Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: highorlow on February 18, 2019, 12:05:02 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-on-how-coaches-are-driving-fans-to-despair-and-tackles-four-examples-of-fake-news-in-gaelic-football-37826079.html

Very defensive article from Pet here. Must be a change coming down the line in RTE regarding "pundits".

Yeah looks like the game is up for the Spoofer of all Spoofers!

''This is the dilemma I face: do I attempt to make a silk purse out a sow's ear by bamboozling the viewers with graphics and diagrams or just call it as I see it.''

Also

''Maybe so – at best this is a subjective topic – but if the analysis is so good on Sky, how come when the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.''

That's because RTE is free to air Pat! People have to pay extra money to have Sky Sports.

BennyHarp

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-on-how-coaches-are-driving-fans-to-despair-and-tackles-four-examples-of-fake-news-in-gaelic-football-37826079.html

Very defensive article from Pet here. Must be a change coming down the line in RTE regarding "pundits".

There is a  certain irony in Pat, one of the GAA's great backward thinkers, calling some coaches "cavemen".
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Liked Joe's article on John Morrison on the independant.ie site today.

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 18, 2019, 12:15:02 PM

''This is the dilemma I face: do I attempt to make a silk purse out a sow's ear by bamboozling the viewers with graphics and diagrams or just call it as I see it.''

Also

''Maybe so – at best this is a subjective topic – but if the analysis is so good on Sky, how come when the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.''

That's because RTE is free to air Pat! People have to pay extra money to have Sky Sports.
Not quite so, when the same game is shown simultaneously on Sky and RTE, the viewing figures drop dramatically  for Sky and RTE is the recipient. Sky subscribers flock in droves to watch the game on RTE.

twohands!!!

Quotebut if the analysis is so good on Sky, how come when the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.

RTE 2 had a reach of 76% according to TAM's figures from November whereas SkySports top channel had a reach of 16%.

So basically RTE 2 is available to almost 5 times the number of viewers, yet Pat is boasting about RTE getting a majority.  ::)

Says it all about his ability to analyse.

Main Street

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 19, 2019, 04:15:41 PM
Quotebut if the analysis is so good on Sky, how come when the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.

RTE 2 had a reach of 76% according to TAM's figures from November whereas SkySports top channel had a reach of 16%.

So basically RTE 2 is available to almost 5 times the number of viewers, yet Pat is boasting about RTE getting a majority.  ::)

I'd quest your ability to analyse. Pat is boasing that when the game is available live on both networks, sky subscribers abandon the chalkbord analysis in numbers and flock to RTE's Sunday Game. This is true iin the other gaelic sports.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on February 19, 2019, 05:33:55 PM

I'd quest your ability to analyse. Pat is boasing that when the game is available live on both networks, sky subscribers abandon the chalkbord analysis in numbers and flock to RTE's Sunday Game. This is true iin the other gaelic sports.

Quotewhen the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.

Do you not understand what reach means?

For every 1 house which can watch SkySports in Ireland there are 5 houses that can watch RTE 2.

And Pat is boasting about RTE getting the majority of the viewership.

Main Street

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 19, 2019, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 19, 2019, 05:33:55 PM

Quotewhen the same game is shown simultaneously on the two stations, the vast majority of TV viewers tune in to the RTE coverage.

Do you not understand what reach means?

For every 1 house which can watch SkySports in Ireland there are 5 houses that can watch RTE 2.

And Pat is boasting about RTE getting the majority of the viewership.
Well if he had said that the vast majority of sky subscribers when faced with  the same game  shown simultaneously on the two networks will still flock to watch the game on RTE, then it would have made more sense and be more germane to the point he was making.
The viewing figures indicate that even if 100% of  Irish households had sky subs, they would still flock in vast numbers to watch RTE on All Ireland day, or any day in any GAA sport, when the game is shown on both networks.

