Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

The GAA isn't interested in changing anything.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:17:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PM
I think an offensive mark would help. For example a player who fields the ball clean inside the opposition 20m line should get a free in. I think the not allowed move backwards inside the opposition half won't work, it will actually make it more defensive. For example if you knew the opposition couldnt go backwards after crossing into your half, wouldnt you have all your players sit deep until they crossed the line and then press out as soon as they did cross the line? It might be interesting but its not what I would consider Football.

An offensive mark would totally change the character of the game for the worse. It would largely kill off points from play as we know them. No thanks.

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PMOne thing that is worth considering is going to 13 a side. More space means harder to have a mass defense.
Would mean more focus on fitness and less on skill. No thanks.

Fitness is already the top focus. Pace and skill would potentially take precedence over being able to organise yourself into a defensive shape.

I think the mark would be hard to predict but it has to be worth a trial.

I say "No Thanks" to doing nothing

shawshank

Cannot agree with the Kick out being over the 45, can you see the tactic, managers taking four of their forwards out into the middle section of the field with clear instruction on breaking ball and swarming around the break and intensified tackling, just a mess with no fluid football, unlike what we have now with possession based kick outs and a lot more football played as a result. Very short sighted.

Rossfan

Non stop POSSESSION is the main problem! !!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shawshank

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2018, 12:34:11 PM

Yes, but non stop possession is on the basic principle of the ability to fist pass the ball rather than kick it, therefore the kick out is NOT the fundamental issue.

trileacman

Quote from: shawshank on September 18, 2018, 01:39:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2018, 12:34:11 PM

Yes, but non stop possession is on the basic principle of the ability to fist pass the ball rather than kick it, therefore the kick out is NOT the fundamental issue.

The problem with short kick outs are that it's easy to win by the team in possession so the defending team automatically withdraw their forwards to the 45 where they stand a better chance of turning over the ball. A long kick out to the 45 would at least mean players would be committed to the midfield as opposed to inside their 45m.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trailer

Quote from: CJ2017 on October 01, 2018, 04:52:47 AM
Exclusion Zone for Joe Brolly
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/exclusion-zone-can-destroy-blanket-joe-brolly-outlines-his-plan-to-make-football-a-skillbased-spectacle-once-again-37368216.html

Unbelievable. The man is mentally retarded. Imagine coming up with this idea, and then imagine printing it in a newspaper.
Joe, no one is laughing with you, everyone is laughing at you.

blewuporstuffed

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/exclusion-zone-can-destroy-blanket-joe-brolly-outlines-his-plan-to-make-football-a-skillbased-spectacle-once-again-37368216.html
I agree with him that all the calls for limiting the fist pass completely miss the point, but this suggestion is unworkable in the real world.
It would probably work perfectly on Planet Joe
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

five points

Unless I'm missing something, a team defending  30-yard free would have to leave the goalie on his own defending the goals if the attacking team's forwards all stood back from the exclusion zone?

JoG2

Quote from: trailer on October 01, 2018, 10:12:31 AM

Unbelievable. The man is mentally retarded. Imagine coming up with this idea, and then imagine printing it in a newspaper.
Joe, no one is laughing with you, everyone is laughing at you.

you may disagree but that the line in bold is out of order

thewobbler

It's a remarkably awful idea.

If this is what he's after, why not just limit the maximum number of players per team in each half to 9, or within each 45 to 8 or 9?

No new pitch lines needed. No major adjustment to time-served playing positions and roles. No great difficulty to referee, so long as everyone can accept that a passive transgression (ie Johnny wanders over halfway line, does a count, quickly wanders back.... without getting involved in play) by a player does not merit a punishment.