The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Ardglass is a thing of beauty. The sea wraps around 1-5 and 10-12 and these are as good a holes as you'll ever find. It's not proper links in that there's no dunes, but the fairways and winds are pure links. If there's a proper wind I'll put it bluntly - enjoy the scenery because the golf is going to kill you. Without wind though it's short and not difficult.

Greenore is more of a marmite course. I'd be more on the side of not liking it, but lots of golfing folk wax lyrical on it. Half of it is beside the sea, but it's in no way linksy  - the terrain is pure parkland. It's one of those courses I've always found plays longer than it should, especially the opening par 4s which just grind on. But it does have highlights; the island par 3 would put the fear into anyone, while some of the drives are immense.

JimStynes

You don't happen to know what the green fees are for opens at those 2 courses? Ardglass sounds class.

sans pessimism

My 3 favorite courses
                             1.Enniscrone(Sligo)
                             2.Ballinrobe(Mayo)
                             3.Tullamore(Offaly)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 19, 2011, 06:53:31 PM
My 3 favorite courses
                             1.Enniscrone(Sligo)
                             2.Ballinrobe(Mayo)
                             3.Tullamore(Offaly)

Is 3 Esker Hills? Nice course alright.

But for a Mayoman to leave out Carne! It must have been a bit windy when you played it. I like Westport as well.
MWWSI 2017

heganboy

Quote from: JimStynes on October 18, 2011, 11:06:47 PM
You don't happen to know what the green fees are for opens at those 2 courses? Ardglass sounds class.

http://tinyurl.com/6f7xhjf
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

sans pessimism

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2011, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on October 19, 2011, 06:53:31 PM
My 3 favorite courses
                             1.Enniscrone(Sligo)
                             2.Ballinrobe(Mayo)
                             3.Tullamore(Offaly)

Is 3 Esker Hills? Nice course alright.But for a Mayoman to leave out Carne! It must have been a bit windy when you played it. I like Westport as well.
No, Muppet-Tullamore Golf Club(A little Gem)Esker is a fine course,but I loved TGC.Re Carne-Is it ever not windy!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

Muppet, Tullamore GC is just outside the town of Tullamore, on the Kinnitty Road. A rolling course if I remember rightly, not unlike Birr. It's been years since I played it though.

Declan

McIlroy parts with management company
Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:46 AM

World number three and US Open champion Rory McIlroy has ended his association with management company International Sports Management, they announced today.

The 22-year-old Northern Irishman, golf's brightest young talent, had been with the company from the time he turned professional in 2007.

Manager Andrew 'Chubby' Chandler also handles the careers of world number two Lee Westwood, Open champion Darren Clarke, Masters champion Charl Schwartzel and three-time major winner Ernie Els.

The split was announced two days after McIlroy competed against Clarke, Schwartzel and US PGA champion Keegan Bradley at the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in Bermuda.

He led by three with 12 holes to play, but fell away to a 75 and to third place three behind Schwartzel and four behind winner Bradley.

Chandler, who was in attendance, commented in the company's statement today: "Onward and upwards. We have had a quite brilliant year.

"The company is growing and adapting to ensure it stays at the forefront of golf and the business of managing players. We wish Rory every success."

The statement also said: "It has been an honour representing Rory and we take great pride in the role ISM has played in guiding him successfully through his formative years as a professional golfer.

"Under our management he has grown into an international figure and he leaves us as a major champion.

"ISM prides itself on putting the athlete first. In golf this has enabled our players to achieve unprecedented success with Rory joining Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel and Darren Clarke as a major winner and Lee Westwood at the summit of the world rankings.

"ISM continues to go from strength to strength, its dedicated team of professionals providing our clients with world-class support across the globe. We look forward to even more success in the years ahead."

McIlroy had yet to comment either in person, in a statement or via his Twitter site.

Puckoon

Just took the virtual tour of Concra wood GC at Castleblaney - have any of you played it?

Looks spectacular - and some of the holes look like real head scratchers.

Declan

QuoteJust took the virtual tour of Concra wood GC at Castleblaney - have any of you played it?

Looks spectacular - and some of the holes look like real head scratchers.

Played it earlier this year Puck - possibly the best course I've ever played but by God is tough - I thought it was a bit unfair on the average golfer as every "bad" shot was brutally exposed and it's very unforgiving. Some spectacular holes though - the Par 5 with the drive over the water and then the green back out into the lake is just unreal. Long as well. I found the greens difficult to read- they look an awful lot faster than they play- One of the lads described them as "hairy concrete"  :D

I don't normally like using a buggy but it's useful around that track. Bring your "A" game and you'll really enjoy it otherwise enjoy the views!!!

Puckoon

Dad and the brother have played it two or three times this year - will be a must visit when I get back next year. There's a par 5 (13 I think), drive over water with a lake in the middle of the fairway and a small strip of fairway to the right of the lake - bordered by the real lake to the right of the strip! Can you carry the lake in two or do you need to take your medicine? Very unfair to post a par 5 that you can't reach in 3?

Dad played there yesterday and was saying the greens were lightning alright.

Declan

Yep. That's the hole alright. Reachable in 3 alright as long as u stay dry!!

thewobbler

I've played Concra 4 or 5 times and I'd say it's the best course I've stood on in Ireland. I don't think it's as much fun as a few others, as it can be a bit of a slog, but the challenge is amazing and the layout impeccable. I'd struggle to think of better value golf.

I'd definitely recommend a buggy, especially if you're not out early, as the pace can slow down to a crawl when societies are out, and there are a lot of hills, especially between greens and tees. The quickest round I've played there in a four ball (walking) was 4.45 or so.

The 3rd and 4th are among the best holes I've stood on. The 4th is actually a wonder - in fact all the par 5s are straight out of the top drawer. The 10th is a bizarre hole with a 100 foot drop on the approach shot, but some people love it.

The last twice I played it, I shot just off my handicap which did the heart good, as my first few times out I found it a bit like Declan, that bad shots were being cruelly exposed. My revised opinion is that bad shots can be gotten away with, as long as you play your angles sensibly away from the rough stuff (fairways tend to be sloped towards one side). The greens are big, and aren't that quick, but they are true.

Puckoon, I've only played off the front tees (I'm not masochistic enough to back any further), but the 13th is definitely playable in two off the front. The drive to the left pond is about 270 yards off the front tees. From there it's still a considerable whack, but I've got within 50.

Just booked flights to Malaga in March. £67, including club carriage, ex Belfast with Aer Lingus. It costs me more to fill my car! 

JimStynes

Anyone play with the Titleist AP2 710s? How much would you expect to pay for a 2nd hand set that are in good condition? The club pro has just got a new set of irons today and he is selling his old irons. He gave them to me for the week so I could try them out on the range and for a round next week. I am currently playing off about 18 and worried that they are maybe going to be too hard to hit. A couple of my mates (single digit handicappers) use them and love them. They look and feel like lovely Irons, just seems like too good an opportunity to turn these irons down.

Played in the club pro shop sweep today. Had another decent enough round considering the conditions. It pissed down from the 3rd hole onwards. The greens were starting to become unplayable and we were struggling to keep hold of our clubs but we pushed on through as 2 of us were going quite well. I finished with 40 points, could be good enough to win something but the fellas who went out in the morning had much easier conditions to play in so they may well have scored better. Wont know until tomorrow. My slice started creeping back in throughout the round as well  >:( heading to the range tomorrow night to sort it out.

sammymaguire

What an achievement by Luke Donald topping the earnings lists on both the European and PGA tours. All he needs now is to pick up one of the Big Four and have to say he would thoroughly deserve one
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!