Personally if I had both and wasn't allowed to flick in between by a mad mullah, I would watch the game in its entireity on RTE.
I wonder how BBCNI fares when faced with the might of RTE butting in, I suspect it does alright and holds onto its viewers?

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on February 18, 2019, 04:08:24 PM

Also

Not quite so, when the same game is shown simultaneously on Sky and RTE, the viewing figures drop dramatically  for Sky and RTE is the recipient. Sky subscribers flock in droves to watch the game on RTE.
Link to back up that claim?

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on February 21, 2019, 06:40:52 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 18, 2019, 04:08:24 PM

Also

Link to back up that claim?
Sure I can, but am I not wasting my time being scholarly  ::)  Is there an example where such a link on any matter in this forum where financial doping or Sky television GAA deal was being debated,  that such a link to solid information contradicting your beliefs, made any difference to your opinions?

But hey, let's spell out a few real life examples

http://historyhub.ie/sports-rights-commercialization-revisited-sky-and-the-gaa
'Incidentally, and unsurprisingly, when games were shown simultaneously on both channels, RTÉ won hands-down: Take for example the drawn 2014 All-Ireland hurling final where Sky averaged 15,600 viewers (with a peak of 26,300), while RTÉ averaged 577,000 (with a peak of 935,000); or the Dublin v Donegal 2014 All-Ireland Football Semi-Final: (Sky: average viewers: 5,400; average share: 0.5%; RTÉ: average viewers, 665,000; average share, 60.2%.)´

Those pathetic sky viewing figures for an AI slumped from the low figures that Sky had with their exclusive coverage games.

And considering that those Sky exclusive coverage games had less nationwide public interest than an AI final, makes their AI viewing figures even more pathetic. By rights, Sky should have quadrupled their 1/4 final viewing figures , instead the Sky AI figures hit the floor with a thump

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/sky-ratings-dwarfed-by-rte-457260.html

average viewing figures for  sky's exclusive coverage 2017
Cork Clare  munster final  39,000
Monaghan Tyrone  41,000 
Tyrone Armagh 62,000

2017 simultaneous coverage
´All-Ireland SHC semi-final revealed an average home viewing figure of just 1,183 watched the game on Sky Sports in the Republic of Ireland. In contrast, 532,000 took in the game on RTÉ2´.

It's a wrap.

BennyHarp

On a scale of one to ten. With one being that Peter Canavan doesn't even have Joe Brollys phone number. How likely is the phone call in this article to actually have taken place?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-miracle-men-are-no-fluke-as-god-will-tell-you-37872163.html
That was never a square ball!!

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 03, 2019, 09:31:51 PM
On a scale of one to ten. With one being that Peter Canavan doesn't even have Joe Brollys phone number. How likely is the phone call in this article to actually have taken place?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-miracle-men-are-no-fluke-as-god-will-tell-you-37872163.html
Based on a Darragh OSe article from a few years ago I would say it is more likely one of Joes other personalities talking to himself.

dublin7

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 03, 2019, 10:27:15 PM

I hope that Canavan will come out and say that the phone call didn't happen.

If the only thing you could take out of Joe's article today is did he really call Peter Canavan then what the f**k? I thought his opinions on trying on trying to teach players to play with both feet was actually very interesting and worth further discussion. How many of the dublin players, especially in the forwards are equally comfortable on both feet? Compare that to how many of the Mayo team who pushed them so close are two footed

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on March 03, 2019, 10:40:25 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 03, 2019, 10:27:15 PM

I hope that Canavan will come out and say that the phone call didn't happen.

If the only thing you could take out of Joe's article today is did he really call Peter Canavan then what the f**k? I thought his opinions on trying on trying to teach players to play with both feet was actually very interesting and worth further discussion. How many of the dublin players, especially in the forwards are equally comfortable on both feet? Compare that to how many of the Mayo team who pushed them so close are two footed

Leave us out of this! Ye have had ye're Financial Doping and Home games to boot!