The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 19, 2009, 09:46:36 AM
QuoteSaw a very happy and tearfull ( i think) Sean Lowry on the tv , sean played with us and managed us for a year or 2

My missus was saying that alright last night, that one of the Lowrys spent a while in Crossmolina - did he pull on the green and red while he was there too?

yeah billy he did indeed he must have spent about 15 years in Cross , was that 1985 Rossie ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Looks like the 3000 /1 was a mistake by pp

Tuesday May 19 2009

SHANE Lowry may have walked away from his Irish Open victory without any prize winnings, but his nearest and dearest were not left empty-handed.

His mother Bridget will collect well over €15,000 after putting down a €50 bet each way at 250/1 that her son would be victorious.

Lowry said yesterday that he did not have a bet on himself, despite the high odds which were being offered by the bookies.

"But I know my mam had," said the victorious 22-year-old. "She had €50 each way at 250/1, so she has a nice cheque to pick up -- more than me anyway."

Under the rules of the competition, Lowry was unable to collect the €500,000 prize fund, which went to England's Robert Rock, who came in second place.

A number of his supporters thought themselves lucky to get odds of 3,000/1, only for Paddy Powers to withdraw them before play began at Baltray.

The odds had been released as a mistake, the correct figure being 300/1.

"I know a couple of guys that got 3,000/1. But I don't know if that is going to be honoured because I think it was a mistake, but it is still on the docket," said Lowry.

About five of his supporters are €45,000 richer as a result of the win although another withdrew his bet when contacted by Paddy Power staff.

- Shane Hickey

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

muppet

Quote from: Rossie11 on May 19, 2009, 10:03:52 AM
Quotedid he pull on the green and red while he was there too?
He did the big oaf and scored a screamer of a goal v the Rossies in a Connacht final..

In 1985 I think. He took a low drop kick from Jimmy Burke and then rounded Pat Lindsey in Hyde Park and drop kicked (why don't they do that any more?) a rocket in the top left corner of the net.

Oddly I think he was dropped for the Dublin game or else the replay.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Yeah - dropped for the Dublin game. McStay complained about it in Keith Duggan's book - reckoned he was treated fairly badly.

the Deel Rover

Who took his place . I know Billy Fitz played that game but he hardly started he was around 42 then
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Capt Pat

There is a lot of talk now about whether Lowry should turn pro or wait 4 months to play in the Walker Cup. i know what I would do if i was in his shoes, I would play in the Walker Cup for free and turn down the opportunity of winning hundreds of thousands of euros on the European tour having already missed out on half a million due  to the stupid rules of golf.............would I ****. I wouldn't waste a New York minute thinking about it, I would have turned pro before the final putt in the playoff hit the bottom of the cup. He could win another half a million on the European tour in those 4 months and would effectively have passe on the opportunity of 1 million euro to play in the Walker Cup. The Walker Cup is the pinnacle of achievement for a lot of golfers but not for Lowry, he has already moved on to another level and there can be no looking back.

corn02

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 24, 2009, 06:18:33 PM
Delighted to see Casey win the BMW PGA today,he's 3rd in the World now could be a good shout for the British Open this year

Casey is a very likeable chap by the sounds of it. Unfortunately he will never win in a major in my opinion - does not have the temperment.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: corn02 on May 24, 2009, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 24, 2009, 06:18:33 PM
Delighted to see Casey win the BMW PGA today,he's 3rd in the World now could be a good shout for the British Open this year

Casey is a very likeable chap by the sounds of it. Unfortunately he will never win in a major in my opinion - does not have the temperment.

Totally disagree with you for a change corn.
I always thought he was one of those players who would always make the cut in tournaments but would win very little over his career but he has really come on this season,you don't become No.3 in the world for nothing I really think he can win a major
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

Treasurer

corn02

Quote from: Treasurer on May 28, 2009, 03:24:40 PM
Quote from: corn02 on May 28, 2009, 03:20:21 PM
Lowry having a stinker!

Aye, +4 after 10 :(

He needs to steady out, won;t make the cut, but between the last eight and tomorrow's round if he can stay at 4 he will be ok.

It'll take a while for him to get up to speed.

Treasurer

Dropped another shot - 5 over after 12

magickingdom

shane finished 6 over while scott arnold who also turned pro this week (no 1 ranked amateur last week shane was no 16) finished 7 over. its tough out there but i honestly thought they could be in the 80s today

Diet Coke

It's a big step up to  the paid ranks....he will need a lot of patience ........Justin Rose missed his first 22 cuts, best of luck to him.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

The Real Laoislad

Will he earn anything if he misses the cut?
You'll Never Walk Alone.