Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shady character

Now boys, take it easy.

Good to see Geard O'Boyle at long last join the county squad. We badly need another scoring forward.

On a negative note, many folk around Cargin reckon that when he was playing he was too individual, with everything going through him. He also had a tendency to take the option of going for a score every time, even when it was totally the wrong option.You may argue if he's scoring 8 or 9 points a game then who cares.

But the problem to me seemed not to b GOB but rather that Cargins game plan meant little or no responsibility on other other forwards, with the rersult that gerd was the only one scoring.

This isn't going to be a factor at county level, so I reckon he will do well.

SlimShady

oh jesus christ, its Creggans version of Jeremy Kyle on to sort out everyone elses problems!! you seem to think you know a lot about what goes on around our club, when really you dont. i think your qualm with GOB & Cargin stems from the fact that Creggan got rid of him-possibly their best ever talent along with Bateson.

Hopefully he does well at the County but its more important to me that he does well with us than with Antrim, club before county-every time.

shady character

My qualm with GOB?! What the f**k are you talking about?
"Good to see Geard O'Boyle at long last join the county squad. We badly need another scoring forward."

Oh here we go...its the old cargin cave-man mentality....you'd b the first p***k into to Croke Park if Antrim got to an All-Ireland QF/SF.

By the way...did u get "wee closey" a valentines card.....or are you gona GIVE HIM ONE at the week-end?!  :D  :D

SlimShady

Quote from: shady character on February 15, 2007, 10:23:41 AM
Now boys, take it easy.

Good to see Geard O'Boyle at long last join the county squad. We badly need another scoring forward.

On a negative note, many folk around Cargin reckon that when he was playing he was too individual, with everything going through him. He also had a tendency to take the option of going for a score every time, even when it was totally the wrong option.You may argue if he's scoring 8 or 9 points a game then who cares.

But the problem to me seemed not to b GOB but rather that Cargins game plan meant little or no responsibility on other other forwards, with the rersult that gerd was the only one scoring.

This isn't going to be a factor at county level, so I reckon he will do well.

i think this is self explanatory.

as for Antrim, of course I support them-why wouldnt I? Its my County as much as anyones. I just stated that i would put my club before my county any day of the week.

maybe you're in a bad mood cos that squad of 10 players Creggan sent up to the County has been correctly chopped down to one  :D ;D

shady character

Yes Slim and then I went onto say:

"But the problem to me seemed not to b GOB but rather that Cargins game plan meant little or no responsibility on other other forwards, with the rersult that gerd was the only one scoring."

Not at all. I said at the time that we had only a couple of players county standard, and one of them isn't even on the panel.

johnjoe

To make any sort of breakthrough, Antrim need ALL their top players out there doing the business at training and on match day. Great that Gerard O`Boyle has thrown his name into the hat. The county is a completely different set up to club football, and some thrive, and others struggle. Lets hope Gerard has the capacity to cope with it. Hopefully it will bring out the best in him.

I still have a problem that to be a real threat, we need all our top players out, and for me there are still to many better types not yet in. Who knows, maybe Jody has drawn a line, and they might not be "allowed" in at this stage. I`m talking Convery, Kelly, Mc Gourty after Sigerson, and Michael Herron who will now be in the shape of his life after a big Sigerson campaign with UUJ, where he has played every match this year. And of course my old friend Michael Magill, who on his day I rate maybe the best of them all.

There are 6 players that would make an enormous difference, and just think of the competition for places then.

There is serious talent in Antrim, and a better type of young player coming through than ever before. But we need to get them all out. Finally, todays launch of new county sponsor, led by Dick Mc Keague, is another massive breakthrough. Well done to CLUB AONTROMA and all concerned.

SlimShady

who? Dougan?

dont blow him up too much cos he reads this!!!  ;)

agreed re: McGourty & Herron.

Believe me, Magill is NOT your friend- the last time i spoke to him he wanted to rip off yer head and shit down yer throat! and he knows who you are, allegedly  :P

shady character

Yes it was dougan i was talking about. But the same boy needs to get his act together.
The fella has the potential, but the wrong attitude when it comes to training/lifestyle etc.

Is that you slim or is it Shinny?  ;D
Doubt magill wud have it in him to rip JJ's head off....He doesnt like the nitty gritty...
Thats supposed to be reason gormely axed him

johnjoe

Slim, if Magill has a problem with my comments that he is hugely talented, but needs a better work ethic, then there is nothing i can do to change that. Please refer to my comment that he is potentially the best of the lot.

I honestly didnt know that he had been dropped, but had noticed he was not on any recent teams or panels. I was wondering if he was hurt or something. As you seem to know all about him, maybe you will let us all know if/why he is no longer involved.

Was it a lazy attitude to training? And if so, is this MY fault.

amninc

Magill was called on to the hurling set up and was quite right to leave - look at the results and team.  as he is a hurler and shady character saying he has not the balls - this coming from yourself a mouthing nobody - go do some work.  The two Dougans are well capable of being there and mark has been showing well for kickhams at the minute weither jody is calling back up i am unsure.  Chinese whispers is a very dangerous thing fellows.

GreenDay

any chance of talking about something worth reading??

Syd The Sailor

Lads i think this debate on Magill has maybe run its course. Allow me to be so bold and have the final say, when he was up with the hurlers a couple of years back his attendance at training was abysmal and when there were friendlies/training on a Sat/Sun morning lets just say he didnt always arrive with the clearest of heads to perform.....He was close to getting canned on a fair few occasions
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Gold

See the Rossa beat Glenavy 0-15--0-5 in the div2/3 playoffs--terrible waste of a year for Glenavy and Rossa get off the hook yet again
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Glensman

ST BRIGIDS

Is it true that there is talk of ST BRIGIDS setting up a hurling team?

Cheers

SlimShady

i see theres a Creggan gael in the Daily Mirror today!

Shady Character, have you seen it? meetin President Mary too, impressive!