Started by Orior, October 03, 2017, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

St Johns ballaghdereen Co Roscommon 1989

oh forgot they werent allowed form and play in their native county

naka

Quote from: Orior on October 03, 2017, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on October 03, 2017, 09:07:17 PM
Was it not Shane O'Neills and Carrickcruppen?

Yes. My mistake. Over a security related issue?

when I was a kid Cruppen were the only senior team in the area, indeed 5 championship finals in a row 77-82
corrinshego set up by Gerry Oreilly and a few( he had been a full back on the cruppen team
poynpass then were set up( the Canavans who played with the county were from poyntspass

Shane O Neills were around in the 60s then were set up again in the 80s with regard to a fall out etc
geraldines were set up as cruppen were not allowed to put a second team in the league, it was blocked by cross ( who funnily enough have a second team now that St Johns who were set up in cross in the 80s disbanded)  It fell away when cruppen began struggling for numbers

all the clubs save for the pass are doing ok at senior,
its underage which will eventually catch up with them

Walter Cronc

Did Newbridge (Derry) split in two to form Newbridge and Ballymaguigan? Could be wrong but I heard that it was due to the outbreak of WW2 making it hard for players from the Ballymaguigan side to reach the pitch?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 04, 2017, 01:52:22 PM
Whats the name of those 2 clubs in Laois that split about 20 years ago? There's a thread on here somewhere about it, there's a lot of hatred from memory.
Arles/Killeen and Arles/Kilcruise.

We had a split in Owenmore Gaels in 1997 when Ballisodare reformed their club after about 30 years together, which lasted to 2010. They don't field any more and their lads play with us these days. St. Michael's split away from Shamrock Gaels in 1983, and Cloonacool from Tubbercurry in the late 70's.

Wildweasel74

Wildmill (Coagh county tryone) formed with Littlebridge (drummullan county derry)  to get Ogra Colncille but split off again mid 80's to form Windmill again for a short timek

LeoMc

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 04, 2017, 02:13:11 PM
Wildmill (Coagh county tryone) formed with Littlebridge (drummullan county derry)  to get Ogra Colncille but split off again mid 80's to form Windmill again for a short timek
Must be wile twisted around there.

The border I mean.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: LeoMc on October 04, 2017, 03:39:41 PM

The border I mean.

Windmill should be booming now with the amount of wind farms in Tyrone. They play in white, blustery days suit them.

BennyCake

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 04, 2017, 04:58:17 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 04, 2017, 03:39:41 PM

The border I mean.

Windmill should be booming now with the amount of wind farms in Tyrone. They play in white, blustery days suit them.

Maybe that's why Tyrone men are always falling down looking frees. They're used to being blown over by them windmills.

Wildweasel74

Ogra and Ballinderry be 2 parishs both in derry and tyrone

theskull1

Quote from: BennyCake on October 04, 2017, 05:00:56 PM
Maybe that's why Tyrone men are always falling down looking frees. They're used to being blown over by them windmills.

That's not how they work ... must try harder  ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 04, 2017, 02:03:27 PM
Did Newbridge (Derry) split in two to form Newbridge and Ballymaguigan? Could be wrong but I heard that it was due to the outbreak of WW2 making it hard for players from the Ballymaguigan side to reach the pitch?
Not 100% sure but had heard in the past something similar , with the airfield in ww2 causing logistical problems.

BennyCake

Quote from: theskull1 on October 04, 2017, 06:55:15 PM

Come on, play the game, skull ;)

theskull1

Quote from: BennyCake on October 04, 2017, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 04, 2017, 06:55:15 PM

Come on, play the game, skull ;)

You're asking me to cheat .... like a Tyrone man  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

oakleaflad

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 04, 2017, 05:52:10 PM
Ogra and Ballinderry be 2 parishs both in derry and tyrone
And not the only 2 in the county

J70

Bundoran and Aodh Rua were formed when St. Joseph's split in the late 70s  (Joseph's formed, in turn, from an amalgamation in the early 60s).

St Joseph's won an Ulster club back in the mid-70s and the first two "unofficial" ones in the late 60s. Not bad for 15 years or so of existence! Not sure if their dominance is why they split (7 Donegal senior championships in 11 years and 4 in a row before they split up again)

McEniff and Martin Carney would be their best known players.