Dublin v Cork 13 July 2019

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 13, 2019, 12:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Dublin scored 5-18 on a day when they supposedly didnt have a great performance

Who or when the hell has any team scored 5-18 in an All Ireland Quarter Final?!

Its crazy and the juggernaut seems almost impossible to stop

A team needs to get ahead of Dublin and stay ahead. They have to be mentally put under pressure to have any chance against them. The pace and fitness levels are unprecedented. Like there are players on EVERY line of the pitch driving and bursting past players, punching holes everywhere. How do you stop it?

Maybe Kerry or Donegal have the firepower to do it but it would take everything to go right and Dublin to be missfiring...hard to see at this stage! I was at the 2014 Semi where Donegal did it. Atmosphere was electric with the 2 Magees bullying O Gara and B Brogan and Ryan McHugh flying. The Dubs fans must miss an atmosphere like that, a contest. A contest is needed or else what is the point

Cork have improved bigtime. They didnt stop and i hope they give Tyrone a game....could be a cracker. Hurley is a beast. The Vikiing and Loughrey were impressive too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tonto1888

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2019, 01:17:28 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on July 14, 2019, 12:47:27 AM
Are the Dublin public getting tired of watching this team? Seems the crowds are way down, 40K at Leinster final, 30K at this game. 5 years ago every game they played was full house or close to it.

It's beginning to kill the argument that the neutral game needs to be in CP to cater for the crowd, Thurles would be able to take a Dub/Ross game and maybe not sell out.

Short answer is yes as the last Dublin V Cork championship game in Croke Park had attendance of over 70,000.

I didn't get to see the RTE after match analysis (Brolly on there made me switch off) but I hope they were not patronising to Cork for getting within 13 points of Dublin

Didn't watch it all but it was mentioned that it wasn't a 13 point game which I think is fair enough

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Gold on July 14, 2019, 08:05:46 AM
Dublin scored 5-18 on a day when they supposedly didnt have a great performance

Who or when the hell has any team scored 5-18 in an All Ireland Quarter Final?!

Its crazy and the juggernaut seems almost impossible to stop

A team needs to get ahead of Dublin and stay ahead. They have to be mentally put under pressure to have any chance against them. The pace and fitness levels are unprecedented. Like there are players on EVERY line of the pitch driving and bursting past players, punching holes everywhere. How do you stop it?

Maybe Kerry or Donegal have the firepower to do it but it would take everything to go right and Dublin to be missfiring...hard to see at this stage! I was at the 2014 Semi where Donegal did it. Atmosphere was electric with the 2 Magees bullying O Gara and B Brogan and Ryan McHugh flying. The Dubs fans must miss an atmosphere like that, a contest. A contest is needed or else what is the point

Cork have improved bigtime. They didnt stop and i hope they give Tyrone a game....could be a cracker. Hurley is a beast. The Vikiing and Loughrey were impressive too

We put 7-16 past kildare in 2015. Tyrone scored 4-24 v the rossies last year

lenny

Quote from: Muck Savage on July 14, 2019, 12:47:27 AM
Are the Dublin public getting tired of watching this team? Seems the crowds are way down, 40K at Leinster final, 30K at this game. 5 years ago every game they played was full house or close to it.

It's beginning to kill the argument that the neutral game needs to be in CP to cater for the crowd, Thurles would be able to take a Dub/Ross game and maybe not sell out.

Once Dublin get their new stadium with 25k capacity all the nonsense about the croke park neutral game will disappear. Most of their matches will be held at this new venue and it will be perfect for the crowd. Dublin have taken the game to a new level but they're not unbeatable. Cork showed that they have plenty of players who are mortal. Their best players are still the older ones along eith mccaffrey and fenton. They still rely on dean rock, mcauley, mccarthy etc all guys around the 30 mark. This golden age will end and I'm not convinced they have the quality coming through to replace these men.

sid waddell

Big scores are much more common in Gaelic football now. The pace of the game is higher than ever before and any mismatches in terms of fitness and/or tactics are generally ruthlessly exposed in a way they generally weren't in ye olde footballe. A couple of huge scores notched by Kerry and Tyrone in quarter-final games in recent years were mentioned above and are testament to that.

You see it in matches like Tyrone v Cavan and Kildare v Longford too. Winning margins across the board have the potential to be higher.

Tyrone knocked in 3-20 against Cork last year.

Kerry knocked in 3-19 in an All-Ireland semi-final in 2002 and nobody was calling them unbeatable.

