2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2018, 06:50:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 27, 2018, 06:45:20 PM
Lack of experience in that Cork defence couldn't handle Quinlivan,Sweeney and McGrath at all.

What was their excuse for the poor defence the last five years then, Cap?
1-9 is all a more experienced Cork defence conceded against Tipperary in June. Tipperary could have scored 5-20 tonight.

Rossfan

Division 2 us the place for entertainment  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2018, 07:52:54 PM
Division 2 us the place for entertainment  ;D

I miss it already, can't wait for 2019.

AZOffaly

Brilliant start for Tipp. Great to see Steven O Brien back in harness again, even if he looked out on his feet after 10 minutes! Liam McGrath looked knackey and all in all a big important win.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Cork looked like a much improved outfit for much of the game but will need to find someone capable of marking the likes of Quinlivan and I believe Kerry may have a young lad coming through with a similar skillset who they may see plenty of in the future.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2018, 06:57:22 PM
Quote from: Westside on January 27, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
Cavan did not lose 10 of our best. Our top 7 or 8 players are still all there. There is an issue with the lads dropping off but let's not make it out to be something it's not.

Odd game in Ennis. Could have won it despite being second best for much of the game. We fielded a lot of lads that just aren't near Division 2 standard. Badly need Martin Reilly and Gearoid back. Our attack is completely rudderless when Mackey isn't on the field.

And as for the referee. One of the worst displays I have seen in a few years. Throwing the ball up because Galligan gave the ground a few tips to place the ball before taking a free was probably the highlight. Missed a punch to the face by the Clare number 9 that everyone in the ground saw. A performance so bad that it influenced the result of the game.

Agree with most of that. That referree was one of the worst I ever saw. He single handedly gave Clare 3 points from frees which were crazy. Our lads almost needed to be murdered to get a free. Allowing a Clare man take 10 steps for a shot at goal while earlier doing a cavan man for over carrying despite him not even having the ball in his hand was my highlight. A lot of passengers on that cavan team and Clare will be unhappy not to have taken all 2 points. Thought killian Clarke had a great game as did the holla. FF blunt as s butter knife.

Yeah the FF  line is unsurprisingly a problem. Caoimhin Reilly looks lively but keeps getting the ball with his back to goal out near the 45. Conor Madden won his ball well but had nothing to offer once he had it.

I thought David Brady did well. Looks to be very good in the air. Composed. Surprised he was taken off. And Thomas Galligan has something about him. His point was class but winning that throw up between the two Clare men much bigger than him was big.

tippabu

Since I started this thread I said theres no way cork should be favorites for div 2 with the players they are missing, also said 2/1 was a ridiculous price for tipp tonight. I was satisfied with the win tonight which says alot because for tipp to go to cork and win is rare enough but I fully expected it. Cork were actually better than I thought they would be and I was worried at half time but brilliant 2nd half performance and this year we have a bench that can make a difference. We still have massive scope for improvement, defensively were poor but our full forward line was outstanding. Was a big adjustment for liam mcgrath to come in last year hopefully now that hes more settled in at this level he can carry on tonights form. Quinlivan is a special player who can do everything, O'Brien should get better and better the more games he gets. I fully expected to win tonight, im hopefull next week against roscommon rather than thinking we will win, not getting carried away. If mcguire and powters injuries keep them out for a while cork will struggle big time, they will be a different animal come the summer. Great start to the league for us because it takes the pressure off, a loss tonight with roscommon coming next week we could have been under serious pressure

Gael85

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2018, 03:38:58 PM
A draw game, decent result for Cavan considering they were away and had weakened side out.

Clare didnt have full team either.Missing 4/5 key players which they cant afford to be without. 11 of starting team yesterday was u23.Lack of bench cost yesterday and this also cost them in big games last year.With players opting for hurling and some of the best club players not committing to county scene Colm Collins is doing a remarkable job against the odds.

Hardy

Drama at the Hyde. We seemed to have stolen it 2-12 to 1-12 with 1-5 without reply from four points down. Then a Roscommon penalty levelled it with the last kick of the game.

Syferus

Firstly - the equaliser-in-chief again saves our bacon. Storm Salthill in the 2016 Connacht final, last year against Mayo in the AIQF at the death and now this. Donie must have ice in his veins. Even with the ridiculously long delay he nailed the penalty. The lad's worth his weight in gold. Brilliant.

Up until 60 minutes it was going entirely to plan, bar Meath's early goal. Backs winning their battles, forwards always looking dangerous and midfield rooting out enough balls to keep the ship going forward.

The wind and the rain picked up around the time of Davy's black card and Kilroy's subbing out and all three contributed hugely to our complete lack of form when it came to winning any ball. Even balls we got a handle on spun away from us with the merest touch from a Meathman's hammy fist.

The nine point swing was incredible and I was sure we were goners but in fairness to the lads they kept fighting and dug a point out of this game, a point and the lack of Meath having a tie-breaker over us that may well be the difference between promotion and stagnation at the end of the league.

We need to turn in a 70 minute display next weekend and not a 60 minute one with a ten minute intermission before injury time like today.

What an exhilarating, beautiful mess football is. Supporting Roscommon is never boring anyways.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 06:39:01 PM
We wuz robbed.

Mickey Burke got fairly flame-grilled by Diarmuid Murtagh today.

Jinxy

Mickey wouldn't be used to that oul heavy ground.
He needs good to firm going.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

Allianz FL2   P   W   D   L   Dif   Pts
Down   1   1   0   0   +6   2
Tipp.       1   1   0   0   +6   2
Cavan   1   0   1   0   0   1
Clare   1   0   1   0   0   1
Meath   1   0   1   0   0   1
Ros.        1   0   1   0   0   1
Cork   1   0   0   1   -6   0
Louth   1   0   0   1   -6   0

Itchy

This could end up a very tight division. A big beating could feck up your scoring difference and cause trouble late on.