Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Following a risk assessment in relation to all persons outside the field of play and their vehicles where ther may be a a risk of physical injury or damage to property it has been decided that he field will be entirely encapsulated in safety netting. Due to lack of funds and current expenditure the committee has decided that the use of footballs and sliothars is banned until further notice. ::) Was

trailer

f**king claim culture and spongers in this country would sicken ye.

Stevie Nicks

Question..
I have a 1.8 Galaxy 2008, there was some confusion over whether it had a wet timing belt or chain.
We replaced the timing belt and tensioner at 120k miles, there is a chain at the bottom of the engine do they give problems?? Would it need changed?
My mechanic says they are not worth changing in this age of car as they don't give any problems

toby47

Anyone know how you can get your driving license number if you have lost you license?

Ambrose

Quote from: toby47 on October 01, 2019, 04:55:00 PM
Anyone know how you can get your driving license number if you have lost you license?

You have a number of options.

A: Contact your local butcher.
B: Contact the barman.
C: Contact the DVLA.

For future reference it's always a good precaution to have a digital copy of all your documents stored safely.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Jim Bob

Alert popped up on my Honda CR-V yesterday. It says 'check system' with a symbol which when I looked it up online is to do with DPF. Something to do with a soot build up due to lack of long journeys with higher revs. On advice of my mechanic I took the car on a long drive down motorway hoping that the problem would clear but alas no.
Anyone familiar with this problem and how to go about sorting it?

Ambrose

Your mechanic should have done a forced regeneration of the DPF, his diagnostics should tell him the soot levels in the DPF. They can be cleaned, or they can be removed but you then have to fool the ECU and the MOT tester.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ambrose on November 06, 2019, 10:55:17 PM
Your mechanic should have done a forced regeneration of the DPF, his diagnostics should tell him the soot levels in the DPF. They can be cleaned, or they can be removed but you then have to fool the ECU and the MOT tester.

He told me if the journey didn't clear it he could clear the problem through the computer he had. It would take an hour or so so that's where I ll have to go.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 06, 2019, 09:59:23 PM
Alert popped up on my Honda CR-V yesterday. It says 'check system' with a symbol which when I looked it up online is to do with DPF. Something to do with a soot build up due to lack of long journeys with higher revs. On advice of my mechanic I took the car on a long drive down motorway hoping that the problem would clear but alas no.
Anyone familiar with this problem and how to go about sorting it?

You could try one of the DPF cleaning additives. Have used one before went for a longer spin and seemed to work. Although it may have  just worked without it as well. But for the price, worth trying.

lfdown2

Looking some advice.

I have a cracked alloy that I have had welded twice now and same issue again this morning. I would know the lad that welded it for me and would be confident in his ability, my question is; is there any other permanent fix that could be applied or is it scrap at this stage? Cheers.

Ambrose

Sounds like it's beyond repair.

ONeill

Limp mode. OK to drive away until it can be seen to?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 20, 2019, 04:44:48 PM
Limp mode. OK to drive away until it can be seen to?
My understanding is that's the purpose of "limp mode" i.e. shuts down non-essential services in the car to allow you to get to a garage.

general

Engine Management Light - will car go through MOT? Car had new alternator installed, light came back on yesterday - I'm sure it is related but scared to find out - will I get car through MOT with this light on? Obviously intend on getting car seen to but won't be before Thursday

Ambrose

EML is an MOT failure. Get it scanned before the test, it may be something simple or something that can be reset.