The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 01:39:55 PM
1000 - 1100 and no membership fee but would ideally be looking below a grand. Thats everything though, don't want any green fees on top of that. I think at the moment and the current climate 1500 - 2000 is far too high and I know of quite a few clubs struggling to keep hold of members let alone atract news ones.

Hollystown is probably the best I've seen so far at 1090. Anyone played citywest?

Played Citywest last year on a weekend and it was packed, there were 6 or 7 societies out that day. We nearly died of boredom
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

thebigfella

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:14:20 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 14, 2009, 01:48:07 PM
1000 - 1100 and no membership fee but would ideally be looking below a grand. Thats everything though, don't want any green fees on top of that. I think at the moment and the current climate 1500 - 2000 is far too high and I know of quite a few clubs struggling to keep hold of members let alone atract news ones.

Hollystown is probably the best I've seen so far at 1090. Anyone played citywest?

Played it once it's ok, though if you are thinking of joining one that side of Dublin have a look at Grangecastle Golf Club, it's where I play all the time. It's only about ten minutes from citywest and it is a great course and a good challenge. Not sure how much membership is but green fees are only €22 mid week which I think is very good for the standard of course you are getting

My memory of Grangecastle (and its been a couple of years) was playing in on a summers days and taking 5.5 hours to get around, at one stage there were 20 people on the same hole! i play out of Hollystown not great value this year, I think I played four times,thats down to circumstance more than anything. They have dropped their fees it was 1300 two years ago.

Yeah thats why it interests me, although I still think there is better value to be had around Dublin. Played there quite a few times this year and it's a very good setup. Was on there yesterday while a comp was going on and wasn't too busy at all.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:24:27 PM

Played Citywest last year on a weekend and it was packed, there were 6 or 7 societies out that day.
We nearly died of boredom
You don't have much luck do ya gerry!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

Well around Donabate it ranges from around 1300 (Turvey, no joining fee) to €3000 (Beaverstown, including joining-fee).  They're not saying down at The Island, but I believe it was around €5000 in 2009 (with a €28,000 joining fee).  Nice course though.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerrykeegan

Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 02:31:56 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:14:20 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 14, 2009, 01:48:07 PM

Played it once it's ok, though if you are thinking of joining one that side of Dublin have a look at Grangecastle Golf Club, it's where I play all the time. It's only about ten minutes from citywest and it is a great course and a good challenge. Not sure how much membership is but green fees are only €22 mid week which I think is very good for the standard of course you are getting

My memory of Grangecastle (and its been a couple of years) was playing in on a summers days and taking 5.5 hours to get around, at one stage there were 20 people on the same hole! i play out of Hollystown not great value this year, I think I played four times,thats down to circumstance more than anything. They have dropped their fees it was 1300 two years ago.

Yeah thats why it interests me, although I still think there is better value to be had around Dublin. Played there quite a few times this year and it's a very good setup. Was on there yesterday while a comp was going on and wasn't too busy at all.

The 27 holes in Hollystown is great. I have played up there in a three ball and been around in 3 hours 15 minutes. Do not join Elmgreen, they operate a timesheet but then ignore it. Its kind of run by their own little group of local lads. We spent 45 minutes waiting on the first one morning. (I can hear LaoisLad  laughing already)

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2009, 02:41:17 PM
Well around Donabate it ranges from around 1300 (Turvey, no joining fee) to €3000 (Beaverstown, including joining-fee).  They're not saying down at The Island, but I believe it was around €5000 in 2009 (with a €28,000 joining fee).  Nice course though.

The island is class. Billy I assume your a regular in Corballis, one of my favourite public courses.

The wife wouldn't let me join Beaverstown or Blackbush!

The Real Laoislad

Is Elm Geen that course in Castleknock? Played there once thought it was nice. Anyone ever play Silouge out beside the airport?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebigfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 14, 2009, 03:09:17 PM
Is Elm Geen that course in Castleknock? Played there once thought it was nice. Anyone ever play Silouge out beside the airport?

Played Silouge quite a bit too as it's handy for me coming down the N1 and the others in Dublin to meet up at. Not bad TBH for a public course and have never been held up; quite open too which is good as everything I hit for a while was either a mad slice or hook. Couple of very good holes on it but I reckon the front 9 would be pure muck at the moment.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 03:14:29 PM

Played Silouge quite a bit too as it's handy for me coming down the N1 and the others in Dublin to meet up at. Not bad TBH for a public course and have never been held up; quite open too which is good as everything I hit for a while was either a mad slice or hook. Couple of very good holes on it but I reckon the front 9 would be pure muck at the moment.

Everywhere pure muck at moment, I played on Thursday down in Rathdowney and 14 of the holes were temp greens which was a bit of a balls
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebigfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 14, 2009, 03:18:37 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 03:14:29 PM

Everywhere pure muck at moment, I played on Thursday down in Rathdowney and 14 of the holes were temp greens which was a bit of a balls

Have to say Hollystown wasn't bad yesterday, greens were in fairly good shape. Bar 3 or 4 holes it was reasonable but I cant remember a year as wet as this or the last time I was out in the dry (including teh f**king summer).

heganboy

played yesterday on our course here which is 700 ft above sea level and the ground is frozen. First tee shot is usually over water and my partner managed to skip his tee shot over the frozen lake and 220 yards down the middle... I took driver on a down hill 310 yard par 4 and as I might as well have been playing on concrete as the ball bounced forty feet in the air and ended up 40 yards on past the green, perfect as the temporary green was 40 yards in front of the normal spot. 
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: heganboy on December 14, 2009, 03:59:22 PM
played yesterday on our course here which is 700 ft above sea level and the ground is frozen. First tee shot is usually over water and my partner managed to skip his tee shot over the frozen lake and 220 yards down the middle... I took driver on a down hill 310 yard par 4 and as I might as well have been playing on concrete as the ball bounced forty feet in the air and ended up 40 yards on past the green, perfect as the temporary green was 40 yards in front of the normal spot.

So you over hit a 310 yard shot by 80 yards and it was perfect. My kind of golfer. If I hit a drive straight into the sea I don't mind as long as it was a big hit.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:48:16 PM

The island is class. Billy I assume your a regular in Corballis, one of my favourite public courses.

Yeah, I like Corballis - it's hard, but rewarding for accuracy.  Have you played the 'new' holes there yet Gerry?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on December 14, 2009, 04:10:42 PM
Quote from: heganboy on December 14, 2009, 03:59:22 PM

So you over hit a 310 yard shot by 80 yards and it was perfect. My kind of golfer. If I hit a drive straight into the sea I don't mind as long as it was a big hit.

Bit like that myself,Id have my auld lad saying jaysis you hit that well left,and I'd say yeah it went left but it was straight left!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2009, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:48:16 PM

Yeah, I like Corballis - it's hard, but rewarding for accuracy.  Have you played the 'new' holes there yet Gerry?

Billy

Last time I played it the old holes over the road were still in existence. Where did they get the new ground from? It always was a real test of accuracy and the greens were superb. We stopped playing when one of the lads in my group hit another player in the eye with a golf ball. We never were enclined to go back. It was one of those "oh f**king Jesus Christ moments"