2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Does anybody recall whether any 2018 Joe McDonagh Cup matches were broadcast by TG4?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

ardtole

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: ardtole on April 16, 2019, 10:00:39 PM
They weren't
I figured as much. Thanks, Ardtole.

Well, one can only hope for some airtime in 2019.  :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

ardtole

Very tight competition last year and I'd guess it will be as competitive this year, definitely deserves much more coverage.

Don Draper

Quote from: ardtole on April 16, 2019, 10:53:24 PM
Very tight competition last year and I'd guess it will be as competitive this year, definitely deserves much more coverage.
Coverage? The f**kers only announced the fixtures yesterday. Not two fucks are given about this by the GAA

G@@

Was the final not televised last year? Or was it RTE Player only?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Don Draper

Quote from: G@@ on April 18, 2019, 01:43:18 PM
Wasn't it on the same day as the provincial hurling finals?

marty34

Quote from: Don Draper on April 18, 2019, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: G@@ on April 18, 2019, 01:43:18 PM
Wasn't it on the same day as the provincial hurling finals?

Yes. It was played just before the drawn Leinster Final between Galway and Kilkenny in Croke Park.  Early July I think.

Mossy Bruce

Any news from the last week or two on how things are shaping up for next Saturday's match?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Team announced and Roddy starts in the full forward line. Good team and hopefully off to a winning start.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Aaron Dunphy, Neil Foyle, Picky Maher and PJ Scully look the big omissions; not sure if they are available for Saturday but we've great forward options if they are on the bench.

Happy with the team in general. I would have concerns about one or two individuals but I think we'll score well in Tullamore. It's a 50-50 game down there and if we can handle their physicality, I hope our forwards can give us the edge.

I don't completely agree with starting Ross King but if the players in the panel were happy to have him back, it's probably the right call. I have such admiration for him for coming back after all he's been through. Exceptional commitment.

I also think it's worth mentioning the fact that Offaly will be a completely different animal now compared to when we met them in the league. Kevin Martin will know our hurlers and if we are anyway complacent, they'll do us. I do think we are slightly ahead of Offaly but any marginal advantage there is evened up by travelling to Tullamore, not a happy hunting-ground for Laois teams.

This is going to be a close one and Offaly arguably carry a better goal threat. My gut-feeling is that we might come through but I've a niggling doubt.

A win here and I'd fancy us to make a final. A loss and I'd be extremely worried about staying up.
It's going to be an incredibly tight championship and it's infuriating that the coverage and promotion will be so abysmal/non-extinct from the GAA and national media.

burdizzo

I think there was something about Dunphy having a shoulder injury and not being ready for this game. I'd certainly have had him on if he was fit.

seafoid

Quote from: merman on May 10, 2019, 10:19:47 AM
Aaron Dunphy, Neil Foyle, Picky Maher and PJ Scully look the big omissions; not sure if they are available for Saturday but we've great forward options if they are on the bench.

Happy with the team in general. I would have concerns about one or two individuals but I think we'll score well in Tullamore. It's a 50-50 game down there and if we can handle their physicality, I hope our forwards can give us the edge.

I don't completely agree with starting Ross King but if the players in the panel were happy to have him back, it's probably the right call. I have such admiration for him for coming back after all he's been through. Exceptional commitment.

I also think it's worth mentioning the fact that Offaly will be a completely different animal now compared to when we met them in the league. Kevin Martin will know our hurlers and if we are anyway complacent, they'll do us. I do think we are slightly ahead of Offaly but any marginal advantage there is evened up by travelling to Tullamore, not a happy hunting-ground for Laois teams.

This is going to be a close one and Offaly arguably carry a better goal threat. My gut-feeling is that we might come through but I've a niggling doubt.

A win here and I'd fancy us to make a final. A loss and I'd be extremely worried about staying up.
It's going to be an incredibly tight championship and it's infuriating that the coverage and promotion will be so abysmal/non-extinct from the GAA and national media.
I was looking at the Irish Times website and in the hurling section they have articles going back as far as March but nothing about the Joe McDonagh
I don't think they have the budgets for it any more because they have cut back in other areas as well eg Northern Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mossy Bruce

JAYZ, what a CRACKER of a match! god, I wish that was televised.
Years ago, there was a lad, back there, who would take video of Laois matches and sell them on DVD. Is he still around doing that?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on May 11, 2019, 09:01:50 PM
JAYZ, what a CRACKER of a match! god, I wish that was televised.
Years ago, there was a lad, back there, who would take video of Laois matches and sell them on DVD. Is he still around doing that?

I think it might be this lad... https://www.facebook.com/BrophyVideography/

What a result tonight, wasn't at the game owing to family commitments - but listening to it on MR103 for the second half!

WOW! Full value for the €10 entrance fee in Tullamore for those who went.

I'm delighted for the lads, a never say die attitude and fair play to Offaly too who showed the same never-say-die attitude.

What a showdown it would be if we got a repeat for the final!

A long road to go yet, but confidence must be brimming now going into the next three games. I see Antrim gave Kerry a bit of a hiding up in the glens too.

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!