2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Who's going on like Dublin? I haven't seen anyone bigging us up. Lots of people pleasantly surprised to have achieved safety already, that's it. It's Division 2. Why shouldn't a team like Cavan be capable of winning a few games and why should it reflect so badly on the rest when they do? Smurfy less of the arrogance.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on March 05, 2018, 07:32:18 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 05, 2018, 04:45:27 PM
Down to beat Cavan by 3
Roscommon to roll over Clare with minimal fuss.
Tipp will struggle but beat Louth.
Meath and Cork to draw.

Tipp 1/12 to beat Louth. Id be very surprised if they don't win by 10 points or more. Id be disappointed if we don't get over Down. Mcveety is the key, he is in fantastic form and has really developed his decision making. With the 2 weeks without a game I'd expect gearoid and Mackey to start this game. Also Mcglennan has mentioned a number of times he is very keen to turn breffni into a fortress again. That means 4/4 wins and I think the players are motivated well to that end. Now if we can win the last 2 games are very tough. I could see us beat Down and lose the next 2 matches.

It's hard to know with Down, I just think they're always dangerous especially against a team like Cavan that they have a superior record over in recent times.
I'm not sure if I'd start both Mackey and Gearoid, I think I would just start Gearoid, let him drive at Down early. Bring Mackey on for the last 20 minutes regardless of the scenario, he's equally useful in chasing a game or holding onto a lead.

Yeah I'd imagine Down will put some effort into bottling up McVeety. He's been fantastic so far this year. He's really improved as an athlete and it's our best option for breaking down defences. But we've a lot of lads in good form, Clerkin, Caoimhin, Martin Reilly, all will take watching.

We have a good chance of getting promoted but I think we have the toughest run in of the bunch. If we weren't promoted I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Maroon Manc

Have the best players in Cavan committed to the panel this year or have some dropped out?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 07, 2018, 05:25:42 PM
Have the best players in Cavan committed to the panel this year or have some dropped out?

That's a good question. We have had retirements/injuries and we're definitely missing players that would improve us, no doubt. But these lads simply cannot commit rather than dropping out in protest as all the rumors of turmoil were implying at start of year. After that we're missing a good few with playing experience from last year but last year we weren't exactly a settled team. We were stronger IMO in 2016. We had a few decent results in league last year but we experimented a lot and were flat come championship with no player laying down a real marker for the key positions that we had trouble with. The new additions have done well this term and we look much more mobile and dangerous and settled albeit in a lower division. So jury is still out. Bigger tests await and expectation might be starting to build so we'll see how they react. It won't be a disaster if we don't get promoted although I would love to get back to Division 1. But I really hope to see us do something different in Championship this year. We've been average at best the last few years.

Westside

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 07, 2018, 05:25:42 PM

If Cavan had every single player in the county willing to commit, I would see maybe 3 or 4 changes max to our starting 15. Our bench would be much stronger.
That said, the lads like David Phillips and Oisin Kiernan that are in their first year have been excellent so far. And the young lads on the bench like David Brady and Thomas Galligan are decent prospects.

There's a bit more than the natural cycle of time drop off, but we have the 10 or so best players in the county fit or nearly fit and committed. If we don't progress this year the defections from the squad won't be any excuse.

Itchy

Gerry Smith was a real disappointing non committed for me, he's potential to be every bit as good as mcveety. Rory Dunne, Givney, Keating another few who played year before last. Buchanan was playing midfield last year and Michael argue another along with retirement Thomas corr. Jack Brady non commital in forwards. Prob missed a good few too. No sign of Johnson yet but giving we are going well in forwards maybe it would be a good time for him to retire too.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on March 07, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
Gerry Smith was a real disappointing non committed for me, he's potential to be every bit as good as mcveety. Rory Dunne, Givney, Keating another few who played year before last. Buchanan was playing midfield last year and Michael argue another along with retirement Thomas corr. Jack Brady non commital in forwards. Prob missed a good few too. No sign of Johnson yet but giving we are going well in forwards maybe it would be a good time for him to retire too.

Joe Dillon another lad with ability and experience who would have big claims for a start. There's lots of lads not on panel with potential and some experience but who have never fully proved themselves or gotten a prolonged run. Maybe this is why so many people were flipping out at start of year because of non availables. But like has been said already, we're really only about 4 short who you could say should definitely be starting. Having said all that we have a very unproven bench if injuries start to pile up.

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 07, 2018, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 07, 2018, 07:10:43 PM

Joe Dillon another lad with ability and experience who would have big claims for a start. There's lots of lads not on panel with potential and some experience but who have never fully proved themselves or gotten a prolonged run. Maybe this is why so many people were flipping out at start of year because of non availables. But like has been said already, we're really only about 4 short who you could say should definitely be starting. Having said all that we have a very unproven bench if injuries start to pile up.

This is exactly it, our strength in depth has been shaken dramatically and that's being covered by the fact that we currently don't have a big injury list.
In 2016 in the League when we got promoted to Division 1 we brought on Jack Brady and Keating who got a couple of points each in the last 2 games when things were tight. Now we're bringing on young lads to see what they can do. That's why I think Johnston will have a part to play this year yet...

With the commitment required nowadays I think it's normal for lads to drop off unless your team is in with a realistic shot of a provincial title at least. Lads like Joe Dillon and Michael Argue couldn't break into the team and after being the main men underage and at club level all their lives it naturally compounds that problem and they decide the effort isn't worth the return.

Who'll pick up Harrison on Saturday night? Faulker I'd imagine?

Itchy

Has to be Faulkner on Harrison

mrdeeds

Blowitupref

Roscommon team to play Clare.

James Featherston; Sean McDermott, John McManus, Peter Domican; Ronan Daly, David Murray, Niall Daly; Tadgh O'Rourke, Cathal Compton; Ciarain Murtagh, Niall Kilroy, Conor Devaney; Donie Smith, Ciaran Lennon, Diarmuid Murtagh

O Rourke,Compton,Donie Smith given starts. Conor Daly,Cathal Cregg and Enda Smith drop to the bench.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Enda Smith is some sub to have..

Orchard park

Presume would be started if fit,

Hard to understanding Conor Daly not starting

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on March 08, 2018, 11:13:49 PM
Presume would be started if fit,

Hard to understanding Conor Daly not starting

I can see a case for Enda starting on the bench if he wants to see how TOR and Comp look, but given both won't have 70+ minutes in them we'll see Enda sooner or later. McStay is giving Lennon an extended run at FF (and ultimately that's good for the player and team), but if this was a championship match Enda would be starting at FF over him, at worst.

Given Conor was the universal man of the match against Louth, unless he's picked up a knock, I don't see where him dropping to the bench is coming from. Even if not at midfield he could play any position from 5-12.

Rossfan

Enda and Conor have been dropped because Syfīn hasn't got a pet name for them.
Instead we get "Comp" and "TOR" .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM