Cavan v Tyrone - 5pm, Clones, Sat 6th July

Started by tyroneman, July 01, 2019, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2019, 05:49:54 PM
I dont blame Mickey Graham for the dirty digs from cavan players, I blame the players themselves. That shite is not Graham way and Any one who knows the man knows that. However, I must say it's seriously ironic to be lectured on dirty acts by a Tyrone fan. However unlike a lot of Tyrone fans I'll call out the cavan players for their cowardice yesterday and I won't trawl the bottom of the barrel to defend them.

Your team came out after the break yesterday, and continued in the same knackerish vein -- if that's not down to management I don't know what is, frankly.

You call that a lecture? Poor diddums.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Itchy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 07, 2019, 08:09:51 PM
I dont blame Mickey Graham for the dirty digs from cavan players, I blame the players themselves. That shite is not Graham way and Any one who knows the man knows that. However, I must say it's seriously ironic to be lectured on dirty acts by a Tyrone fan. However unlike a lot of Tyrone fans I'll call out the cavan players for their cowardice yesterday and I won't trawl the bottom of the barrel to defend them.

Your team came out after the break yesterday, and continued in the same knackerish vein -- if that's not down to management I don't know what is, frankly.

Your manager has put out generations of knackers on the field and blessed them with his rosary beads on the way. A total and utter f**king hypocrite. But that seems to be in the Tyrone DNA.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2019, 08:33:58 PM

Your manager has put out generations of knackers on the field and blessed them with his rosary beads on the way. A total and utter f**king hypocrite. But that seems to be in the Tyrone DNA.

Tetchy© hardstation or what!  ;D ;D ;D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2019, 08:33:58 PM

Now now, I know you're hurting after yesterday's utter embarrassment, but there's no need to get on like that.

Rudi

Itchy is spot on, he has condemned the Cavan players for their actions and has mentioned the irony of Tyrone supporters lecturing him on sc**bag acts on the football field. One of the better posters on this board, from a county with die hard Gaa supporters unlike the Tyrone bandwagon ers.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rudi on July 07, 2019, 09:42:01 PM
Itchy is spot on, he has condemned the Cavan players for their actions and has mentioned the irony of Tyrone supporters lecturing him on sc**bag acts on the football field. One of the better posters on this board, from a county with die hard Gaa supporters unlike the Tyrone bandwagon ers.

Mea culpa, for sure -- he's firing out accusations there like confetti (without substantiating a single one), and for your very own information, the very first President of the Ulster Council was a Tír Eoghain man, no less than M.V. O'Nolan (from Strabane)... bandwaggoners my arse.

Sure wallow away in your embittered ignorance, why don't you.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Estimator on July 07, 2019, 11:29:43 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 07, 2019, 12:11:39 AM

Didn't see what Hartes black card was for,  was it harsh?

Seems like he was pinged for a trip. Similar to his previous black card against Donegal (open to correction on that).

To me Harte's technique is to plant his foot in front of the opposition player then follow with the shoulder charge. Nothing wrong with that unless it's misjudged (timing or speed or movement of attacker) and to the ref it looks like he has deliberately stuck his leg across attacking player and tripping him. Fully expect him to be playing next week.

Not sure how the linesman missed the challenge by McVeety. And a couple of yellows could have been blacks. The Cavan corner back ploughing straight into the Tyrone man on the sideline. Another ref could have deemed Cavanaghs challenge to be a black card.

Normally I would agree with your description of PH's tackling, however on this occasion he lead with the other leg, a clear trip. I thought initially it was a black card, the slow mo on Sunday Game confirmed it. HOWEVER, I think he will still get off the suspension as I think the Longford card will get suppressed.

macdanger2

I think that the two trips were definite trips (in that the player fell because of Harte's foot) and the "pull down" against Longford was a a definite pull down. Whether it's a black card or not though depends on whether or not it's deliberate so in all 3 cases, it looked like his main aim wasn't to trip / pull down his man so I'd say that they weren't deliberate.

IMO, a black card should be for instances where a player makes zero effort to tackle rather than when he just makes a poor tackle

imtommygunn

Yeah that was a definite black card. I don't know that Harte intends the trip thing - I think he seems to plant one foot forward when he tackles for whatever reason and in 2 cases this has ended up tripping someone.  I haven't seen the Longford incident but Donegal and Cavan were like that.

BennyHarp

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2019, 11:04:03 AM
I think that the two trips were definite trips (in that the player fell because of Harte's foot) and the "pull down" against Longford was a a definite pull down. Whether it's a black card or not though depends on whether or not it's deliberate so in all 3 cases, it looked like his main aim wasn't to trip / pull down his man so I'd say that they weren't deliberate.

IMO, a black card should be for instances where a player makes zero effort to tackle rather than when he just makes a poor tackle

I agree. The black card was specifically introduced to tackle cynical behaviour - not to send someone off due to a lazy or mistimed tackle. How anyone would think that a player would want to deliberatelycommit a cynical tackle with 1 minute to go, when his team 15 or so points up is beyond me. This decision by Cassidy, especially after watching Moyagh deliberately body check McGeary in plain view of the him and a linesman about 2 mins before is enough for me to suggest that the black card is a complete shambles.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2019, 11:04:03 AM

I think bringing in the black card was necessary and has overall helped the game but maybe it needs refining a little bit now that we see how's it's implemented. It certainly has stopped the more obvious third man tackles and blocking off runs (although Cavan were getting away with that quite a bit of Saturday).
However, I agree with this above that it needs to be a bit more balanced in that yes it was a foul and maybe even a yellow but was it cynical? Was the player DEFINITELY trying to stop the player in purpose with no attempt to win the ball. I think most of Petey's ones were frees but I don't think you can say it was totally cynical as in trying to close out the game or drag down a man when he has already turned and beaten you? Often it was more clumsy and got his legs in the wrong place.

I can understand to a degree that Cavan had to get in Tyrone's faces and let them know they meant business which they definitely did and of course this came from their management panel. Those who know Mickey Harte know he's no angel and whilst he might not be telling players to dive, of course like any good manager he will be telling them to get stuck in and like you see in the big games like Mayo v Dublin, there will be all sorts going on.

As I said last week, I think the top 6 (or so) teams are at a very different level to those under them like Cork, Meath and Roscommon (dangerous to say I know). They just seem to suffocate those teams and make it very hard for them to get scores and then pick them off with much easier scores.
I'd say teams like Cavan, Monaghan and the Rossies must be fed up meeting Tyrone most years. Maybe Rossies will finally take their chance this weekend.

imtommygunn

What time in a match and what the score is should have absolutely no bearing on a referee's decision.

BennyHarp

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2019, 12:43:00 PM
What time in a match and what the score is should have absolutely no bearing on a referee's decision.

Yeah, i agree but if you put the word "deliberate" into the rule then you are automatically removing the decision being solely on the tackle and then your are required to subjectively measure intent - therefore other factors should be considered when a tackle is hardly an obvious card. The rule needs to be looked at again as it is not fit for purpose.
That was never a square ball!!