's and then three seniors kills small clubs like ours.

imtommygunn

JC I think your biggest thing is you're very wasteful. If you can address that then that would be a big plus. You had free run on your own puckouts but under no pressure you gave a lot of that possession away. (Although in defense of that there was a very blustery wind but still). There was a point in time when you were 9 Down and if you'd taken your chances there'd have been about 3 in it.

It is hard to know where other teams lie. Carlow tanked Meath, got beat by Kerry who got beat by Down, Meath ran Offaly, reasonably, close etc. Seems a lottery in some of those games.

Saffrongael

Minors getting trounced by Offaly
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Phew! Probably lucky enough to win that game.

Carlovia

Thought we had you beat with ten to go today.
We needed to bounce back after last weeks horror show and
at least we put in a good performance.
Good luck in the rest of it.

imtommygunn

Cheers exactly what I thought too.

It was a bit like a game we had years ago - I thought the ref did us no favours for a good bit of the game then when it really counted he did us a few favours.

Your physicality is something we struggle with.

Carlovia

The last ten minutes we couldn't get a break.  Every free and sideline given against us.
But that's the way it goes.  Your midfield in the first half was very good running at out
defence but thought we got to grips with it in the second.
We are in a bit of a rebuilding phase so the performance will give us hope.

imtommygunn

Yeah I recognise a lot less names now.  I thought we had a handle on the game in the first half then gave away the goal and a point needlessly and let you back int it then for a good bit of second half tbh you were the better team. Finishing 15 was better than our starting 15 which helped but definitely it was a tight game that could have went either way.

Saffsof82

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 30, 2022, 01:20:20 PM
Minors getting trounced by Offaly

Our u20s and minors compete very well in Tier3 and B competitions but are miles behind the Tier1/A teams, been the same for years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2022, 08:34:25 PM
Yeah I recognise a lot less names now.  I thought we had a handle on the game in the first half then gave away the goal and a point needlessly and let you back int it then for a good bit of second half tbh you were the better team. Finishing 15 was better than our starting 15 which helped but definitely it was a tight game that could have went either way.

Carlow needed to put in a performance and they did... we won and hopefully moving towards a day out at Croker..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think if we beat Meath we are there. We could do with improving from that performance but have a few injuries there too so we should improve.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Antrim on May 04, 2022, 04:22:53 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me. Long story short there was an unofficial referee refereeing a game that my son was involved in. He got sent off. I'm being told that he intends on reporting this sending off as well as another incident. Can he do that even though he isnt an official referee?

No

johnnycool

Quote from: Antrim on May 04, 2022, 04:26:52 PM
Another ref told me that he could.  That's why I was clarifying. Thanks

Did he deserve to get sent off?
;)

delgany

Quote from: Antrim on May 04, 2022, 04:48:53 PM
So-called ref accused him of using foul and abusive language towards him. I was there. I didn't hear it.

Did no official ref turn up ?
Was the stand in  a qualified ref ?
Did the teams toss for the role ?
If there was no coin toss, it wouldnt stand .
The ' unofficial ' ref can only report the score .

NAG1

Quote from: Antrim on May 04, 2022, 04:48:53 PM
So-called ref accused him of using foul and abusive language towards him. I was there. I didn't hear it.

Instead of looking for someone to blame, why not be an adult about it and believe the other adult. He was there and volunteered his time so the match could go ahead.

Pretty sure no adult is going to send a kid off that did absolutely nothing.

Same attitude to everything it seems at the moment, 'my wee johnny wouldn't do that' kids are kids and they make mistakes but if they never have any consequences then are they ever going to learn.