Margins can be misleading. Roscommon v Tyrone yesterday was a four point hammering. Dublin v Cork was a 13 point thriller.

Dublin v Kerry in 2013 which is often thought to be the greatest match of all time ended with a seven point margin, yet Kerry could have won it, missing a sitter to go ahead after 69 minutes.

It was only in the last seven or eight minutes of last night's game that Dublin outlasted Cork for fitness. Cork threw the kitchen sink at Dublin in a way other teams recently have been afraid to.

They should count themselves very unlucky to have lost by 13 because no way were Dublin anything near 13 points a better team than them.

There are cracks appearing in Dublin. Several defenders are no longer top class (McMahon, O'Sullivan) or never were to begin with (Fitzsimons, Byrne), one of the first choice midfielders (McAuley) is well into his 30s and the forwards, while they are good, are not at the same genuine all time elite level that Flynn, Brogan and Connolly were at in their pomp.

The bench seems weaker too.

I expected Cork to give Dublin a good rattle but still lose by a considerable margin. That's what happened.

I believe four teams are capable of going toe to toe with them for the entire match. Dublin haven't had such a challenge since the 2017 final. They were better than than they are now, and they scraped over the line then by the skin of their collective teeth.

If Dublin do get over the line this year, that's how it'll be again. But at the moment I wouldn't be putting a huge amount of money on them even doing that.

In terms of whether they get a genuine semi-final challenge, a lot will depend on the fixture scheduling for the last round of Super 8 games.

Tyrone v Dublin will be a dead rubber, while Mayo v Donegal is unlikely to be. The GAA should ensure that that Mayo v Donegal game is on the Saturday rather than the Sunday.

If Dublin win their group after a dead rubber final match in Omagh, and then get a semi-final the following Saturday against a Mayo or Donegal team that has had to go full tilt the previous Sunday, there would be genuine cause for complaint.

Halfquarter

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2019, 09:39:48 AM
Big scores are much more common in Gaelic football now. The pace of the game is higher than ever before and any mismatches in terms of fitness and/or tactics are generally ruthlessly exposed in a way they generally weren't in ye olde footballe. A couple of huge scores notched by Kerry and Tyrone in quarter-final games in recent years were mentioned above and are testament to that.

You see it in matches like Tyrone v Cavan and Kildare v Longford too. Winning margins across the board have the potential to be higher.

Tyrone knocked in 3-20 against Cork last year.

Kerry knocked in 3-19 in an All-Ireland semi-final in 2002 and nobody was calling them unbeatable.

Margins can be misleading. Roscommon v Tyrone yesterday was a four point hammering. Dublin v Cork was a 13 point thriller.

Dublin v Kerry in 2013 which is often thought to be the greatest match of all time ended with a seven point margin, yet Kerry could have won it, missing a sitter to go ahead after 69 minutes.

It was only in the last seven or eight minutes of last night's game that Dublin outlasted Cork for fitness. Cork threw the kitchen sink at Dublin in a way other teams recently have been afraid to.

They should count themselves very unlucky to have lost by 13 because no way were Dublin anything near 13 points a better team than them.

There are cracks appearing in Dublin. Several defenders are no longer top class (McMahon, O'Sullivan) or never were to begin with (Fitzsimons, Byrne), one of the first choice midfielders (McAuley) is well into his 30s and the forwards, while they are good, are not at the same genuine all time elite level that Flynn, Brogan and Connolly were at in their pomp.

The bench seems weaker too.

I expected Cork to give Dublin a good rattle but still lose by a considerable margin. That's what happened.

I believe four teams are capable of going toe to toe with them for the entire match. Dublin haven't had such a challenge since the 2017 final. They were better than than they are now, and they scraped over the line then by the skin of their collective teeth.

If Dublin do get over the line this year, that's how it'll be again. But at the moment I wouldn't be putting a huge amount of money on them even doing that.

In terms of whether they get a genuine semi-final challenge, a lot will depend on the fixture scheduling for the last round of Super 8 games.

Tyrone v Dublin will be a dead rubber, while Mayo v Donegal is unlikely to be. The GAA should ensure that that Mayo v Donegal game is on the Saturday rather than the Sunday.

If Dublin win their group after a dead rubber final match in Omagh, and then get a semi-final the following Saturday against a Mayo or Donegal team that has had to go full tilt the previous Sunday, there would be genuine cause for complaint.

The system is seems totally unfair anyway.

