The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

My last 3 rounds of golf have been pure shite, shooting 15-20 more than I normally expect.

The worst is my long irons, shanking them and getting no distance at all.

Anyone any ideas how to get back to basics?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thebigfella

I know the feeling, monthly medal on sat. 55 out  >:( and 40 in, with a few left behind me too on the back 9. Then played Killeen Castle on Sunday in a society outing. 9 points on the front 9, 22 on the back 9.

Cannot put a full round together at the moment   ???

Puckoon

Orior - you need to get the confidence back - nothing gets rid of it quicker than a bout of the shanks. I had it about 2 years ago. Buddy at work playing off 2 took me out to the range and had me just work on chipping a bit to get my confidence in the correct contact and club face orientation back - then I hit a bucket of 8 irons (my go to iron) and worked my way through the bag. Seemed to fix it a bit for me. He mentioned relaxing my grip and swing - but making sure i wasn't leaving the club behind -  a bit as I was very tense (as you'd tend to be when every time you line up an iron shot you shank it).

Declan

QuoteKilleen Castle on Sunday in a society outing. 9 points on the front 9, 22 on the back 9.

What did you make of the course big fella? I played it a 2 months ago and did the opposite - Opened up with 4 straight pars and then boooom

thebigfella

Quote from: Declan on June 16, 2011, 09:08:40 AM
QuoteKilleen Castle on Sunday in a society outing. 9 points on the front 9, 22 on the back 9.

What did you make of the course big fella? I played it a 2 months ago and did the opposite - Opened up with 4 straight pars and then boooom

Have to say I loved the course even though the weather was mental. It's a tough course but fair IMO and they have it in great knick too at the moment. On the 11 I still had only 10 points and then it was pars, birdies and an eagle on the 15  ::)

It's easily up there with the best courses I've played, if not the best. It's certainly my favorite at the moment and can't wait to go back and play it in good weather.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Orior on June 15, 2011, 10:36:53 PM
My last 3 rounds of golf have been pure shite, shooting 15-20 more than I normally expect.

The worst is my long irons, shanking them and getting no distance at all.

Anyone any ideas how to get back to basics?
forget it about for a couple of weeks, leave the clubs in the garden shed, and with a bit of luck the bad shots with them. Failing that you may pack it in altogether!! :)

David McKeown

I really think its time I gave up a golf, two years ago I entered the singles matchplay (summer comp) at work.  Match was due to be played by the Friday, but opponent couldn't make it on account of a Rugby trip so he got an extension to the Monday. on the Saturday in between I broke bones in my hand and had to withdraw.

Entered the Winter doubles and got to the final only for the weather to ensure the final didnt get played and was decided by a coin toss which I lost.

Entered last year singles and broke my thumb two days before my match

Doubles didnt take place on account of weather

This year enter the singles again, night before the match opponent rings me to say hes hurt his wrist and needs an extension, as hes much more important than me I agree to the request.  Organiser doesnt and tosses a coin to determine winner, I lose

Doubles then are moved forward to last week, get drawn in preliminary round two days before competition I break a bone in my back and have to withdraw.

Third straight Summer with little or no golf, starting to go crazy
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orior

You work with a bunch of c***ts. Change job.

David McKeown

I don't think fairness comes into it. I didn't even get told it had happened till I checked the notice board the next week and saw he'd been declared winner.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Puckoon

The auld fella got rightly screwed at the weekend. Shot 38 points, which was the tieing score for 1, 2, and 3rd place. They "lost" his card, and maintained that he must have not entered it - until he had them go back and check all the cards and sure enough his card with the 38 was in with the bunch. No prize though.

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on June 16, 2011, 03:53:31 PM
The auld fella got rightly screwed at the weekend. Shot 38 points, which was the tieing score for 1, 2, and 3rd place. They "lost" his card, and maintained that he must have not entered it - until he had them go back and check all the cards and sure enough his card with the 38 was in with the bunch. No prize though.

If the auld fella's handicap was 20 or above, then I could believe that.

Puckoon

It is/was - but I don't follow your thinkin?

Groucho

Quote from: Puckoon on June 16, 2011, 03:53:31 PM

If his score entitled him to a prize that he didn't receive then competitions would have to compensate him with a voucher equivalent to the prize he missed out on......has happened to me about 10 times.....each time I would rather have the voucher ;D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Brick Tamlin

Folks, need to upgrade hte golf bag and trolley.
Where are the best deals to be had. Ive had a good look on e-bay and amazon and a few of the larger sports retailers.
Anyone reccomend a decent shop or site that do good deals. Surely nowhere local would be able to beat online prices right?
Last 2 bags have torn pretty easily (Slazenger & Dunlop i think) so id like something a bit more robust this time to stick on the cart/trolley. Also same goes for the cart/trolley, something robust, 3 wheeler preferably.

Puckoon

Why do you need a cart? Are you 60?