Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjoe

Cant think of anyone Syd who is expecting we would win Sam any time soon, even with those players back. But without them we dont have a strong enough panel to challenge for anything other than, dare I say the words, TMC.

And without those players would that even be a safe bet?

Maybe its the Monday blues, but that was a sickener yesterday, and there is no point dressing it up as anything else!

milltown row

When will we wake up and realise that we are the worst football team in Ireland, and we are throwing money at it. Lets bring back the fun factor, let the players play with their clubs and select a panel based on the best players. Season starts in three weeks

Moral in the camp must be at an all time low. I'd say Cargin or Naomh Gall or Lamhs would beat the current county team

Maximus Marillius

Who was it, was saying they expect to beat Derry in the championship :D :D...cant wait for it... :D :D

realredhandfan

hgow did you fare against the best team in tyrone yesterday max

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on March 12, 2007, 03:50:50 PM
Lets bring back the fun factor, let the players play with their clubs and select a panel based on the best players. Season starts in three weeks

Tried that with admin on the antrim website amongst other suggestion. admin thanked me for my suggestions and then proceeded to rubbish every one of them. They seem to know best
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Yeah that admin sometimes seems like an arrogant gob****e- wonder who he is.

Milltown or skull I'm not sure about your attitude though. We just got to the AI minor quarter finals, have had some hugely impressive performers in the sigerson(yes some are in the antrim squad), had a team in the AI club final last year etc. etc. We are by no means utilising our resources to the best of our ability and that needs to be looked at but the standard of football in this county is considerably better than 30th, 31st or 32nd in the country. Granted the league campaign thus far has been duff but we'll get better. Like someone says we'll not win Sam but things can only get better.

I could see your point in the hurling with go back to clubs bu not the football.

I still reckon we'll give Derry a rattle. Just because Derry beat a shadow Armagh team yesterday and a flu ridden antrim sauqd got beat by wexford doesn't mean anything.

Maximus Marillius

Carrickmore called the game off...

doesnt mean anything :D :D :D..delusional :D :D

Glensman

Away back to the Derry site Max, or give odds on you beating us by less than ten - I'll take them.

Agree with the calls to get the players back/on board. Do it now...Jody has been right to stick to his guns but here and now you get the best panel together. With Sigerson/McKenna cup out of the way it should be full steam ahead to the championship and the thrashing we are going to receive by Derry...the odds max?

eg I have no clue for example what has been said between McGourty and Jody but (and it pains me to say this) we need him on board.
The best players should be playing for the county, because they want to. I have no doubt that when the first round of the championship is on the horizon the same boys will want to be playing.
If I could I would.

milltown row

Kevin wont be playing for Antrim this year he's heading off to the states this summer with his kid brother, that's for sure, he probably wont play for the club either so stop the nonsense.
For years Antrim people thought that we were a good football team, it was in 82 that we got past the first round then it took 25 years I think to get past the first round again when we beat Down. Every year people come on and say we are going to give it a rattle, it's not going to happen.

I witnessed last year the commitment it took to get to the All Ireland final (club) last year. It was serious training plus the lads were on diets to beef up and the fitness levels were kept up every day, the players had daily training plans plus rest days and all there needs were catered for (cost the club a fortune) but they almost got the reward. Big sacrifices were made from the management, players and committee.

Can the Antrim squad put their hands up and say that they are that committed? I doubt it, when they want to compete at the top go and ask the ex management of Naomh Gall on what it takes to get there. Until then get used to playing in the TMC

johnjoe

Two Mc Gourtys for the States, and God knows who else. If I was Jody I`d be getting the list sorted out now, who is going, and who isnt?

Milltown, no doubt St Galls emptied the tank to win the AI club last year, and were by far the better team, but a few experienced scoretakers froze on the day. Question is, how big is the desire to get back to that stage, now that you know the work involved (and the burnout).

Whitey used the B c`ship as a stepping stone to better things, and realistically I believe that unless Antrim are at full strength, and a bit more experienced, then anything else is beyond them IN THE SHORT TERM. If Jody could win the TMC, I`d be happy enough, with something to build on for next season. Thats not to say we couldnt have a lash at "inconsistent" Derry. But at the minute the odds are stacked in their favour, and only a fool would dispute that!

Maximus Marillius

QuoteThats not to say we couldnt have a lash at "inconsistent" Derry. But at the minute the odds are stacked in their favour, and only a fool would dispute that!

JohnJoe are you trying to suggest your not a fool :D ;)

johnjoe

Away wi ye Max, I wouldnt be one for gettin into a slanging match.

Anyway, how are the famous Tones shaping up. Hows pre-season going, any recent challenges, and are you really sure Cass hasnt brought the footballs out yet? Have ye a game at the weekend Max, and how do you expect it to go?

hightower

johnjoe by the sounds of it u should've been senior manager,u would'nt be long sorting it out ,i think ur right max  (FOOL)

SlimShady

any games at the weekend lads? we beat a very young Whitehill team in the O'Cahan Cup on Friday night under their lights.

i hear Rasharkin lost to St Johns in the Reserve Final also (last years!!)

johnjoe

Hightower, whats your problem? Surely you can come up with some logical viewpoint that pinpoints something you disagree with. But to come on and make such a statement without backing it up, just shows you up to have nothing to offer the thread.

Maybe you should think about just staying on the Hogan Stand board, or alternatively surprise us all with something worthwhile.