Next weekend will be Mayo's sixth weekend on the trot, playing a match.

They already have had to leave the country twice, New York an NI , ( not to mention taking on the Animals in Killarney 😀) while Dublin just sit in their Ivory Tower.

seafoid

The only thing that will stop the GAA pumping money into Dublin is a collapse in attendances.
They can't fund the project without gate receipts. Unfortunately for them the Super 8 is as lopsided as everything else. Sport without competition is a turn off for fans. RTÉ can't charge the same ad rates for matches people won't watch.

« Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. »

Flannery O'Connor
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 14, 2019, 10:14:28 AM
The only thing that will stop the GAA pumping money into Dublin is a collapse in attendances.
They can't fund the project without gate receipts. Unfortunately for them the Super 8 is as lopsided as everything else. Sport without competition is a turn off for fans. RTÉ can't charge the same ad rates for matches people won't watch.

« Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. »

Flannery O'Connor

Yes, this is why I want Dublin to win and win and win. Attendances will die. Money will dry up and Headquarters will have no choice but to change the funding.

Cork beating Dublin would have been a disaster yesterday.

The darkest time is before dawn.

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2019, 10:40:15 AM

« Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. »

Flannery O'Connor

Yes, this is why I want Dublin to win and win and win. Attendances will die. Money will dry up and Headquarters will have no choice but to change the funding.

Yes ,but if Mayo ( or someone else ) come along and Dublin just get a narrow victory all will be well with the world again.

The Hill is Blue

Fair dues to Cork for an honest and spirited display. The last five minutes in no way reflected on their very positive performance. I think that they're still in with genuine chance of progressing from this group.

Dublin still aren't the finished article yet this year and it remains to be seen what they might have in reserve.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

mrdeeds

I don't know if this mentioned already but the Dublin fans were a disgrace yesterday.

sid waddell

Quote from: Halfquarter on July 14, 2019, 10:10:47 AM

The system is seems totally unfair anyway.

Next weekend will be Mayo's sixth weekend on the trot, playing a match.

They already have had to leave the country twice, New York an NI , ( not to mention taking on the Animals in Killarney 😀) while Dublin just sit in their Ivory Tower.
Next weekend will be Mayo's fifth weekend in a row in action, not sixth

If you lose in your province I don't think you can have much complaint about such a situation

In fact playing several weeks in a row is often an advantage - Mayo are battle hardened going into today, while there are a lot of question marks about a non-battle hardened Kerry

"Ivory Tower" is the sort of rhetoric that really doesn't do the Dublin-haters any good at all

DUBSFORSAM1

It was great to see a team take it to Dublin yesterday and it was a very good performance by Cork. It would be great if more teams could adopt this style of football.

From a Dublin perspective it was great to see Cooper (best defender), Murchan (best man marker) and McCarthy back from injury.

It does look as if Dublin are waiting for the last 3 games - Tyrone in Omagh and the semi-final/final to get the intensity levels up.

sid waddell

Flannery O'Connor

Change what funding

Dublin don't have an outsize number of Games Promotion Officers compared to other counties

Funding GPOs is the very definition of investing in the grass roots and communities

The grass roots in Dublin seems to be irrelevant to most country people, they would rather see clubs in Dublin die

That's a horribly sneering attitude

Dublin has around 90 clubs, it's not a massive amount relatively speaking

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2019, 11:25:03 AM

Flannery O'Connor

Change what funding

Dublin don't have an outsize number of Games Promotion Officers compared to other counties

Funding GPOs is the very definition of investing in the grass roots and communities

The grass roots in Dublin seems to be irrelevant to most country people, they would rather see clubs in Dublin die

That's a horribly sneering attitude

Dublin has around 90 clubs, it's not a massive amount relatively speaking
The GAA used to have a football championship .
It's not the GAA's fault that Dublin has 1/4 of the population of the island
What was stupid was assuming that promoting the games wouldn't affect the All Ireland .

The vast majority of historic f**k ups were kicked off innocently.
Gavrilo Princip only wanted to hurt the Hapsburgs.
Brian Cowen only wanted to help the banks

The British in New England only wanted to raise some taxes.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/lin received almost €18million in game development grants between 2007 and 2018. Cork was the county that received the second largest amount, with €1.4m.

"That money is ringfenced solely for coaching and games development in Dublin," Dublin county board chief executive John Costello told RTÉ GAA correspondent Morrissey.

"We have 54 games promotion officers, we have three regional development officers, we have a hurling development officer and a football development officer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU