So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Bingo

Truth been told I've seen very black cards unless they been obvious pull downs. Everything seems to be yellow cards now. Even last night at a Jun B game we had a player who checked a players run and put him down, very obvious black card. Ref put hand up to say he seen it, let play go on and then called player in when it was stopped. Was sure it was a black card but give him yellow. (Was delighted as I was the only sub on the bench!).

I'd not mind too much but this isn't the exception in what I've seen but the norm.

You must be getting the raw end BC1!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on May 07, 2015, 04:38:57 PM
Truth been told I've seen very black cards unless they been obvious pull downs. Everything seems to be yellow cards now. Even last night at a Jun B game we had a player who checked a players run and put him down, very obvious black card. Ref put hand up to say he seen it, let play go on and then called player in when it was stopped. Was sure it was a black card but give him yellow. (Was delighted as I was the only sub on the bench!).

I'd not mind too much but this isn't the exception in what I've seen but the norm.

Funny for a change I was on the innocent end of things!!!

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 07, 2015, 04:23:58 PM
In terms of the sledging I have witnessed 2 black cards for verbal abuse of the ref this season.  I saw a few last season but it also depends on the refs.

Was that not the gist of Horan's complaint?
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 07, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 07, 2015, 04:38:57 PM

Funny for a change I was on the innocent end of things!!!

I suppose its early in the year yet  :)

highorlow

QuoteIn terms of the sledging I have witnessed 2 black cards for verbal abuse of the ref this season.  I saw a few last season but it also depends on the refs.

Was that not the gist of Horan's complaint?

Maybe some refs believe they are pricks when they are told it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Re the third man tackle, I'm not sure if this was a Mayo only thing in league games, - where I've witnessed it but I'm sick to the back teeth of this one in all in approach to the 'minibrawls'. Happened quite a few times during our league games. Let the two players sort it out among themselves says I and not have all players running in and causing havoc for refs. Usually no card is given and the play resumes with a hop ball.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
Re the third man tackle, I'm not sure if this was a Mayo only thing in league games, - where I've witnessed it but I'm sick to the back teeth of this one in all in approach to the 'minibrawls'. Happened quite a few times during our league games. Let the two players sort it out among themselves says I and not have all players running in and causing havoc for refs. Usually no card is given and the play resumes with a hop ball.

Don't change the rules of the game any more.

Simply fine County Boards €100,000 for each brawl or fracas involving 2 or more players from their team.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2015, 09:25:17 PM

Simply fine County Boards €100,000 for each brawl or fracas involving 2 or more players from their team.

Sure why stop at 100k when you could fine them 100,000,000,000m?

It's pure fantasy to think that any county has that sort of cash around to pay fines. They'd all need an emergency payment from Central council.

It's also completely  mental that you think an institution should be fined for the impulsive behaviour of a player. It's not like the county board could pass the fine onto the player. Meanwhile, 2 schools coaches are given the boot to pay your fine.

Think things out ffs.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2015, 09:31:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2015, 09:25:17 PM

Sure why stop at 100k when you could fine them 100,000,000,000m?

It's pure fantasy to think that any county has that sort of cash around to pay fines. They'd all need an emergency payment from Central council.

It's also completely  mental that you think an institution should be fined for the impulsive behaviour of a player. It's not like the county board could pass the fine onto the player. Meanwhile, 2 schools coaches are given the boot to pay your fine.

Think things out ffs.

Firstly, this is what happens in real organisations. If a McDonalds employee hits me, I will sue McDonalds and I will most likely win.

Secondly, are you mad? Are you aware that there is money spent by CBs on players whether it is expenses, meals or holidays?

Think things out yourself ffs.

Due to our knockout competition and tradition of playing potential champions against minnows, frustration can lead to such brawls. Penalising the players with suspensions etc is futile, as banning a player for a match is a punishment that varies wildly from being a 1st round backdoor match to an All Ireland Final.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

McDonalds is a profit making organisation in which every employee is paid, registered and trained - then insured against such behaviour. There is no form of recourse or recompense if a player steps out of line though, which is why you are a mentaller.

County boards don't have two shillings to run together, and those expensive trips you talk of are either funded by donors, or are already putting the couny in its knees.

I've a very serious question for you - from what source (apart from donors) would a county board accumulate €100k? If you think gate receipts you've genuinely no idea how GAA money works.

You've been spending too long reading soccer columns.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on May 13, 2015, 07:08:53 AM
McDonalds is a profit making organisation in which every employee is paid, registered and trained - then insured against such behaviour. There is no form of recourse or recompense if a player steps out of line though, which is why you are a mentaller.

County boards don't have two shillings to run together, and those expensive trips you talk of are either funded by donors, or are already putting the couny in its knees.

I've a very serious question for you - from what source (apart from donors) would a county board accumulate €100k? If you think gate receipts you've genuinely no idea how GAA money works.

You've been spending too long reading soccer columns.

Oh grow up ffs.

If you (the one who quoted the figure 100,000,000,000m) think the figure was a bit high then just say so.

The point is still valid. If we are serious about ending the problem then fine them viciously and it would end rapido.

As for 'how would a CB accumulate 100k'? Seriously? You don't think county boards don't take in €100k in a year?
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

You're tying yourself up in knots muppet.

It's not about turnover it's about ability to pay.

Fines, as a form of punishment, are used as a deterrent. They should only disable the function of an organisation when it is guilty of malicious malpractice.

A potential fine of €1k is enough for a county board to make a clear statement to players that some things are unacceptable.

But a player in the heat of a battle is going to forget or ignore this request, regardless of consequence. Ultimately this form of punishment has no direct impact on them unless they are suspended.

The utterly ridiculous figure you have recommended won't change this one iota.

Yet you'd see fit to cripple a county board, and therefore all the clubs and structures within its county, as a result of the indiscretion.

Insane.

Canalman

Sadly and to be perfectly blunt about it alot and I mean alot of players would laugh at the fact that their antics caused their club or county to be fined heavily. A badge of honour for some.

Was at a club game last year when a referee handled a massive "hold me back/  pushing and shoving " incident. Yellow card for the two lads initially involved. Dramatically  then called the first in from each club and redcarded them both. The looks on their faces was priceless.

Brilliant game of football afterwards.

winghalfun

QuoteMeanwhile, 2 schools coaches are given the boot to pay your fine.

Are school coaches on €50000 a year or do you mean one of the consequences of the €100000 fine will be to lose 2 coaches?

If it's the latter, I could think of better ways to cover the €100000 rather than making people redundant.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on May 13, 2015, 10:54:50 AM
You're tying yourself up in knots muppet.

It's not about turnover it's about ability to pay.

Fines, as a form of punishment, are used as a deterrent. They should only disable the function of an organisation when it is guilty of malicious malpractice.

A potential fine of €1k is enough for a county board to make a clear statement to players that some things are unacceptable.

But a player in the heat of a battle is going to forget or ignore this request, regardless of consequence. Ultimately this form of punishment has no direct impact on them unless they are suspended.

The utterly ridiculous figure you have recommended won't change this one iota.

Yet you'd see fit to cripple a county board, and therefore all the clubs and structures within its county, as a result of the indiscretion.

Insane.

Either you have a worthwhile penalty or forget it.

Suspensions have been tried and have had no impact whatsoever.

Imposing a serious fine on the authority responsible might have a better impact. We can debate the figure if you want. But a €1,000 is going to be no where near effective enough. And as for crippling a county board, you completely miss the point that it would be the offenders that would do that.
MWWSI 2017